• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend A Cheap Small Watch

Clench Million

Reaction score
how about suggestions for a cheap LARGE watch?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invicta.

Originally Posted by Clench Million

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Wow...thanks for sharing that website.

I'm really digging the Seiko military watch...and it's only $85!

Does anyone have any experience with roachman.com in terms of reliability/quality? Thanks.

I ordered 4 Seikos from Wayne Lee (aka roachman) 5 years ago and was happy with his service.

Just to let you know, the Seiko 7S26 automatic movement is very robust, but is not manually woundable or hacking (the seconds hand does not really stop) some of the more pricier Seiko movements are hackable and could be wound manually. The crystals on a lot of inexpensive watches, including Seiko, are made with mineral glass so it can be scratched in careless handling.

Originally Posted by Clench Million

I second the Archimede suggestion and would like to add the Seiko and Citizen Divers. Here is the Seiko Samurai diver (also comes in black and white dial versions).

01_small.jpg

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Wow...thanks for sharing that website. I'm really digging the Seiko military watch...and it's only $85! Does anyone have any experience with roachman.com in terms of reliability/quality? Thanks.
the PMWF.com shops also have a large selection Seiko 5's. The prices are on average cheaper than roachman.com too (a bunch of them starting at $59) I got this one for $59 + $20 express EMS shipping (~3-5 biz days delivered) to Canada from PMWF.com
watchht1.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the basic Tissot PR50 fits the bill.. about 35MM and $250ish (less for quartz, more for auto)

597a_1.JPG

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Just to let you know, the Seiko 7S26 automatic movement is very robust, but is not manually woundable or hacking (the seconds hand does not really stop) some of the more pricier Seiko movements are hackable and could be wound manually. The crystals on a lot of inexpensive watches, including Seiko, are made with mineral glass so it can be scratched in careless handling.

If there's one area of men's clothing I'm completely clueless on, it's watches. So, please bear with me...

can you explain a little further what it means by manually woundable or hacking.

I mean, it does tell time, right?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
the PMWF.com shops also have a large selection Seiko 5's. The prices are on average cheaper than roachman.com too (a bunch of them starting at $59)

I got this one for $59 + $20 express EMS shipping (~3-5 biz days delivered) to Canada from PMWF.com

watchht1.jpg

That Seiko is pretty nice, $59 bucks for an automatic is a great price, I didn't even realize they were available for that cheap. Might as well spend a bit of money on a nice strap to go with the watch.

Whenever I see Seiko's I'm always reminded of my grandfather, so they are quite old-school in my eyes.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm coming from the same place as you--I even wanted the same Stowa Antea KS.

See this thread for inexpensive watch suggestions:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=48649

Lastly: I just bought the Seiko 5 Aviator and am extremely happy with it. Gotten a lot of compliments, although you need to wear it occasionally to avoid losing time. Run an eBay seller search for "pokemonyu" if you're interested.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Seiko 5. Their typically modest size means they look good on narrower wrists.

I wear one every day, except on very cold winter days, as the crystal has a habit of fogging up from the inside if it gets too chilly. The crystal does have one set of scratches, but is relatively resilient, and I'm not kind to it.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
That Seiko is pretty nice, $59 bucks for an automatic is a great price, I didn't even realize they were available for that cheap. Might as well spend a bit of money on a nice strap to go with the watch.

Whenever I see Seiko's I'm always reminded of my grandfather, so they are quite old-school in my eyes.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but since it was brought up: I am looking for a source of decent leather watch bands that aren't too expensive (under $50USD of possible). The one I ordered along (shown in picture) with my Seiko from the same store is horrible quality; the (supposedly "leather"... more like foam) backing on it had already started cracking after two wears.

Recommend any?

rezzor

Reaction score
I have one of these with a tan face and I've been pretty happy with it although it's a bit thick, it's pretty small in general. I'm always tempted by the Antea but it looks kinda of similar.
24529.jpg

leon12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Sorry to hijack the thread, but since it was brought up: I am looking for a source of decent leather watch bands that aren't too expensive (under $50USD of possible). The one I ordered along (shown in picture) with my Seiko from the same store is horrible quality; the (supposedly "leather"... more like foam) backing on it had already started cracking after two wears.

Recommend any?

http://www.lonestarwatches.com/
http://www.mywatchmaker.net/

I've used both.. good service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads