• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me the best waterproof dress boots that you can

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I'm having big problems finding an otherwise-good pair of boots in Toronto. That's why I was thinking to go all-out on a C&J one or something.

Maybe I should again buy the same Hush Puppies ones I started out with and just accept them staining all my socks like crazy?

Or what boots would you recommend for me to buy, Doc4?

I've had good luck w/ Dainite soled leather chukkas that I infuse w/SnoSeal or a similar waterproofing. They're a good compromise so you don't have to wear overshoes all the time. What size do you wear?

izlat

Reaction score
Guys,

I think you have been trolled.

Askin for "dress boots" and showing those ugly HPs AND they stain his white socks?! For real?
Btw, the Merrells are dope stylish compared to these Hush Puppies.

Never been to Toronto (have frinds an relatives there) - but can't imagine one can't find a decent pair of boots, which are appropriate fo wear there. Like me saying I can' find a decent pair of flip flops in Miami
laugh.gif

If not a troll - I can't believe so many people answerd and helped and there hasn't been one "Thank you"

Cheers

Did you try wearing those with white socks out in the slush for a few hours and seeing if they stained your socks?

stylemeup

Reaction score
This is a serious topic and everything I've said in it has been 100% serious.

If you know where to go to buy what I'm asking for in Toronto, then tell me.

Just because you might know, it doesn't mean everyone knows.

I don't know much about clothing or shoes. What I do know is mostly what I've learned from this site. If my posts seem dumb then that's simply because I truly am ignorant about clothes/shoes. That's why I ask questions from you guys, so I can try to learn what I need to know.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
Never been to Toronto (have frinds an relatives there) - but can't imagine one can't find a decent pair of boots

Forum-approved boots are very difficult to find in Toronto. Trust me on that one.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a serious topic and everything I've said in it has been 100% serious.

That's why I ask questions from you guys, so I can try to learn what I need to know.

Check your Private Messages (upper right corner) - I sent you a pm.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Is it safe to buy boots from google results?

Ie: http://www.countrysupplies.com/item.asp?i=6009

I like that color a lot more than the C&J snowdon, but I don't know if that's a quality brand or not. Would you guys ever buy the boot in that link?

It's unclear who makes these boots, but they're attractive, functional and a good price. I'd give them a shot. They're very similar to the C&J Coniston:

452countryconiston.jpg

stylemeup

Reaction score
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...p_Boot_222.htm

These are the most awesome-looking boots that I've ever seen. Way, way out of my price range though. Is there any way to get those shows at a price point similar to the $435 like some of their other shoes?

I've been considering this:

http://www.solelyshoes.com/acatalog/Stow_espresso.htm

But on the Pediwear site they wanna charge me an additional $42.99 GBP on that item just for the shoetrees. Is that normal? Shouldn't it come with the shoetrees for 'free'? I feel like that extra charge is way too much nickel and diming me. Is that a Pediwear decision to nickel and dime me on those shoetrees, or is that Tricker's decision?

If I did buy that would it work to buy a commando sole separately and then have it glued on there? If so, are there any online places where I can buy just a commando sole?

contaygious

Reaction score
I'm trying to find some as well what about these?
NMN03H9_mt.jpg

I actually want rubber in the snow...

I would never wear cj or alden in the snow even if they are boots.

Here are some RL that are on sale:
pPOLO2-5078860_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-5078976_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-5104583_standard_v330.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stylemeup

Reaction score
I stumbled upon that Hoggs boot earlier in this thread and now I'm glad to see it's a good boot.

I found a better picture of it at this site:

http://www.ppgclothing.co.uk/catalog...oot-p-501.html

I guess that Hoggs boot a lot better than these Tricker's ones:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/173.php

In googling for pictures for boots I'm considering I found another thread featuring those Tricker's boots and members named dkzzzz and Tarmac said they are throw-up worthy.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=1511149

Really glad I stumbled on that

I need to know stuff like that before I inadvertently buy barfy boots.
eh.gif

Guess I'll scratch the Tricker's off the consideration list then.

Btw what is it about those Tricker's exactly that are so hideous? I need to educate myself about that.

What would you guys do with your pants if you owned a boot that goes as high up the leg as that Hoggs boot or a C&J Snowdon or something like that? Do you just cover the top part of the boot with your pants? Do you stuff your pants in the boot (and if so, doesn't that screw up it's shape)?

literasyme

Reaction score
Dude. At least you're doing your own research now -- that's an improvement.

I don't understand how you can't know your shoe size in dress shoes. Have you only worn trainers up to this point in your life? If you want to find out what fits, try things on at HR or Holt; check Allen Edmonds at HR and Church's at Holt, that should give you a pretty good idea. The best place in Toronto to get properly fitted is Dack's at BCE Place. They're overpriced and won't carry a lot of boots (if any), but you'll wind up with a good idea of your actual size. If you're then ordering from the UK, I'd advise you to order UK sizes one smaller than your North American size (if you're a 9.5 in formal shoes here, order an 8.5UK; if your feet aren't wide, you'll want the normal fitting, which in the UK is normally called E, sometimes F, and in the US almost always D). Don't base this decision on your size in trainers -- those are totally arbitrary.

There's nothing wrong with Tricker's -- they specialize in rugged country-style boots (and hold a royal warrant for those types of shoes), which makes them a very good choice for your (our) circumstances this time of year. dkzzzz doesn't like them. So what? Do you? Their barfworthiness is a matter of personal taste. In terms of construction, they're excellent (do a search here and find out more). Do you like the Hoggs better? Great. They're also made in Northampton, and probably not much worse, if at all, than the Tricker's.

As for your pants, do whatever you like. It's a tradeoff: either get the hem of your pant legs wet or scrunch up your crease. Your choice. (And no, there is no authoritative opinion on this matter: you get to decide for yourself.)

stylemeup

Reaction score
I like the Hoggs except for how high up they come on the leg. Ideally, I'd wanna buy something like the Hoggs, only an ankle boot version of it.

If I bought the Hoggs I'd let my pants cover them, but that pretty much defeats the purpose of having a boot go that high, doesn't it?

I actually do almost always wear trainers so I'm definitely gonna look really silly going in with them on along with my overcoat to get fitted for dress shoes. But I guess I'll bite the bullet and do it at Dack's.

literasyme

Reaction score
Well, yes, you have to start somewhere. But seriously -- after all the rigmarole about the new overcoat a couple of weeks/months ago, you're saying you've been walking around with a garment like that and trainers?

AB01

Reaction score
Leave him alone. He is on styleforum for a good reason. To learn how to dress for the occassion. He's just a little cautious and over-researching online to avoid the mistakes we made in our slob-to-dressy stage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads