• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red tie interview help.

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score
(Wrong section I know and I apologize in advance.) So this is the situation, many have told me not to wear a red tie to an interview. But the problem is I want to stay coherent with my design. For example I made a custom Cover letter, Resume and a Business card which all take on a Red, black and White design; I want to match the whole "Brand" image I made with me. So I am planning on wearing to the interview a white shirt, red tie, black belt, black shoes, and black slim dress pants. The place I applied to was the Apple store.

Here are some of the Ties I am thinking of buying, I do not own any Red ties so I am looking for one, feel free to show me other ties that you think will be a better fit (you can click the images to enlarge them). Thanks a lot for your help. Have a great day.

Tie 1

Tie 2
I like it but the dots are pink........ Not white.

Tie 3

--
Chris

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The darker the red, the better. Venture into burgundy territory to be safe. The top and bottom are unabashedly awful.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually agree with Claghorn here. you want them to look at you, not your red tie. but if you own the three above? wear the middle one.

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score
I do not own any of these ties, but I want to find a good tie. Thank you for your opinion it means a lot and I value it.

--
Chris

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something in a darker hue and a more matte silk would be better.

MCT-126-800.jpg

http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-silk-tie-126.html

Printed-tie-153b.jpg

http://www.samhober.com/macclesfiel...-printed-silk-tie-clone-clone-clone-en-2.html

Chowkin

Reaction score
(Wrong section I know, I apologize in advance.) So this is the situation, many have told me not to wear a red tie to an interview. But the problem is I want to stay coherent with my design. For example I made a custom Cover letter, Resume and a Business card which all take use a Red, black and White design; I want to match the whole "Brand" image I made with me. So I am planning on wearing to the interview a white shirt, red tie, black belt, black shoes, and black slim dress pants. The place I applied to was the Apple store.

Here are some of the Tie I am thinking of buying, feel free to show me other ties and you can click the images to enlarge them. Thanks a lot for your help. Have a great day.

Tie 1

Tie 2
I like it but the dots are pink........ Not white.

Tie 3

--
Chris

Chris - I beg to differ on the above consensus of choosing a darker tie. You are applying to the Apple Store. You need to be energetic and fun loving. Go for the first one.

Last edited:

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score
Chris - I beg to differ on the above consensus of choosing a darker tie. You are applying to the Apple Store. You need to be energetic and fun loving. Go for the first one.
I love this comment :D Apple store is energetic and fun. I really hope I ace my interview!

--
Chris

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 or 3 would be ok with the right clothes.

However forget this nonsense about you being a "brand" which needs to be colour coordinated. You are a straightforward human being who can either do a job or not. You will be interviewed to establish that basic fact and dressing in any form of costume or else seeking to establish that will simply weaken your position.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

However forget this nonsense about you being a "brand" which needs to be colour coordinated. You are a straightforward human being who can either do a job or not. You will be interviewed to establish that basic fact and dressing in any form of costume or else seeking to establish that will simply weaken your position.

PLUS FUKKIN ONE!

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score

Thanks a lot, these forums are great. I will take your opinion into consideration after all its better to overdress than underdress and maybe dressing in such a costumey way will really hurt my candidacy. I think that because Apple is different, it may be possible to pull the costume per say. Anyways thanks a lot, have a good day.

--
Chris

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who commented, based on your feedback I tried to stay away from a costume look and picking a more appropriate color. I stayed true to my brand but at the same time I wanted to look energetic and fun, while not distracting the employer by a bright tie. I really do appreciate your criticism harsh or not it has helped me a lot. Thanks.

Here is the Tie I am planning on buying.

It's a Burgundy color, Matte/silk but still elegant using a 2' wideness basically a Skinny tie. (I have a slim body structure)

--
Chris

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks a lot, these forums are great. I will take your opinion into consideration after all its better to overdress than underdress and maybe dressing in such a costumey way will really hurt my candidacy. I think that because Apple is different, it may be possible to pull the costume per say. Anyways thanks a lot, have a good day.

--
Chris

Apple is not hiring you because you coordinated your resume to your tie.
They are hiring you because you know their products/are energetic....and can sell/up-sell!

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score
Apple is not hiring you because you coordinated your resume to your tie.
They are hiring you because you know their products/are energetic....and can sell/up-sell!
You are correct, no employers hires the candidate because he looked impressive, but it does play a role. I just think that I can stand out by being/looking different.

Ter1413, your harsh criticism is very appreciated, sometimes its best to hear the harsh truth than to hear the lie. Also what did you think about my updated Tie? Thanks alot and have a great day.

--
Chris

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just re-read your initial post...

I really would not present a biz card at an interview.
If you MUST go with a "red" tie...I would go deep red or burgundy. I would also wear a suit.

But I would also know things like this:

-What is the Apple warranty for someone who walks into a store in(for example NYC or where you live) and they are from a foreign country?
-Where is the Apple global headqtrs?
-I walk into the store and want to buy an iPad air. What/how "might" you try to upsell me?
-What is the most amount of memory I can get on a new Mac pro?
-Etc....

Also.....be energetic. Be early for the interview and hang out outside, etc. Of course...shave/manicure/etc. Have questions that you want to ask the interviewer. Don't badmouth Microsoft/Dell/etc. Also...be prepared to answer..."Why do you want to work for Apple?"

ChrisJStyle

Reaction score
I just re-read your initial post...

I really would not present a biz card at an interview.
If you MUST go with a "red" tie...I would go deep red or burgundy. I would also wear a suit.

But I would also know things like this:

-What is the Apple warranty for someone who walks into a store in(for example NYC or where you live) and they are from a foreign country?
-Where is the Apple global headqtrs?
-I walk into the store and want to buy an iPad air. What/how "might" you try to upsell me?
-What is the most amount of memory I can get on a new Mac pro?
-Etc....

Also.....be energetic. Be early for the interview and hang out outside, etc. Of course...shave/manicure/etc. Have questions that you want to ask the interviewer. Don't badmouth Microsoft/Dell/etc. Also...be prepared to answer..."Why do you want to work for Apple?"
Thank you very much Ter1413, will do.

--
Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads