• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recomendations for Shinjuku

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
need a good, no, great, world class, ramen place. and maybe a nice, but not nessasarily worldclass, sushi place. and anything else that you can recomend - I have 2-3 meals to eat while I am in town.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Zach, Ramen is one of those things thats a really individualized taste. Do you prefer light, clear broth? Spicy broth? Thin or thick noodles? Menya Musashi is probably the most "famous" ramen place in Shinjuku. That means that you could be waiting in line outside for a while. Good place to start though, if you happen to stroll by and see it without a bunch of people in front. Personally, I have a somewhat indelicate palette, and Musashi's shoyu broth is just kind of meh. But a lot of people really like it.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Personally though, If I were to take you somewhere, I'd probably take you to Ramen Jiro. It's basically (and I mean this in the best possible way) the "southern truck stop" of Tokyo ramen places, the broth is thick and packed with flavor. It's kind of a dive, (I think they have more than one shop, but I've only been to one of them) But the Ramen is great. They offer you free been spouts, garlic, and pork fat, for God's sake - say yes when this happens. This is not a light, delicate meal. This **** makes me full. So it will probably make damn near anyone full.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. There's a good Tsukemen place called Yasube in Shinjuku too. (like ramen, but the noodles and the broth come seperately, and you use the broth more ilke a dipping sauce) They have a spicy miso tsukemen that's pretty good. http://www.ramenadventures.com/2009/...adanobaba.html Also, you can probably find something else here: http://www.ramentokyo.com/search/label/Shinjuku-ku Also, as my standard recommendation, I will highly suggest you make the trip out to Minowa and hit up Tempura Iseya. And Maisen near Omotesando for Tonkatsu.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, staying at the hilton.

hmmmm..... I guess I like relativly porky thick ramen, but I can't say that I have had a lot of really good ramen - a hand full of places I've enjoyed. I don't really like fish broth, so the fish broth based ones are probrably out. If I ahve time, I'd travel an hour or two by train for a good meal, but I am not sure how busy I will be.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
thanks, staying at the hilton. hmmmm..... I guess I like relativly porky thick ramen, but I can't say that I have had a lot of really good ramen - a hand full of places I've enjoyed. I don't really like fish broth, so the fish broth based ones are probrably out. If I ahve time, I'd travel an hour or two by train for a good meal, but I am not sure how busy I will be.
Nothing I listed outside of Shinjuku is more than half an hour by Metro from there. You should check out Ramen Jiro http://www.ramentokyo.com/2007/06/ramen-jiro.html http://benetnate.blogspot.com/2007/0...-in-world.html There is one in Shinjuku proper, and one in Kabukicho, which I believe is the one I went to.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll make you a deal, you fly me over there, and I'll show you where all my favorite restaurants are.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'll make you a deal, you fly me over there, and I'll show you where all my favorite restaurants are.
smile.gif

let me think about it

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
let me think about it
I was mostly kidding, but if you were to Kabbaz me, I wouldn't Conne out on you.
biggrin.gif

dhaller

Reaction score
need a good, no, great, world class, ramen place. and maybe a nice, but not nessasarily worldclass, sushi place. and anything else that you can recomend - I have 2-3 meals to eat while I am in town.

The problem with such recommendations - especially the sushi place recommendations - is that the chefs (let's just call them that) move around from place to place. Now, the locals know where they are, so it's always best just to ask, but another strategy that works is to go at lunchtime and see where the big lines are - folks waiting to get in to these places that have like 4-5 seats - and then get there early the next day to beat the line.

This is the ONLY way to do the line of sushi bars in Tsukuji fish market, by the way... and if you like sushi, you *should* hit up Tsukiji fish market at least one day.

DH

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let us know where you end up going and how it was Zach.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
check out the pics on my fb, slim

ended up having dinner sunday with NR and ratboy

lunch on monday a ramen place by a meeting I had - miso based and thin noodles, very good. dinner ramen by my hotel, sort of a random place, thick, chewy noodles with a pork broth and nice pork meat, order of paper thin gyoza, too. very nice.

tuesday morning breakfast at the fish market, basic set up sushi - 7 pieces of sushi plus a roll and miso soup with clams. un ******* believable. seriously made the best sushi I have ever had seem like cat food.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm embarressed to say, I don't remember how to add pics on SF. let me see if I can figure it out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads