1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

I'm not familiar with the LP, maybe another member can chime in but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Just keep brushing it a bit more and wear them, trust me no one will notice. The oil I use leaves a somewhat tacky feel, but not sticky, maybe just variation in the formula. It's got a nice deep colour to it actually

2. HoSouls10

HoSouls10 Member

On the topic of conditioning and care again, does this look like it needs conditioning prior to me spraying on some leather protector and wearing the heck out of them? Or is this a common appearance and texture for the 8113's. Most of the surface has the nap but there are certain spots on both that are more smooth and a little darker beige like the pic. I don't think it looks bad but if its not supposed to going on, I'd like to nip it in the bud. Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

3. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

This is totally normal. I wouldn't condition.

4. joep2k

joep2k Member

Just wondering if anyone has got photos of worn IR in copper?

I've seen plenty of amber as they must be the most popular but I'm not crazy about the way they look new in store. They look much better worn.

On the other hand I like the way the coppers look new. also wondering if the colour eventually blends together or status contrasted..

5. Carson

Carson Senior member

Gentlemen,

When it comes to "treatment and care" of leather boots these days, people really tend to overdo it and even get obsessive about it. Unless you are spending a regular amount of time in extreme conditions, the typical Iron Ranger doesn't need anything put on it, straight out of the box. Most people end up somewhat (or a lot) disappointed when their lovely colored Amber, Copper, Hawthorne, etc IR's get all dark and monochromatic on them after applying Obenauf's or applying a lot of boot oil. Obenauf's LP is really for boots that are going to be seeing extreme conditions that most people who buy IR's are not going to be putting their boots through. If you spend time on the shoe care thread, you'll see time and time again that people over do it and obsess about it. I know it's because people are dropping serious $$ on their boot collections and want to take care of their boots, but all of these boots, whether it's White's, Alden, Red Wing, or whatever are well made and generally don't need a bunch of goop put on them unless you are going to be spending serious time in snow, wading through puddles, etc, etc. If the later is you, plenty of info on that abound. If that's not you, lace 'em up and enjoy them…{specifically to the gentleman with the Hawthorne IR's, after wearing those for a month, they will looking nothing like they do when they are new, so I wouldn't worry about any discolorations, etc. It's just the beginning…}

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. Carson

Carson Senior member

If you don't put anything on them (oil, Obenauf's, etc), the contrast of the pull-up effect is quite nice. It's a great leather that patina's well. I still haven't put anything on mine because I don't want to chance ruining the color...

7. Carson

Carson Senior member

Below, untreated after moderate wear in a big boot rotation:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. HoSouls10

HoSouls10 Member

For what it's worth, with my new Hawthornes, I simply sprayed on a light dose of Red Wing leather protector and called it a day. Enjoying them so far and sure I will continue to do so. We'll see what the world decides to do to them. I'll post pics when they begin to take on some more character for sure.

9. joep2k

joep2k Member

They look awesome. Thanks for the pictures.

Ended up picking up a pair of the 8115 Copper's. Thought I'd post some pics of what they look like, but they are quite a bit lighter than yours and other sizes in the store which have a slightly darker shade. I think I like them but have found they look best with jeans, not so much with khaki. Maybe once they darken a bit

I'm thinking to use some Venetian shoe cream on them to protect them slightly and shine them up a bit. Has anyone tried this by any chance?
    I've also got Obenauf's LP but will save those for my Beckman's I've got for the winter, and yes we get tons of snow here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. baethos

baethos Member

Hi All. Picked up a pair of 8111's just today, worn them for about half a day, love them so far! Great boot! Just a quick question, anyone know where I can find better laces? I hear some people use the beckman laces? Where can I find these? I don't like the stock laces too much and they're a bit short. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, probably should have checked first. Saw this: http://www.redwingheritage.com/laces/
    Anyone know which ones are the beckman laces? Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  11. Carson

Carson Senior member

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea. Some people use a suede brush to bring up the nap. I don't like RW's suede brush. If you want one, try Kirby's Hanger Project.

12. Carson

Carson Senior member

The color on yours is great. I'd be curious to see how the Venetian goes. I've never used it. Some people have used Saphir Renovateur on 8111's without too much darkening. I'm still paranoid about darkening mine because I really like the copper pull up effect. It would be nice to find something that would give it a good sheen without over darkening. LP would be too much... I like how they look with black denim, olive chinos, indigo denim, but yeah, not great with khaki...

13. joep2k

joep2k Member

I've used Venetian in the past which didn't darken the leather noticeably on darker leathers (black cherry) though not sure about lighter, I may try it on the tongue let it sit a few day and see, thought it's not the best indicator, might at least give me an idea. If I used it on the Amber, I think you wouldn't see a difference at all based on the dark original color.

14. RockyMtn970

RockyMtn970 New Member

HoSouls10
    I think your worn muleskinners look great. Oops now I see you posted pics of what you hope yours look like after wear.

They will eventually.....I finally sold a pair that looked like that (really worn pair- which I loved the look) on fleabay only because the sizing even after wearing long time was giving me too many problems....hurt...

have had the following and having problems:

Wear 11 in most boots and shoes (in the 90's Timberland Chukkas made in USA best fitting shoes I ever owned)

I've recently owned these RWs

1. unknown size vintage 40s or 50s redwing (look like beckman style) too big but fit better than all the rest of my RWs, can wear unlaced or untied and do not feel like my foot is slipping. I have kept these and recently had to resole with RW and they put Beckman style soles on which initially shocked me but are OK I guess. original soles were leather with rubber block heel. owned these since 2004 from flea bay purchase and they never ever hurt my feet or body.

And all the newer versions
    11 1/2 M IR Muleskinner hurt my heel, looked incredibly awesome worn in but SOLD
    12 M Beckman black , so big that they felt like they were coming off foot. could never wear in unlaced mode , I had them looking really awesome but SOLD
    11 M Beckman black too small look like I have miniture feet and very weird with pants SOLD
    11 EE Harness IR feel too big but not hurting my heel, so undecided
    11 M IR black. kind of tight, narrow in ball of foot, could be hurting my heel, i cant narrow down which boot is doing it

Also, having some lower back pain which I have never really had , and it has come up going through all these beckman and IR sizes...Im almost to the point of ditching them all. I have been trying custom footbeds then switched to arch supports...none of these combos seem to be working due to what the fit becomes after adding the supplemental systems....for instance..the 11M black IR fit fine with no arch support or foot beds, but hurt the hell out of my hell and I suspect contributed to lower back pain. so, once I put in either foot beds or arch supports the fit is super tight in the ball of foot and toes as the foot is raised inside the boot.

15. HoSouls10

HoSouls10 Member

Which brush on there do you recommend? I did get the RW brush, but its my first time brushing boots, so I clearly have no idea what I'm doing. Technique, frequency etc..

16. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

The flat waxed are the ones used on beckman boots. Personally, I use the chestnut rawhide leather ones on my 8111s

17. Carson

Carson Senior member

To be honest, I have tended to avoid suede and rough out boots. I sold my hawthorne IR's after about 3 weeks. I found that the RW brush was kind of harsh on the rough out and it messed up some suede chukkas I had. I would try to find something more gentle than the hard plastic bristles they have on theirs. I just brush up the nap pretty gently on my chukkas and, approx, a few times a month. It really just depends on how you're going to wear them. Some people like their hawthorne's roughed up...

18. Carson

Carson Senior member

I am sure it would be fine on amber harness…post some pics if you do it

19. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Completely drag my Hawthrones through rain and snow. Beat up is how they're supposed to be.

20. HoSouls10

HoSouls10 Member

Is brushing up the nap considered "cleaning" or is it simply giving them some texture? I get the 'looks better beat up' concept and agree, but didn't know if the brushing would be counterproductive in the beating up of the boots. I do agree that the RW brush seemed hard bristled. Appreciating all of the input guys. I'm right in the thick of it now, but little tips are always helpful.