• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

kutoo

Reaction score
i bought the 9106 moc toe online. half sized down to a size 7 but the toe box feels really narrow. does it really widen after break in?

ElBron21

Reaction score
i bought the 9106 moc toe online. half sized down to a size 7 but the toe box feels really narrow. does it really widen after break in?

How narrow are we talking about here? Does the rest of the fit feel comfortable?
The boots will widen and stretch out somewhat, but it takes time and it's never substantial enough for you to tough it out if they are super tight on your toes...
You may need to order a wider size, but I'm pretty sure that model only comes in D width..?
If they are too tight to really wear regularly without it bothering you there's a few options (most of these I've suggested to other people on here that have had similar situations):
Order a half size up if they wont feel too big elsewhere
Buy large shoe-trees and use them to try and stretch the toe out
Go to a cobbler and see if they can stretch/widen that part of the boots out

I can't speak for these methods because luckily an 8D in red wings fit my feet perfectly.
So if you think that these wont work or are too much work, you should return them and order a different style of red wings that don't have the moccasin toe on them bc chances are this'll be the case for any moc-toe boots of theirs. Do not try and tough it out if they are really painful now, you'll just end up having these boots that you cannot wear and cannot return.
I would suggest the blacksmiths, or the rare Munson boot that red wing did. Those were specifically made to give the toes room, you'll have to peck around the interwebs to find those but they do look amazing...

kutoo

Reaction score
How narrow are we talking about here? Does the rest of the fit feel comfortable?
The boots will widen and stretch out somewhat, but it takes time and it's never substantial enough for you to tough it out if they are super tight on your toes...
You may need to order a wider size, but I'm pretty sure that model only comes in D width..?
If they are too tight to really wear regularly without it bothering you there's a few options (most of these I've suggested to other people on here that have had similar situations):
Order a half size up if they wont feel too big elsewhere
Buy large shoe-trees and use them to try and stretch the toe out
Go to a cobbler and see if they can stretch/widen that part of the boots out

I can't speak for these methods because luckily an 8D in red wings fit my feet perfectly.
So if you think that these wont work or are too much work, you should return them and order a different style of red wings that don't have the moccasin toe on them bc chances are this'll be the case for any moc-toe boots of theirs. Do not try and tough it out if they are really painful now, you'll just end up having these boots that you cannot wear and cannot return.
I would suggest the blacksmiths, or the rare Munson boot that red wing did. Those were specifically made to give the toes room, you'll have to peck around the interwebs to find those but they do look amazing...

thanks, i'll get to a red wing dealer ASAP instead of relying on the online retailer. they should be able to help with sizing. yep the moc toe only comes in one width.

if anything, i have narrow/average feet (at least 3.5 inches across, rough measurement i took myself). it's not painful but i don't think it's natural to have the gap between my big toe and second toe closed and "pinched" together. Everything else is perfect. Just the toe box feels tight for me.

everyone's had a pair of chucks, right? they're supposed to run big and also have a narrow toe box. If i size down to 7, I get the same sort of pinching. but since it's canvas, there's a bit of give and my pinky toe juts out of the canvas on the opposite side. if i wear Chucks true to size, the toe box is not a problem. length wise it's fine too since I can just lace up tighter.

But I can't do that with leather, right? So that's the problem... I'll see what the sales people say at the store.

Last edited:

BootGuy

Reaction score
I kind of like these Postman Oxfords, but they seem to only be sold in Europe.

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score

Eh idk I suppose I like the middle pair somewhat... I'm just not a fan of the postmans, they remind me of old men type shoes

BootGuy

Reaction score
Eh idk I suppose I like the middle pair somewhat...
I'm just not a fan of the postmans, they remind me of old men type shoes

I've always felt the same way about the Postman, the combo of oxford styling on the wedge sole just made them look weird to me, at least in black.

I do like the bottom left and the middle pair, but I'm not sure I like them more than the chukkas or 6 eye.

Reaction score
I wasn't sold on the Postmans either- Picked up a pair of the Charcoal for $80 during an Urban Outfitter online closeout. (Top left).

They fit like a pair of dress shoes, with the benefit of the soft sole. Been wearing mine more often this summer due to heat and they look pretty sharp with denim. Once Fall/Winter comes, they will probably be back on the rack as my 6 and 8" boots fall back into rotation.

Nanimal

Reaction score
anyone with red wing iron rangers in amber harness? whats a good belt that matches the color of these and a similar colored leather watch strap? i was thinking tanner goods standard belt in havana color might do the trick but would prefer to spend less money on a belt than those price at

Solomite81

Reaction score
RW has a belt in amber that I sometimes wear when.I wear 8111 which matches great!!!!
anyone with red wing iron rangers in amber harness? whats a good belt that matches the color of these and a similar colored leather watch strap? i was thinking tanner goods standard belt in havana color might do the trick but would prefer to spend less money on a belt than those price at

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think last year only sold in Europe. This year some are avail on US site. Black, charcoal and olive. I picked these up a few months ago from local store. I had to order them but was able to try on a few sizes to get it right. Really comfortable. Pretty diverse - khakis, jeans and even shorts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads