• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

f800gs

Reaction score

Gentleman, I have a question for ya. I am in the process of hunting for my first pair of red wing boots. I've narrowed it down to 2 pairs of boots, but can't decide and it's starting to drive me crazy!

The two I'm looking at are the harvester 2943 in Amber harness and the new iron ranger 8119 in Oxblood mesa.

I'd like these boots to very versatile. While I love the idea of owning many fine leather goods I dont have a ton of room and don't want a million different pairs of shoes. These boots would be used for a variety activities, mostly casual and some motorcycle riding too.

Here are the pros and cons to me of each:

Oxblood iron ranger:
Pros:
-(initially I thought Oxblood was an odd color). The more research I do the more it seems to go with everything ( I wear a lot of charcoals, maroons, navy blues, and tan colors. All of which it seems to go with, correct me if wrong)
-minilug sole for grip (decent winter boot)
-I ride a Harley Davidson forty eight and the words "oxblood iron Rangers" just sounds so right

Cons:
-Oxblood may technically be versatile but with casual outfits I don't know if it really is, all of the research Ive done pertaining to Oxblood has been related to

dressier types of shoe

-it's not as classic and timeless as Amber harness or a set of brown boots

Amber harness harvesters:
Pros:
-Amber harness is a proven classic "brown" boot with beautiful patina
-the extra height lends extra protection on a motorcycle
-fills the slot of classic brown boot
-mini lug sole (great winter boot between the sole and the height)

Cons:
-the 9" height may be really hot in spring (I live in MD, we have all seasons)
-Doesn't provide the same contrast against a dark grey motorcycle like the Oxblood would (this may or may not be a bad thing I guess)

Please let me know what y'all think. I need some input on the situation.

Many thanks in advance.

Just a reminder that neither boot offers much protection if you have a get off on the bike.

matthewh

Reaction score
Anyone notice that Red Wing has a female line of boots now?

Looks like they just hit the US. I've seen news for these for a while and Red Wing Amsterdam http://www.redwingamsterdam.com/ has been posting photos of them for several weeks. I'm curious to see if they catch on. I personally don't really like the stacked heel designs. The Short Engineer looks pretty nice though.

Please Help

Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of the 2971 or 4572 in Copper, but am having zero luck finding any in the US. I'm an 8.5 D and located in Texas. Are these possible to get in the US? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Newberry

Reaction score

Both these Red Wing pairs cost under 200 at Nordstrom Rack. The grey 140 and the brown 160. I didn't buy them but it's still amazing what you can find at the Rack

Newberry

Reaction score

They're highly variable.  I've yet to see anything like that (or any Red Wings whatsoever) at the Nordstrom Rack store here.

I also remember a few months ago seeing 2 pairs of Iron Rangers for $75 and a pair of 875 for $60. I was thinking about getting the 875 but the moc toes on Red Wings aren't really my thing.

Last edited:

Newberry

Reaction score

Still getting ready for boot season. I just purchased these Red Wings 8181 at Nordstrom Rack for $170 total. Really cool and unique color that you don't see very often. Maybe if I would have waited a bit longer they would have lowered the price but then again if I would have waited to long maybe someone would buy them and beat me to them because last week I saw the same style but in charcoal and now it's not there lol. Either way, getting Red Wings anywhere under 200 is no joke. I'm really happy with my purchase
1f606.png

Last edited:

matthewh

Reaction score

Still getting ready for boot season. I just purchased these Red Wings 8181 at Nordstrom Rack for $170 total. Really cool and unique color that you don't see very often. Maybe if I would have waited a bit longer they would have lowered the price but then again if I would have waited to long maybe someone would buy them and beat me to them because last week I saw the same style but in charcoal and now it's not there lol. Either way, getting Red Wings anywhere under 200 is no joke. I'm really happy with my purchase
1f606.png

Love the Muleskinner leather and round toe. Great price too. Wish we had options for making purchases like this where I live.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Red Wings are my favorite all around boots. I have a pair of Iron Rangers made from charcoal leather.

My only critique is I'm not a huge fan of the sole. I prefer a stacked leather heel and a half outer sole that doesn't interrupt the leather. I found out Red Wing has this as an option in their boot repair shop so I sent mine in.

looking forward to getting them back.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member