• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, man

i ended up ordering another pair from nordstrom in the same size a few days back (since the pair from zappos actually had an inch long dent in them i didn't notice at first; yeah, i'm a real ***** about my shoes)

pair from nordstrom is much cleaner in terms of the leather fwiw

also, it seems that nordstrom doesn't actually have stock of their own

they will order straight from red wing for you

mooshoepork

Reaction score
Red wings 1907! Sizing.

I have beckmans which are a 7. Major heel slippage and really long...

Looking for some 1907s. I've read they are true to size. Should I go for a 6.5 or 7?

I'm a 7 in sperrys and Clark's desert boots

loug

Reaction score
Might want to keep in mind, goes for any brand shoe/boot, consider the thickness of socks you're going to be using. Heavy socks are the norm here and if the size down was used the RW's would have been too small (like my 1K's). Wear a 13 D normally and tried the 12 in 1K's. they fit with dress socks but I don't wear dress socks.

querelle

Reaction score
I wear US 6D in moc toes (8138) and round toes (8165), 6.5 in engineers (2970).
I also had a pair of Beckmans in size 7. They were definitely a size too large, I had to wear insoles and they were uncomfortable since the beginning due to major leather creases above the fingers junctions.

If, like you said, your Beckmans are too big, my advice is to get a size 6.5 D or 6 D in 1907.
Best would be to try them on before.
If you need it, I can measure the inner & outer soles of my mod toes.

mooshoepork

Reaction score
I wear US 6D in moc toes (8138) and round toes (8165), 6.5 in engineers (2970).
I also had a pair of Beckmans in size 7. They were definitely a size too large, I had to wear insoles and they were uncomfortable since the beginning due to major leather creases above the fingers junctions.

If, like you said, your Beckmans are too big, my advice is to get a size 6.5 D or 6 D in 1907.
Best would be to try them on before.
If you need it, I can measure the inner & outer soles of my mod toes.
Thank you!

The trouble is finding somewhere that sells them...I'll need to buy online because I live in Australia.

I haven't found one place that sells below 7D.

Thearkly

Reaction score
Question what are the D's for on Redwings? Also are they good for places with rainy weather and possible snow?

querelle

Reaction score
Thank you!

The trouble is finding somewhere that sells them...I'll need to buy online because I live in Australia.

I haven't found one place that sells below 7D.
I know, you should try ebay.com, but i think it will be pretty hard to get the 1907s. Small sizes are easier to find in other models, like 875, 8138.
Or check forums and marketplaces… etsy.com… nordstrom…
Good luck!
Ps. outside sole of my mod toes 8138 in size us6D is 28.5 cm, inside is likely 25.5 cm (hard to measure!).

loug

Reaction score
Question what are the D's for on Redwings? Also are they good for places with rainy weather and possible snow?

The "D" if we're on the same page here, is a designation for the width of the shoe/boot. D being medium width, but not sure if this is what you are asking.

These RW boots are 10 times better for snow and rain than my 1K's (having leather soles on the 1K) RW round toe has a cork impregnated rubber sole that is waterproof.

PH28

Reaction score
One size down. If you prefer a snug fit at first and plan ahead for the leather stretch, one and a half sizes down would be good.

I recently just got rid of a pair of VNDS Chukka's as they were huge, I'm guessing the Moc Toes will be even more spacious?

David Martin

Reaction score
Red Wing seems to work hard at selling through their own stores (which I think are run on a franchise basis). It makes sense because many of their customers need particular boots for work. They also have a "heritage" line of boots and shoes for fashion and hunting/fishing (not to mention the Vasque line for hikers).

It might be worth looking for internet vendors of heritage items. A sale website, The Clymb, has occasional Red Wing sales.

BTW, Red Wing sells very good, mostly plain, belts with detachable buckles, perfect in the event that you have a big Western-type buckle.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks

Looking for some advice/guidance on my first pair of redwings. I have read from about page 100 ( time new oro legacy leather was released) on and searched the internet to try to find a direct comparison before I hit you guys up with these questions. Looking to buy either 1907's in copper or the 875. Nordstrom had the 1907's and tried them on and the local red wing store didn't have my size in stock and ordered them for me to try on. I assume the 1907 rough and tough leather will be that and a little harder to break in, I'll condition the heck out of them to try to soften the leather if I buy them. I could only handle the 875's but the leather seemed more pliable, kind of like the Chromexcel on the wolverine 1k which was easy to break in. Is that a fair comparison?

So the main question for anyone who has had both the 1907 and the new 875 leather Oro legacy leather, how different is the break-in on these? Are they the same comfort wise after break in? If anyone has both I would love to see a side by side shot as I haven't found one on the web - which is hard to believe actually.

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year all

DuckOB

Lurking

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but hey, I could use the help:

I just purchased a pair of 875's. What type of coat pairs best with this style of boot in general ...... would a navy peacoat be fine or too dressy?

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but hey, I could use the help:

I just purchased a pair of 875's. What type of coat pairs best with this style of boot in general ...... would a navy peacoat be fine or too dressy?

A navy peacoat sounds good, but it depends on what else you're wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads