• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Sartorialist Looks

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Contemporary dressers seem to be measured by contemporary trends mush of the time (skinny sleeves, skinny pants, short jacket, etc.)--but iconic dressers like Agnelli, the Duke, and Astaire wore clothes that are very much the opposite of those things, and we praise them to no end. None of the aforementioned icons ever wore skinny sleeves--in fact, their sleeves were quite full--yet contemporary eyes seem to ignore that anomoly in their glowing appraisals.

Yeah, these are really fat......
Fred-Astaire-Photograph-C12141615.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any Lycra in Astaire's sleeves' fabric?

Biscione

Reaction score
I think that the difference is that the very slim sleeves are more acceptable in conservative environments these days because they're in vogue. I think that Agnelli and maybe even Astaire took the look to the furthest extreme that they could all those decades ago; any slimmer and it would have appeared that their suits were too small.

In this way, I feel that although the sleeves are different, they act as equivalents (for their time periods).

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Fuller than the Sartorialist guy's.

No way!

And just cause I'm bored, more billowing sleeves....

FredAstaireGingerRogersRio33_GazellesWBack.jpg

astaire1.jpg

FREDLINKS%20copy.gif

1196864183205_01.jpg

Nicholas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
Those are still fuller; they're simply worn by men with thin arms.

I beg to differ. Astaire's sleeves looks pretty much on par with the aforementioned photo.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Oh right - i forgot that proportions mean nothing to you.

No, he just likes his sleeves Rubinesque.

Biscione

Reaction score
I'm not so sure, but black and white tie should certainly be worn with slimmer sleeves like Astaire's. In any case, I prefer slimmer sleeves anyway. I personally think that they look better than the Rubinacci sleeves.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicholas
I beg to differ. Astaire's sleeves looks pretty much on par with the aforementioned photo.
but he's as thin as a rail. and his pants are full.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Look how his suit sleeve hugs his shirt cuff- there is no space between them. Hedi would be pleased.

Nicholas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kei-bon
but he's as thin as a rail. and his pants are full.

If he's thin or not has nothing to do with the question at hand. I was referring to the fullness of the sleeves in regard to the size of his arms. The ratio seems to be pretty much equal, which was my intended comment.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foo was right about the sleeves being incorrect on the Satorialist pic. I think he failed to articulate it correctly. The imbalance is that the torso of the check was much large than the sleeves and pants. With the Astaire picture the sleeves are skinny, but he is also a very skinny man. The torso and sleeves are proportional to each other on the Astaire picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads