• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Carson

Reaction score
For what it's worth, with my new Hawthornes, I simply sprayed on a light dose of Red Wing leather protector and called it a day. Enjoying them so far and sure I will continue to do so. We'll see what the world decides to do to them. I'll post pics when they begin to take on some more character for sure.

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea. Some people use a suede brush to bring up the nap. I don't like RW's suede brush. If you want one, try Kirby's Hanger Project.

Carson

Reaction score
They look awesome. Thanks for the pictures.

Ended up picking up a pair of the 8115 Copper's. Thought I'd post some pics of what they look like, but they are quite a bit lighter than yours and other sizes in the store which have a slightly darker shade. I think I like them but have found they look best with jeans, not so much with khaki. Maybe once they darken a bit

I'm thinking to use some Venetian shoe cream on them to protect them slightly and shine them up a bit. Has anyone tried this by any chance?
I've also got Obenauf's LP but will save those for my Beckman's I've got for the winter, and yes we get tons of snow here.

The color on yours is great. I'd be curious to see how the Venetian goes. I've never used it. Some people have used Saphir Renovateur on 8111's without too much darkening. I'm still paranoid about darkening mine because I really like the copper pull up effect. It would be nice to find something that would give it a good sheen without over darkening. LP would be too much... I like how they look with black denim, olive chinos, indigo denim, but yeah, not great with khaki...

Last edited:

joep2k

Reaction score
I've used Venetian in the past which didn't darken the leather noticeably on darker leathers (black cherry) though not sure about lighter, I may try it on the tongue let it sit a few day and see, thought it's not the best indicator, might at least give me an idea. If I used it on the Amber, I think you wouldn't see a difference at all based on the dark original color.

RockyMtn970

Reaction score
HoSouls10
I think your worn muleskinners look great. Oops now I see you posted pics of what you hope yours look like after wear.

They will eventually.....I finally sold a pair that looked like that (really worn pair- which I loved the look) on fleabay only because the sizing even after wearing long time was giving me too many problems....hurt...

have had the following and having problems:

Wear 11 in most boots and shoes (in the 90's Timberland Chukkas made in USA best fitting shoes I ever owned)

I've recently owned these RWs

1. unknown size vintage 40s or 50s redwing (look like beckman style) too big but fit better than all the rest of my RWs, can wear unlaced or untied and do not feel like my foot is slipping. I have kept these and recently had to resole with RW and they put Beckman style soles on which initially shocked me but are OK I guess. original soles were leather with rubber block heel. owned these since 2004 from flea bay purchase and they never ever hurt my feet or body.

And all the newer versions
11 1/2 M IR Muleskinner hurt my heel, looked incredibly awesome worn in but SOLD
12 M Beckman black , so big that they felt like they were coming off foot. could never wear in unlaced mode , I had them looking really awesome but SOLD
11 M Beckman black too small look like I have miniture feet and very weird with pants SOLD
11 EE Harness IR feel too big but not hurting my heel, so undecided
11 M IR black. kind of tight, narrow in ball of foot, could be hurting my heel, i cant narrow down which boot is doing it

Also, having some lower back pain which I have never really had , and it has come up going through all these beckman and IR sizes...Im almost to the point of ditching them all. I have been trying custom footbeds then switched to arch supports...none of these combos seem to be working due to what the fit becomes after adding the supplemental systems....for instance..the 11M black IR fit fine with no arch support or foot beds, but hurt the hell out of my hell and I suspect contributed to lower back pain. so, once I put in either foot beds or arch supports the fit is super tight in the ball of foot and toes as the foot is raised inside the boot.

Last edited:

HoSouls10

Reaction score

Which brush on there do you recommend? I did get the RW brush, but its my first time brushing boots, so I clearly have no idea what I'm doing. Technique, frequency etc..

EPrest90

Reaction score
Hi All. Picked up a pair of 8111's just today, worn them for about half a day, love them so far! Great boot! Just a quick question, anyone know where I can find better laces? I hear some people use the beckman laces? Where can I find these? I don't like the stock laces too much and they're a bit short. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, probably should have checked first. Saw this: http://www.redwingheritage.com/laces/
Anyone know which ones are the beckman laces? Cheers.
The flat waxed are the ones used on beckman boots. Personally, I use the chestnut rawhide leather ones on my 8111s

Carson

Reaction score
Which brush on there do you recommend? I did get the RW brush, but its my first time brushing boots, so I clearly have no idea what I'm doing. Technique, frequency etc..
To be honest, I have tended to avoid suede and rough out boots. I sold my hawthorne IR's after about 3 weeks. I found that the RW brush was kind of harsh on the rough out and it messed up some suede chukkas I had. I would try to find something more gentle than the hard plastic bristles they have on theirs. I just brush up the nap pretty gently on my chukkas and, approx, a few times a month. It really just depends on how you're going to wear them. Some people like their hawthorne's roughed up...

Carson

Reaction score
I've used Venetian in the past which didn't darken the leather noticeably on darker leathers (black cherry) though not sure about lighter, I may try it on the tongue let it sit a few day and see, thought it's not the best indicator, might at least give me an idea. If I used it on the Amber, I think you wouldn't see a difference at all based on the dark original color.
I am sure it would be fine on amber harness…post some pics if you do it

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely drag my Hawthrones through rain and snow. Beat up is how they're supposed to be.

Last edited:

HoSouls10

Reaction score
Is brushing up the nap considered "cleaning" or is it simply giving them some texture? I get the 'looks better beat up' concept and agree, but didn't know if the brushing would be counterproductive in the beating up of the boots. I do agree that the RW brush seemed hard bristled. Appreciating all of the input guys. I'm right in the thick of it now, but little tips are always helpful.

Carson

Reaction score
Is brushing up the nap considered "cleaning" or is it simply giving them some texture? I get the 'looks better beat up' concept and agree, but didn't know if the brushing would be counterproductive in the beating up of the boots. I do agree that the RW brush seemed hard bristled. Appreciating all of the input guys. I'm right in the thick of it now, but little tips are always helpful.
Well it's a common practice with suede shoes, especially nicer suede shoes. I doubt many people actually do that with their muleskinner boots. It's not cleaning. Just basic suede care. Rough out is not something I have a lot of experience in. Perhaps someone else will jump in? But again, I think most people just wear the hell out of them.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The issue is the paper-thin leather above the heel. It looks like it's barely there.

That's totally normal. What you're looking at is a 270 degree welt -- meaning it doesn't go all the way around the heel like a 360 degree welt does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads