• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a slim/skinny suit in the $5-600 range? Reviews of Jcrew Ludlow?

rlee

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new suit for a couple of weddings I am attending this year (and future job/school interviews I guess). I am looking specifically for a very modern slim/skinny suit that fits well. However, I am completely clueless when it comes to buying suits, so I need some help! Any recommendations?

For the basics, I am looking to get a 2 button, double vent suit in either dark grey (heather charcoal) or black.

There was one suit that caught my attention, and it was Jcrew's Ludlow suit, it is their slimmest suit and it looked decent on their website, I will probably go try it on soon. Anyone have thoughts on their Ludlow suit? They apparently also have 3 versions, I am not even sure what the pros/cons are of each.

fabric by lora piana?
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...8130/28130.jsp

worsted wool?
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...1707/11707.jsp

wool herringbone?
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...8613/18613.jsp

Any thoughts on any of these 3 suits?

Any recommendations for any other specific brands/models in my price range to try?

And can anyone recommend an expert suit tailor in Boston?

Thanks!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never for a split second in my life considered those suits. But judging by the price, once you include tax, and a pair of slacks matching the jacket, you will be close to $600 in.

Jcrew suits are reasonable at an introductory level, but anything factory made in China (whether Italian fabric or not) with a price over $500 for a full suit is rather expensive.

Rather than me unreasonably suggest you consider Partenopea or Attolini at this stage of your life (although hang around here long enough, you will migrate towards the upper echelons of menswear), just buy a 100% wool suit and make sure it fits well enough. Visit an actual real (in a physical sense) mens dep store and try on suits, figure out what you like and do not like. At this stage, get a nice cheaper suit just make sure it fits and is made out of wool, wool - silk, or wool - cashmere blend. Even a Wool - Poly blend will be OK - just make sure that the Poly is not the dominant material. I guarantee with this approach, you get a suit cheaper than Jcrew and it probably would not that much worse - in fact, if you hit a sale, you could for darn sure get better than Jcrew for the same price.

rlee

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

When you say department store, do you mean like a Macy's ? It doesn't seem like they have the very slim cuts I am looking for. or do you mean like a Saks/Nordstrom? But their price range is probably over my budget. I could wait for a sale, but I need a suit in 3 weeks!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a member of Gilt, I think they have another Hickey sale coming up this week. Probably a good place to start.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Try Yoox.com. You can find some gems there, and the return policy is solid.

As it was said above, know your size and preferences and look for something entirely wool or at least 70% wool.

Don't forget to check out the fall and the spring selections at yoox.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
If you're a member of Gilt, I think they have another Hickey sale coming up this week. Probably a good place to start.

I second this! I went on a suit shopping spree a couple of months ago. I first bought a J Crew Ludlow. What attracted me to the Ludlow were the same reasons you listed why you liked it. Slim, looked great on the website. The look was what I was going for. While the J Crew suit was being shipped, GILT had a sale on suits so I purchased a Hickey suit (not Hickey Freeman, do a search on this forum for more info on it). I definitely regret getting the J Crew suit. Hickey was cheaper, better quality, fit was better. Even my tailor noticed. He mentioned the small details like the pitch stitchings.

Looking at GILT, I see a Hickey sale coming soon.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get a Milano suit from BB for about $700 after the corporate discount. Their only solid color is black and grey flannel though. I hope they add a charcoal.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
J Crew products, especially suits / jackets, are for children. College age and below. They are not for men. I ordered a ludlow jacket and it was so horrible that I can't even begin listing the problems with it, lest this turn into a rant.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Learn the ways of the outlets and discount department stores, my son.

J Crew suits are expensive at $600, whereas a higher-quality suit might be cheap at $600. As with stocks, you need to look past the sticker price to determine value.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to the skip J Crew.

Try the Benjamin from eHaberdasher. Very well made suit, quite slim fitting. He should have more in stock in the next week or two.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a linen Ludlow jacket off Ebay, was $29 and arrived with half the sleeve buttons missing so I got it for free. Cost me $35 total with buttons and tailoring. It's nice for what it is, but no way in hell would I spend anything approaching full retail or even the usual sale price on J Crew. There's nothing really distinguished about it, can do a whole lot better especially if you're up for some Ebaying. I can't say much about the wool ones, but nothing I saw about the linen would make me seek one out.

They are pretty well fitting though. I'm a bigger 44/small 46 generally and a 46R Ludlow fits me well, equivalent to a fitted 44 in most makes. Didn't need any waist suppression at all. Certainly not a conservative cut at all.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rugby during a sale would probably do better than Jcrew for quality/price on a slim fit fashion forward suit.

LittleTimmy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
I ordered a ludlow jacket and it was so horrible that I can't even begin listing the problems with it, lest this turn into a rant.

I think you should list the ludlow problems.
thumbs-up.gif
I go to styleforum for honest product reviews, and since its marketed as a slim suit, I think your review would be appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads