Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. WMONFETTE

WMONFETTE New Member

Just got my 8111's back from Red Wing.... got the Beckman soles put on and they look sharp!.... thinking about buying some in black and doing the same thing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

2. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Lordy those look sweet.

4. WMONFETTE

WMONFETTE New Member

5. WMONFETTE

WMONFETTE New Member

Thanks man!

6. DCBoarder

DCBoarder Member

Take it from me, they're sweet. The looked a dull charcoal grey when I bought them (which I loved) but after a light coat of the RW all natural boot paste ( Formerly all natural leather conditioner) they are a nice dark matte black.
    From the side they look close to the original cork sole on the Iron Rangers but the tread was much appreciated when the snow hit. They have become my go to boot.

7. WMONFETTE

WMONFETTE New Member

Ok so after some oil, it looks dark enough to be considered matte black? Also, I noticed from a previous post of yours that you have some Beckmans in black, which I was also considering.. Can't decide whether to get black Beckman's, or the black Iron Rangers with Beckman soles... so indeceisive!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

8. DCBoarder

DCBoarder Member

^^^

Yes Matte Black.
    When I bought them, they looked similar to this.
    (pics borrowed from intraweb ;)

[​IMG]
    After a light oiling they looked more like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are a nice matte black. As they dry out, they devolop some gray like patina.

I love the Beckmans, but they (to me) are more of a dress boot. I keep them polished up.
    The Charcoal rough and tough make a nice change of pace and for me, more of a casual look.

9. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Senior member

Have mine for a year now. Due to my other 2 chelseas (Wolverine 1K and Thursday Boots suede), I eventually moved my IR's to outdoor duties.

Worked at my rental property for 2 weeks with contractors out in the rain and mud and these held up extremely well. My feet was never wet during the whole time.

Finally cleaned these today and put a layer of RW mink oil ......good as new again.

PS: I've also hiked with these and these easily double up for those kinda activities as well. I have the 8112 which has stock vibram rubber soles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. travsirocz

travsirocz Member

11. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Senior member

Got mine redone as well with the Beckman sole (and I had RW replace the dull bronze eyelets with the chrome ones that's on the amber harness).

Freaking LOVE the new look. I was considering a pair of Whites but for now, this has pushed all boot purchases back for another year.

Funny thing is my local store called and the guy was like "hey...your boots are in now for pickup but man, the beckman sole make the IR totally badass!".

Paid $125 at my local RW store and the process took only 2.5 weeks from dropoff to pickup.

RW also replaced the laces and lightly oiled the outside as well.

Happy camper and I highly recommend the RW repair center!! 20170824_160919.jpg 20170824_161124.jpg

12. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Perfect!