1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. clarkscent

clarkscent Member

Bought a pair of used Iron rangers one size smaller than usually. and with Width D.

On my left foot it fits great, Just had a minor blister on the side of the heel as expected. But on the right foot my pinky toe is getting squashed. I dont know if it's from the sole or if the toebox is too narrow. My big toe is getting a little pushed but my little toe hurt with every step. Basically its laying on it's side almost. I've been walking in them for 3 days and it has gotten a little bit better. I dont think my feet have that much of a different in width. But who knows. Anything i can do about this?

2. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

Yeah your should have no issues sticking with the 7. I use the same size 8 for all 6 of my red wing models, except for my 11inch engineer boots. The red wing employee suggested i go a half size down to 7 1/2 for pull up boots and he was spot on.

3. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

You may be fucked, bc leather can only stretch so much.
    But there may be a few options: double or triple layer your socks on the right foot (or buy really thick wool socks) to kinda beef up that right foot to help make the leather give a little and help relieve your toes so when you stop wearing the socks (which i suggest maybe 2 weeks later?) there is now added room. Maybe while doing this you should oil your boots every other day, maybe every 3 days, to soften the leather to help with the stretching out of them. Now, keep in mind I have never done this now have any of my friends. If that doesn't work, and you still have some persistence in you, I would take them to a cobbler (you'd be surprised how many there are) and see if he can work on the boots to help out with this. Maybe he will work on the toe of the boots itself, or simply replace the inner sole to make room? Also, you could always buy some show trees for a bigger size boot, as big as you can shove in there, and have them do the work (instead of you walking around in the thick socks) while oiling them? These are mainly the only things I can think of that MAY help.
    Hopefully you can fix em up to fit you right! Good luck I hope this helps

4. Tweedboy

Tweedboy Active Member

You may be able to get them professionally Stretched. I don't know where you live but I got my wife's Fry boots done at Shoehealer. Worked a treat.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

You can buy shoe-stretchers (essentially shoe trees with a rack mechanism and plugs that you put in strategic holes) but whilst you can stretch leather it does have a habit of shrinking back with time - you'll probably have to either re-stretch them at some point or have them re-stretched if they're very snug.

6. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

They will never fit right. Your toes need wiggle room, especially in boots. Sizing down a full size is madness, man (unless you have a narrow foot).

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

So I have those exact same Beckmans (same color too). Question - I loved the wax laces that came with them but they broke immediately (on both shoes, not just one). They gave me the parachute cord type as a replacement, which, while seemingly indestructible, come undone almost constantly, to the point where it drives me crazy. Are there any other kinds of laces people use that stay tied and don't break so easily?

8. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

That's weird that those laces broke, they may have been old or something... Who knows, but I also hate the replacement laces they give you now. Eventually they stop coming undone though, just saying. They used to let you go on the red wing site, put you name, address, and what boot model you had, and they would send you the laces they came with for free. But Ive heard that's not the case anymore.

Anyways, if you want that same flat, waxed, cotton type laces, check out these http://wingtip.com/product/wolverine/flat-waxed-shoelaces/38808?skuId=1689949372055291

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

This might be a nonsense question but I really like to take care of my shoes so, do you guys use shoe trees for this kind of boots?

10. Sicknsore

Sicknsore New Member

I just recently put wooden shoe threes in both my 1907 and 8130 when not wearing them.. It helps keep the shape and absorbs the moisture inside or so i read

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

11. jeremyjc

jeremyjc Member

I have a pair of the heritage mocs with a lug sole, and I've found that even with near daily wear and monthly leather treatment, they've kept their shape really well due to the design (moc-toe) and the thickness of the leather. There's probably no need for a tree in the more workboot styles, but I'd recommend one if you have a dressier style like the Beckman, just to maintain the toe.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Exactly what I want. I know they are very hard and will resist a long time, but it doesn't hurt the boot to keep the moisture of them by using a tree and mainting it's shape longer.

13. fpr4

fpr4 Well-Known Member

Wish they wouldn't have discontinued the 214s. I think the next pair I might pick up are the blacksmiths.

14. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I don't bother with shoe trees in my boots. (Beckman's and a pair of Affliction branded chinese made junky boots that have been my motorcycle boots for years now).

I think that for boots of workboot type leather and construction, it's pointless.

I use them in higher quality dress shoes, though.

15. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

I have a fully worked in pair of 213's and they are perfect!

16. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

i use trees on all of my leather shoes and boots. It definitely helps keep the shape and reduce creasing on the vamp. I use AE shoe trees in my 1907s that i got for like $15 at nordstroms rack. Imo, they help alot!

17. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

This

18. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Very rarely. I'll use them if they get really wet or if I'm cleaning them.

19. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Guys, anybody purchase the green, Kangatan 8180? I got a pair several months ago and am still formulating my opinion on them. Basically it's the same fit as an 875 so no complaints there. I'll post a few pics in the near future.

20. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Red Wing 8180:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]