• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

s1rrah

Reaction score
As counterpoint to my above posts? This is the same pair of boots from just this week; I swear ... they change colors every time I look at them. Such a great rendition of the classic IR (JCrew version):

redwing.jpg

boots.jpg

LeviMay

Reaction score
I was in one of the worst hit areas of Houston during Hurricane Harvey a couple months ago; our entire house was flooded and we're living in an apartment for the next six months while things are repaired.

When evacuating, my two pair of Iron Rangers were among the first, most dear items I took with me (after my computers and audio gear). My brown Brooks Bros rangers were just thrown into a nap sack but I actually *wore* my black Iron Rangers as I trudged back and forth between my flooded house and our escape truck (F250 turbo diesel) ... through about 2 to 3 foot of water. I kept thinking with every step that I had somehow ruined my beloved black IR's but now, two months after the fact? They look as good as new. I think they even look better LOL ...

Fun Iron Ranger story ...

:)

Super cool story, dude!

Sean_Lim_94

Reaction score
Just got me a pair of IR 8085. It is amazing! I chose my normal size US8 and although length wise it fits a bit long, it still creases at the right point and the breaking in period is so much easier! No pain and no blisters :).

I was wondering if any of you can provide me with some help regarding boot care, not sure if it has been covered already but why does RW recommend that some of the oiled leather use RW boot oil (e.g. Amber harness) and others like the copper RT to use leather conditioner. Is there a reason for this?

Which do you guys recommend if I want to keep as many scuffs and the colour as close to the original as possible. I understand that it will darken, but I do not want it to be as dark as when obernaufs are used. Thank you!

macher

Reaction score
Just got me a pair of IR 8085. It is amazing! I chose my normal size US8 and although length wise it fits a bit long, it still creases at the right point and the breaking in period is so much easier! No pain and no blisters :).

I was wondering if any of you can provide me with some help regarding boot care, not sure if it has been covered already but why does RW recommend that some of the oiled leather use RW boot oil (e.g. Amber harness) and others like the copper RT to use leather conditioner. Is there a reason for this?

Which do you guys recommend if I want to keep as many scuffs and the colour as close to the original as possible. I understand that it will darken, but I do not want it to be as dark as when obernaufs are used. Thank you!

Typically on the Red Wing 8 last it runs 1/2 to a full size smaller than your Brannock size. As long as they fit comfortably snug you’re good. Shouldn’t be a painful break in. Most people buy their Iron Rangers too small.

Red Wing direct customer service recommends Red Wing Leather Cream cause it will condition and won’t change the color.

ShuggieTodd

Reaction score
I just got another pair of IRs. The Black Harness ones. I really like them. I got some mink oil on them straight away as they are too matte boxfresh, for my taste.

What makes them, for me, is the way the colour of the welt pops against the black. I really want to maintain that contrast and I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on how to do that?

I even considered putting clear nail-varnish or something on the welt - I am a strange chap though!

Said-AH

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a great thread :worship: "Edited"

Last edited:

s1rrah

Reaction score
What makes them, for me, is the way the colour of the welt pops against the black. I really want to maintain that contrast and I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on how to do that?

LOL ... I'm even more OCD than you, mate. Believe it ... and I *totally* hear you on loving the light colored welt ... sadly, though? If you wear your IR's regularly and/or in any regard? That welt is going to darken real fast. But grieve not ... get some saddle soap and wash the **** out of your IR's every few months or so ... giving special care to the welt area; I use a stiff brush on mine. The welt area will be revived and *almost* back to it's virgin glory ... but just so. You will never get that delicious "pop" between the light colored welt and the black like you fell in love with at purchasing time. It's just not going to happen. But you can get real close with regular saddle soap washing. Trust me. I'm as bad as you ... and I wash my boots every three months. It's actually rather cathartic ... (and it brings that welt out a lot!) ... ;-) ... buene suerte~!

ShuggieTodd

Reaction score
Thanks for responding in a gracious way and not taking the piss! Ha ha! I know I'm sad. Buying work boots which are meant to be bashed up and then trying to keep them pristine! I've also had some Amber Harness ones for 2 years and they look good after a mink oil, but can look a bit matte otherwise. I do enjoy cleaning them though. I bought my wife a pair of RW Linemans (£99 in the sale as they were a size 6 - perfect for her) and like cleaning those up too. I find it relaxing and quite satisfying to see how the leather can be transformed.

What's really terrible is that I have a pair of rough-out IRs which I haven't worn yet - just sitting there in the box. I have a plan to wear them with white jeans and a khaki military shirt. But it needs to be the right weather (not rain). My wife laughs at my shoe fetish, but she has several pairs of designer sunglasses, which is kind of the same thing.

Thanks for the tip anyway! I have some saddle soap and will give my black harness a bash with it. For me, the black harness IRs look better box fresh, but that seems to be against public opinion, form what I've read here!

ShuggieTodd

Reaction score
Another thing I thought of doing was lightly going over the edge of the welt with a really fine sandpaper. I think that would take off some of the discolouration?

I may be overthinking things though!

s1rrah

Reaction score
Thanks for responding in a gracious way and not taking the piss! Ha ha! I know I'm sad. Buying work boots which are meant to be bashed up and then trying to keep them pristine! What's really terrible is that I have a pair of rough-out IRs which I haven't worn yet - just sitting there in the box. I have a plan to wear them with white jeans and a khaki military shirt. But it needs to be the right weather (not rain). My wife laughs at my shoe fetish, but she has several pairs of designer sunglasses, which is kind of the same thing.

"I have a plan to wear them with white jeans and a khaki military shirt. But it needs to be the right weather (not rain)." LMFAO!!! Oh ****! you are killing me!!! LMFAO!@!!!!! Best thing I've read all week I tell you. Oy vey! And here I was thinking *I* was bad. LOL ... dude ... stay freaky ... it's refreshing. LOL ...

That said?

You could always bleach the welt if your so inclined; that would surely keep the "pop" in things. Of course, you'd need a deft hand and lots of cue tips (if I'm lieing I'm dieing. LOL) . Secondly? The Iron Rangers are not work boots in my estimation .. they are what I refer to as, "God Boots" ... boots of a higher order .. much higher than lowly work boots. I would never work in my IR's (though my work boots do happen to be Red Wing Worx branded boots). As humbly and as reverentially as I may say? My Iron Rangers are reserved for only the finest of occasions, weddings, banquets, funerals, Quinceañera's and the like. You know ... really fancy ****. Here in Texas? Summer time? I rarely wear any foot coverings other than sandles; it's just the region and all and I hate being stifled. That said, I nonetheless love wearing my Iron Rangers at least twice a year ... as times call for them.

Otherwise? Get you some saddle soap and obsessively scrub those things every few months. It will keep the welt *almost* as white and shiny as new.

And thanks for the words; your just like me ... almost.

;-)

Joel

ShuggieTodd

Reaction score
Nice review! I agree with everything your assesment on the godliness of these boots! There are some parallels to our experiences too. I initially bought a UK10 (mindful that I was supposed to size down and being, I thought, a UK 11), bit it was painfully uncomfortable, so after a month, I got 10.5s. Same thing. Then I got 11s, but my toe was rubbing on the end and hurting, so finally I got UK12s. Perfect.

The other boots were all ebayed at a loss, bit what the hell.

Proportionally, I was never happy with everything the 11s either, my feet just looked too small for my height. So now I have 3 pairs of size 12 IRS. As I get older, I’m less inclined to experiment, so buying the same thing makes life easier!

Oh, and my name’s Joel too!

spedrunr

Reaction score
By far my 8113's are the most comfortable of the Iron Rangers. They were the quickest to break in and fit my feet like a glove. I like the colorways of the 9013, 9023 and 9011 but the featherstone leather is so stiff. I don't like adding any creams or oils to my shoes and prefer to break them in naturally(?)
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

Last edited:

s1rrah

Reaction score
Not too hijack the boot thread or anything but recently scored a pair of "worn only three times" black Redwing Oxford's off of ebay for a mere $118.00. This particular Oxford is *so* hard to find as the new styles are completely different and I don't like them nearly as much. Sick ass shoe ... will go great as counterpoint to my Iron Ranger boots; they basically look just like my Black Harness Iron Rangers ... just as a shoe .. same white threading, same welt, etc.... I've already ordered 73 pair of various argyle socks off of Amazon to wear with them. LMAO!:

oxford.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads