• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Skelt11

Reaction score
They are 8111 the Amber Harness. Definitely got a lot darker from oiling them.
What oil are you using on them? I got my first pair today and can't decide on what to use. They gave me a small sample of mink oil but I ordered some Obernauf's LP.

Glorysends

Reaction score

What oil are you using on them? I got my first pair today and can't decide on what to use. They gave me a small sample of mink oil but I ordered some Obernauf's LP. 

I have just been using Red Wing mink oil. I've been out of the LP oil and haven't ordered any more.

theukeryme

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I am choosing between IR models and I would appreciate if you post a few pictures of the worn one with wax applied(sno seal or Obenauf's LP').
Particularly I am interested in 8111 and 8115, but 8114 is fine too.

Glorysends

Reaction score

Hi guys.
I am choosing between IR models and I would appreciate if you post a few pictures of the worn one with wax applied(sno seal or Obenauf's LP').
Particularly I am interested in 8111 and 8115, but 8114 is fine too.

Well if you go back a page you can see my 8111 with RW mink oil applied.

Franziskaner

Reaction score
Hi all. Long-time lurker, first time poster.
This thread has been a useful resource for me as I'd been hankering after some IRs for a long time, and recently got some 8111s shipped over from the US. I live in the UK.
I went through some similar dilemmas to others here after reading all the advice about sizing down, not sizing down, are they narrow and long, are they true to size etc. etc.

It occurs to me that not many people are mentioning their foot shape, which is clearly important. It is also not something that the majority of average-priced shoe sizing takes into account. Those of us who regularly wear fitted dress shoes (not me) may have an accurate idea of what they need in terms of shape & width, but most of us with average proportions just have a vague 'I guess my feet are kind of wide-ish...?' idea, as we don't go about barefoot, staring at other men's feet and comparing.
Anyway, I know my feet are VERY wide. I would say I'm a US 11EE at least. They are only a size 11 in length, but I often go up 1/2-1 size to get the right width in my casual shoes & Vans, that do not offer extra-wide sizes.

I tried on several pairs of IRs here in London, after explaining to the shop guy what I thought I would need. He says the EE widths are not available in the EU, and brings out a pair of US 12Ds, saying I would probably need to size up.

They were HUGE. Seriously. I looked like Sideshow Bob. About 1.5", maybe 2" space at the end of my toes. They also felt narrow, but not uncomfortably so. So I asked for some US11s. These were better in terms of length - still long - but definitely very tight for width. I briefly thought I might compromise & buy these, but after talking to the helpful shop dude a bit, I decided to wait.

A few days later I took the plunge and ordered some US10 EE online from the US - a full size smaller that what I usually wear. They are almost perfect. They could be a little wider still, but they will stretch as they wear in, and there is a good amount of toe-box space.
They were pretty comfortable out of the box, especially with thicker socks, and they are getting better & better the more I wear them. I think they will be the perfect boot for 6 months of the year here.

So I would say if your feet are even moderately wide, consider sizing down a full size and going for the EE. If you have long slim kangaroo-feet, you may well find they fit true to size, or maybe a 1/2 size down.

Sorry for rambling. I hope this is helpful.

scoobydrew

Reaction score
I completely agree with you. If you have wide(r) feet, don't hesitate to at least size down 1 full size and go EE.

jstrath406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else wear orthotics/inserts, and if so how did you size? I'm almost positive I'd be a 7.5 without my orthotics (8.5 in Nike, 8 in most other shoes), but I need to wear them in pretty much all my shoes to getting foot pain after a while. I'm considering sizing up to an 8 to fit them in but don't want them to end up being loose length wise. Normally I just swap the stock insoles with mine and everything's fine but for boots like these it's not an option.

laxer8

Reaction score
Does anyone else wear orthotics/inserts, and if so how did you size? I'm almost positive I'd be a 7.5 without my orthotics (8.5 in Nike, 8 in most other shoes), but I need to wear them in pretty much all my shoes to getting foot pain after a while. I'm considering sizing up to an 8 to fit them in but don't want them to end up being loose length wise. Normally I just swap the stock insoles with mine and everything's fine but for boots like these it's not an option.
I'm usually a 13 and went down to an 11.5, with inserts in they are a little tight but should stretch out after some more wear. I'd use your best judgement depending on what your orthotics/inserts are like.

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

Hi all. Long-time lurker, first time poster.
This thread has been a useful resource for me as I'd been hankering after some IRs for a long time, and recently got some 8111s shipped over from the US. I live in the UK.
I went through some similar dilemmas to others here after reading all the advice about sizing down, not sizing down, are they narrow and long, are they true to size etc. etc.

It occurs to me that not many people are mentioning their foot shape, which is clearly important. It is also not something that the majority of average-priced shoe sizing takes into account. Those of us who regularly wear fitted dress shoes (not me) may have an accurate idea of what they need in terms of shape & width, but most of us with average proportions just have a vague 'I guess my feet are kind of wide-ish...?' idea, as we don't go about barefoot, staring at other men's feet and comparing.
Anyway, I know my feet are VERY wide. I would say I'm a US 11EE at least. They are only a size 11 in length, but I often go up 1/2-1 size to get the right width in my casual shoes & Vans, that do not offer extra-wide sizes.

I tried on several pairs of IRs here in London, after explaining to the shop guy what I thought I would need. He says the EE widths are not available in the EU, and brings out a pair of US 12Ds, saying I would probably need to size up.

They were HUGE. Seriously. I looked like Sideshow Bob. About 1.5", maybe 2" space at the end of my toes. They also felt narrow, but not uncomfortably so. So I asked for some US11s. These were better in terms of length - still long - but definitely very tight for width. I briefly thought I might compromise & buy these, but after talking to the helpful shop dude a bit, I decided to wait.

A few days later I took the plunge and ordered some US10 EE online from the US - a full size smaller that what I usually wear. They are almost perfect. They could be a little wider still, but they will stretch as they wear in, and there is a good amount of toe-box space.
They were pretty comfortable out of the box, especially with thicker socks, and they are getting better & better the more I wear them. I think they will be the perfect boot for 6 months of the year here.

So I would say if your feet are even moderately wide, consider sizing down a full size and going for the EE. If you have long slim kangaroo-feet, you may well find they fit true to size, or maybe a 1/2 size down.

Sorry for rambling. I hope this is helpful.

I measure to an 11D on a Braddock Device, and my 9.5EE fit great. I found the 10.5D to be too tight, and the 10EE to be too long. I think the D width in the Iron Ranger is more like a C or B.

red81

Reaction score
i got my iron ranger's in D, and they are very narrow, after about 6 months of wear 2-3 days a week, no stretching still (width wise). looking at their stitching, doesn't look they ever will.

here's a size comparison:

9.5D (too narrow) in black iron ranger:

clarks db: 10
nike free 5.0: 10.5
allen edmonds strand: 9.5 E
allen edmonds park avenue: 10D ( fits about the same as strand)
red wing 877: 10D (still slightly narrow, just got them, still breaking in)
red wing 1907: 10D (hell to break in, fit perfect now)
jack purcells: 10.5

to conclude, if in doubt, size up in width.

heavyhoody

Reaction score

About a year of wearing to work everyday. Obenaufs LP once a month, horsehair brush every couple days. Love these boots!

pvoytko

Reaction score
Here are my 8111s. About 3 months in, full day wear 3-4 days a week. I use doc martens wonder balsalm on the regular. Kind of wish i got the brooks brothers iron rangers instead, they were only 100 more.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks beautiful!

I ordered a pair of 8113 Red Wings in Hawthorne Muleskinner..should I apply a coat of leather protectant / waterproof (worried I might darken the colour) or just start wearing and beating them up? Roughout leather.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads