• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

redwingers: boot pics, and advice sought

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got my first pair of used redwings online and I really like the boot. Need some advice, though. The seller mistook some model markings as sizing on the exterior of the boot, and listed them as a 9.5D. The boot is in fact a 10A, as indicated on the insole.

My foot is a standard 10D (hence my intention to size down the 9.5 for redwing). Numbers aside, the boots fit fine in the length. My toes move freely without too much extra space. But because they are a narrow 'A' , they hug the balls of my feet. It's slight, and not uncomfortable, even when I walked with them outside for several hours while shopping.

For those who have more redwing-wearing experience, can I expect to enjoy any give in the width of the boot over time? Or is this a simple case of "the boot don't fit" and a return and refund due to improper listing?

If they stretch just a touch, I'm fine. If not, I'll send them back.

If anyone can tell what model this is, or what year they came out (listed as 'vintage' but that could mean anything) then I would be interested to know.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will stretch a smidgen, anything thats put under stress by tension will give a little, not so much with leather but in your case it would be enough, this is more obvious with jeans.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its just the leather sides, those will probably stretch a bit. If the last and leather insole itself is too narrow, its nothing to do.

Nice boots, I belive its an older model thats not in production anylonger.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

My impression is that it's just the sides of the boots, not a last or insole issue. But then, how do you tell?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ If you feel the edges of the insole itself with your feet, its too narrow.

Talous

Reaction score
They definitely do stretch out. Wearing a pair of really thick socks (or two, preferably) will probably help to stretch it out faster. If it is really tight, probably nothing will ever work to make them comfortable.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, bobo.

Definately don't feel the edges of the insoles. They are not really tight, just snug, and after some hours of wear last night, and more this morning, they have yet to feel uncomfortable. I don't need much stretch, just a thin sock's worth.

I'm gonna hold on to them, wear them, and see what happens.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^In that case, you should be good. I have had limited luck with stretching RWs in the past, but if the comfort is good otherwise, and the toebox isnt too small, you´ll probably get it to work.

(right this moment, im wearing some old RW chelseas with thick socks, in hope of getting some stretch out of them... damn narrow boots.)

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, they seem like a moc toe version of one of my favourite boots
boots004.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, which boot is that? Those are nice, and I was already thinking that I'd like to get a plain toe version of the boots I have, but in a darker (preferably chocolate / dark brown) leather.

Good luck with the Chelseas. I've been trolling for some brown RM turnout or craftsman in 9g but they don't seem to come up much.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ cant remember the number, but they are no longer in production (which Im pretty certain goes for your boots aswell).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads