• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

lsmythe

Reaction score
It occurred to me that people interested in the iron rangers might want to know what they look like before/after applying the Obenauf's oil followed by the protectant. Below is a picture of two (2) right boots. One untreated out of the box (left) and one with the Obenauf's leather oil & LP applied (right:)

The one on the right was treated with the Obenauf's leather oil and LP. Worn ~20-30 times, light wear.

The boot on the left is the new one, untreated right out of the box.

(The reason I have two pairs: a month ago I bought 10Ds, too big, and bought 9.5's which I think aren't snug but I'll stick with since I ain't moving back-to-front no more. I'm selling the 10Ds.)

Hopefully the picture gives you some idea what to expect. Certainly it's not enough contrast to discourage or surprise me, though, leather lightens. This is really splitting hairs IMHO.

jazz129

Reaction score
Hi

just one question

I want to buy the Danner Mountain light Mckenzie but a litte bit concerned about the size. I have red wing iron rangers and beckmans in size 10,5 and wolverine 1k mile in the same size. Do you think I should go for the same size for the danner mountain light?

Thanks
Pete

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi

just one question

I want to buy the Danner Mountain light Mckenzie but a litte bit concerned about the size. I have red wing iron rangers and beckmans in size 10,5 and wolverine 1k mile in the same size. Do you think I should go for the same size for the danner mountain light?

Thanks
Pete

I would say yes. I wear 10 in Beckmans and I have the Mtn Light Lownsdale (1st Danner/Tanner collab) in 10. FYI, the Danners will fit 100% better w/ a Superfoot insole (or something similar). They don't really come w/ an insole/sock liner, and the little plastic heel counter insert they include is basically worthless.

shrugged41

Reaction score
When looking through this thread to decide on the black, I noticed two posts with pictures, one by AndrewDoesHair, and by bargerhm. The side edges of the outsoles look different for each of these, Andrew's looks more rubberish while bargerhm's looks almost like wood. Was there a change in the construction of the Iron Ranger or is this something that was done with a product or developed overtime? Thanks very much.

cathpah

Reaction score
For those interested, I just heard back from Red Wing about resoling my iron rangers to a leather midsole and commando sole (same as the Beckman), and they said it's both possible andonly $95. That's quite a bit cheaper than B. Nelson would be. I'm mighty tempted to do it with the winter months coming up.

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
Would i take my beckman size in iron ranger?
I'm a 9 in Beckmans and an 8.5 in IRs. I assumed I'd be the same, but when I laced up the IRs in a 9, I couldn't even get the boot tight around my foot. Surprised the hell outta me.

JustlMe

Reaction score
Planning to grab me a pair of these but worried about the size, I'm thinking of 10D or 9.5D
My Asic kayano 18's are at 10.5D

My measurements are at 10.5" and 4", anyone with similar measurements mind giving me some tips?

badtzwang

Reaction score
Do Clarks Desert Boots and Iron Rangers fit the same? I'm a 9.5 in Clarks Desert Boots ... wondering if I should get the same size in IR's.

arrrr

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I've just got my new RW 81111 and I'm wondering is that a defective shoe, or some sort of "unique hand made feature"? :)
(clickable)

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The clicker must've been hungry!! Only a defect aesthetically. If you can live with it, keep em. If it'll bug you (it would me) send em back

arrrr

Reaction score
Well, it bugs me a bit, cuz I think shoes like RW should not have defects like that. However sending them back will cost me alot (since they came from US and I'm in Russia). I hope this can be fixed (or at least minimized) by a good shoe service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads