• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a pen

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've searched all the threads relating to pens and there was some good info to be had. I'm relatively new to pens and decided a couple days ago that I wanted a couple nice ones. Did some research here and elsewhere on the interwebz and ended up picking up a Parker ballpoint on the bay and a Visconti Midi Van Gogh rollerball from a local shop. Now I am looking for a fountain pen. The price I want to spend is $300 and under. The Van Gogh should explain my sense of style on this matter as I am looking for something with some character. I'm not so fond of plain colors as they are just meh to me so I'm moreso looking for something with some character, unique, and has personality if you will. Any ideas that may help point me in the direction I am looking for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cbird

Reaction score
You might be able to find a Yard-O-Lead near that price range. Very smooth nib. Also, consider a Parker 75 - you could find a NOS pen on eBay in the $100 dollar range (get the medium nib). Sheaffer's also have very fine nibs and can be found well under $300. It's really best if you actually try out a few pens before buying, though - ergonomics with fountain pens are very subjective and you will need to experience good and bad fits to find what's right for you.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recommend reviewing the posts on the fountainpennetwork.com site. My favorites are Pelikans.

Classically

Reaction score
Pelikan M200 or a M215 if you like a little weight. Both are cheap and good quality.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I definitely have alot more searching to do. I'm cecking out that website JayJay and it should help out alot. Thanks.

huy

Reaction score
There are a ton of good options at that price range. I second joining fountainpennetwork. It's a great site to learn more about fps. Also check out stores like isellpens.com and oscarbraunpens.com. They have awesome prices.

Some recommendations: Visconti Opera, Pelikan (Sahara, Niagra, Polar Lights, any from the city series), any Delta, Pilot Vanishing Point, Aurora Optima, any Stipula, Parker Duofold, Omas Demonstrator pens.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montblanc or bust!

Montblanc all the way!

Montblanc is the best!

nest.gif

lizmasc

Reaction score
I remember one time when I wanted to buy one of those mechanical pencils I went to a site about reviews of the different pencils (some historical and rare) and there was this Russian guy (good feedback) selling them on ebay, I gather that site must be in the same fashion
smile.gif
smiley2.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
There are a ton of good options at that price range. I second joining fountainpennetwork. It's a great site to learn more about fps. Also check out stores like isellpens.com and oscarbraunpens.com. They have awesome prices.

Some recommendations: Visconti Opera, Pelikan (Sahara, Niagra, Polar Lights, any from the city series), any Delta, Pilot Vanishing Point, Aurora Optima, any Stipula, Parker Duofold, Omas Demonstrator pens.

Wow, I would like to think great minds think alike because you just named every one of the pens that I've been looking at and have narrowed it down to. Seriously, except for Stipula. I will have to look at that. But, all of the other recommendations are the ones I am considering getting...to a T. I also checked oscarbraunpens.com and was looking at the Pelikan Sahara...just not exactly sure if I want to pull the trigger just yet.

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Montblanc or bust!

Montblanc all the way!

Montblanc is the best!

nest.gif

Hahahaha. Not a fan of Montbland. I get the scarcasm.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Wow, I would like to think great minds think alike because you just named every one of the pens that I've been looking at and have narrowed it down to. Seriously, except for Stipula. I will have to look at that. But, all of the other recommendations are the ones I am considering getting...to a T. I also checked oscarbraunpens.com and was looking at the Pelikan Sahara...just not exactly sure if I want to pull the trigger just yet.

If you tell us some more info on what you want I'm sure we can help narrow your list down (things like weight, size, length, filler type, springy/not springy nib, etc.).

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
If you tell us some more info on what you want I'm sure we can help narrow your list down (things like weight, size, length, filler type, springy/not springy nib, etc.).

To be honest, i'm really just looking for aesthetics. I work on a computer all day so i rarely use a pen. So I'm really looking for somehing that I like to sign documents and that is all. For example, With the Visconti Van Gogh I bought, my intention is to use that in business meetings and such, so I made sure I had something that I felt really comfortable with and enjoyed writing with. This fit the bill perfectly. Completely happy. With a fountain pen, its moreso for my own joy, as I wont b using it that much. So I am willing to compromise the weight, size, length, etc... as I will primarily be using it to sign my signature. So I was looking at a medium or broad nib. But basically my primary concern is the aesthetics of the pen, and secondary is functionality. I would like one, where I dip the pen in an ink canister and write with it, but I do not know the lingo for such. I have an appreciation for the antique (quill and ink) and would like to have a writing instrument i could carry on as such.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Restored Parker 51.

I found one that belonged to my great-grandfather which had been sitting in a desk drawer for who knows how long. It still worked, even with the wrong sort of ink. I only had to get it repaired after I dropped it. The style of the tip, with the hood covering the nib, is very distinctive.

iridium7777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
Nakaya, what else?

mmmmmm, nakaya urushi piccolo... was on the website ordering it but found an mb149 at a price that i couldn't pass up. no doubt in my mind i will still get the nakaya.

btw, you'll have to cough up $450 for it, but that $150 over your budget will give you absolutely something unique and hand made and i doubt you'll ever meet another person with one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics