• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

willis88

Reaction score
Hi,
Just received a pair of 8111s from an online store having tried them on in the RW store in London several weeks back. I'm usually a 8uk (9us) so tried on the 6.5 and there was a bit of uncomfortable heel slippage. The 6 I tried had zero slip and a little snug but not painful in store so I went ahead and ordered some after working costs out at home.

Problem is I've been walking around the house for a day since receiving and feel like the toes are a little too tight on one foot while walking and I may have made the wrong decision by going for the smaller size. A further problem is that even if I wanted to return them, I'm not sure if the store would accept them due to the indentations the eyelets have made on the gusset from lacing them. Unavoidable but I doubt the store and another buyer would be pleased.

Should I persevere with the current size and hope the toes stretch?
Try my luck with returning for the .5 size and then hope the heel slip disappears with wear?

They're actually fine with thin socks but there's no way I can remove my smartwool mediums without fear of blisters and freezing feet.

Last edited:

Stevi

Reaction score
I just wanted to share a little trick I discovered:

I have had my Iron Rangers for a couple of years, but I have not worn them that much. I have always liked them, but I felt that they were a bit hard on my feet, especially compared to my 1000 Miles. The 1000 Miles have sheepskin insoles which have a bit of a tacky surface whereas the IR's are really slick on the insoles. I took a bit of sandpaper to the insoles on the IR's and roughing up the insoles have drastically increased comfort for me. Now they are almost as comfy as my 1000 Miles. The insoles now have a sort of suede like feel to them and I feel that's much better for my feet.

Colin Widmer

Reaction score
Hi,
Just received a pair of 8111s from an online store having tried them on in the RW store in London several weeks back. I'm usually a 8uk (9us) so tried on the 6.5 and there was a bit of uncomfortable heel slippage. The 6 I tried had zero slip and a little snug but not painful in store so I went ahead and ordered some after working costs out at home.

Problem is I've been walking around the house for a day since receiving and feel like the toes are a little too tight on one foot while walking and I may have made the wrong decision by going for the smaller size. A further problem is that even if I wanted to return them, I'm not sure if the store would accept them due to the indentations the eyelets have made on the gusset from lacing them. Unavoidable but I doubt the store and another buyer would be pleased.

Should I persevere with the current size and hope the toes stretch?
Try my luck with returning for the .5 size and then hope the heel slip disappears with wear?

They're actually fine with thin socks but there's no way I can remove my smartwool mediums without fear of blisters and freezing feet.
I was 2 weeks ago in Amsterdam in the RW shoes store trying some Iron ranges 8111, and was hesitating between 2 sizes.
I'm a 7-7.5 on the brannock device and I'm wearing 6.5 in the RW chukka.

I tried the IR in 5.5 and 6, and had the same issue in store than you, 5.5 felt better, no heel slippage whatsoever, and the 6 where odd and I had some heel slippage. I talk the Mitch the manager and he definitely advised me to take the 6. Toes touching is a NO go.

You could always put some some insoles to reduce the slipping, they will definitly broken-in.

When broking in my chukka, I had a lot of heel slippage, but now, 1 year after, it's completely gone and they are perfect.

willis88

Reaction score
Thanks for info.
Looks as though I'm going to have to attempt to return these. There is still some room from my longest toe to the top but its just the width on the instep that bothers me, particularly on my big toe. I've managed to smooth out the eyelet dents from the tongue but there still significant markings which I'm worried about returning. Hopefully they'll allow it as I'd be buying another pair from them but I'm not sure..

Tbh I'm not overly keen on wearing really thick socks to minimise the heel slip in the summer so will have to look into insoles..

Colin Widmer

Reaction score
Honestly, the RW IR are not the best at cushioning, so small leather insoles are a blessing :)

willis88

Reaction score
Honestly, the RW IR are not the best at cushioning, so small leather insoles are a blessing :)

Initially I was adamant about going in raw, especially as now I think I might just be swapping heel slippage for tighter toes again. Hopefully I can find a balance

willis88

Reaction score
I was 2 weeks ago in Amsterdam in the RW shoes store trying some Iron ranges 8111, and was hesitating between 2 sizes.
I'm a 7-7.5 on the brannock device and I'm wearing 6.5 in the RW chukka.

I tried the IR in 5.5 and 6, and had the same issue in store than you, 5.5 felt better, no heel slippage whatsoever, and the 6 where odd and I had some heel slippage. I talk the Mitch the manager and he definitely advised me to take the 6. Toes touching is a NO go.

You could always put some some insoles to reduce the slipping, they will definitly broken-in.

When broking in my chukka, I had a lot of heel slippage, but now, 1 year after, it's completely gone and they are perfect.

managed to exchange for the bigger size and weirdly the heel slippage was severely minimised this time. I'm not sure if I laced them differently or whether it really is true that no two pairs are the same.
Anyways they feel much better with regards to breaking in towards a good fit with enough room in the toes, and more common to what I've seen experienced throughout this thread and reviews:
Day one: sore little toe
Day two: heel blister..

I've oiled them already as I prefer the darker colour I've seen elsewhere. I know its a part of the design but I also wouldn't mind the bare cork parts to be in line with the darker leather now for a mono effect.
Is this something only dirt and wear can achieve or should I be applying oil to these parts?

Colin Widmer

Reaction score
I'm glad you could exchange them and that they fit. I only have experienced the Oro-ignal leather so far, so I cannot really help you out this time. My advice would be : beat the hell out of them, don't treat them often. But let the leather completely dry them after each wear/2 wears.

azcodito

Reaction score
My experience with leather boots is that if the toes are jamming or any type ofpressure on the ends it won't get any better.

RMD12

Reaction score
Just received these today and wore them for a good 3 hours. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

azcodito

Reaction score
are the ends of your toes hitting the front of the boots? I think the best way is to get a pair that gives you good wiggle room for your toes but a firm grip on the top of your feet.

willis88

Reaction score
are the ends of your toes hitting the front of the boots? I think the best way is to get a pair that gives you good wiggle room for your toes but a firm grip on the top of your feet.
Tbh I'd never buy shoes if the toes hit the front and its always the width I have problems with. I have no doubt I've got the correct size and I've only been wearing them 2-3 times a week the left boot is now ridiculously comfortable. The right foot still needs a bit of work as my big toe is larger on that one which usually causes problems with all of my shoes, so will see.. It's quite evident with the different creasing.

I'm sure I'm alone with this but i'm actually considering swapping out the shiney silver eyelets if possible. I often find they ruin the 'cleaner' look I would prefer particularly with a narrow hem.

HoSouls10

Reaction score
Hey All. Posted this is another forum, figured I would also here for some more opinions.

Rookie Iron Ranger owner here and looking for some advice. I nabbed a pair of the 8113 Hawthorne Muleskinners and wondering how to approach care/conditioning and all that. Things I've read thus far:

-Do nothing at all, just wear them.
-Put on some Red Wing Leather Protector and call it a day.
-As per Red Wing's suggestion, Red Wing Mink Oil for conditioning and Leather Protector.
-Obenauf's LP
-other various Mink Oils
-AquaSeal

I'm new to the whole process of treating footwear, so as much detail as possible is appreciated, maybe even some pics to give me an idea of what the boots will look like over time using certain tactics. When I search for 'worn' 8113's on google, the boots usually look worn for sure and most seem to hold onto the beige hue that they started with, which I'm hoping to achieve. I've seen some that darken up universally into a browner more solid suede type look, which is less desirable. My usage of them will likely be for nothing hardcore at all, just general wear, upstate NY conditions. I'd probably leash them up for most of the super snowy months. At this point, I've done nothing to treat and only wore them around my house or sitting down. Current status:

Looking forward to seeing what you pros think :) Thanks!

aerimorla

Reaction score
The heavier products like Obenauf's are overkill if you're not going to be tramping through snow all the time and they also tend to turn boots that flat smooth dark color you were hoping to avoid. Since they're roughout you could try conditioning from the inside if you want to preserve the nap.

HoSouls10

Reaction score
Yea based on all of my readings, I figured Obenauf's wasn't for me. The conditioning from the inside sounds interesting. Not that I'm all that familiar with the process of conditioning yet, but would it basically be the same process, except it'd be all over the inside of the boot? And a product like the Red Wing Mink Oil would suffice, or rather work as good as any other.. ?

Located a few pics of some well-worn Muleskinners that I feel would one day be up my alley of appeal if I could wear the crap out of them. Whatdya gather these folks did? Besides wear them often and vigorously. Ha. Possibly 2 different methods for all I know, but both yielded results I wouldn't mind if mine ended up like. Top one probably more ideal. Could just be the picture looks slicker..

Thanks again for the opinions!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads