• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Received damaged shoes--advice ?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I received Grensons I purchased in the mail, a nice pair that had soft leather, seemed well put together, wonderful color etc. until I noticed the sole was separating already. I was disappointed since these were listed as new in perfect and unworn condition. So I contacted the seller. "Sometimes it is very difficult to spot all the faults. This is actually a very minor fault as it is an area where typically the sole cannot be further removed from the upper," and she's saying she can offer £15 off the price as a final discount so I could have a mender glue the area together. Or I could request a refund.

The return policy is as follows: if item doesn't fit or you don't like it you can send it back at your own shipping expense for a full refund. But then it says under exceptional circumstances they will cover the return postage. This seems like an exceptional circumstance, having been sent a defective item ?

Gluing the soles wouldn't seem like such a bad option if the item were not supposedly brand new and in perfect condition...Am I entitled to requesting a full refund including the return shipping costs?

* Apologies for the low picture quality, was taken with cell phone.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its grenson
frown.gif
what do you expect also you are stepping on the shoes anyways i expect you will press it back togetehr

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
wow I didnt expect grensons were that bad

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personaly, I say defect!
BUT, that looks like a pretty easy fix and you could just glue it back together yourself and pocket the discount, your call I guess.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I know what you mean, it doesn't seem horrible. I don't want to rip the person off so I am trying to go according to return policy.

but somehow it still strikes me as absurd to buy something listed as being in perfect condition and then having to repair it, irrespective of any discount, maybe because it requires an expenditure of time ?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh returns are so annoying... esp overseas. either way you are kinda stuck, if they won't take the return you could file a credit card chargeback i guess, or argue with them until they concede

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
hopefully it doesn't come to that, but assuming i have to file a dispute through paypal and then with visa and visa refunds me, the shoes remain in my possession ? then I'd have to pay to ship them back still...

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're fucked either way unless they concede to a full refund + return ship.
And you're totally right in being pissed because they're definitely not in new unword condition, but imo if you really want them you're better off taking the discount and fixing them yourself, and you'd probably have better luck negocating a higher discount than getting a full refund + return shipping cost, especially if its ems international.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Got to a cobbler and ask him how much it would cost and what the structural impacts are, if any. Ask for more than that from the seller.

i.e. if it cost 15 pounds request 25 saying its costly.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
but no matter what kind of discount I get I'm still wasting time to go have a new item fixed. I might as well have gone to the mall and bought to something

From Visa:
Quality Disputes . This chargeback code also may be used for quality disputes (for example, a car repair situation)
also
The chargeback may include shipping and handling fees for shipment of the defective merchandise

i really don't want to go through this process though...

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Then what do you want?

I mean you're asking for advice, but you already know what you want to do, but you really dont want to go through the process of doing it?

I dont see any other choice man, unless you can make them concede, you either get into it with Visa, or get discount and deal with the reapir on your own, just pick one and do it.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I wrote a letter detailing my concerns and asked them to consider a full refund+return shipping, but made no mention of disputes/chargebacks since I figured threats are pretty useless.

i guess just advice on what's the best way to get the seller to refund me ? Or if it comes down to it, whether claiming a dispute via paypal actually works ? and if not, then all I have to do is tell visa i got a defective item and i get my money back? that sounds odd if it's really that simple...

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really like the shoe, and you got some sort of deal, it seems like you should accept the compensation for 'defects' and just wear it out to see if it deteriorates further.

At that point I'm sure a cobbler could fix it right up.

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
its grenson
frown.gif
what do you expect

also you are stepping on the shoes anyways i expect you will press it back togetehr

Yes, please enlighten us? I have a couple pairs from the Rushden collection and I cannot complain. I also have a pair of brogue boots on the way. I would probably not purchase from the Feathermaster line. But what is wrong with the other Grenson lines that are made in the UK? Why does it get mentioned here then? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12201

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads