• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rat Problems?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the years, my wife and I have occasionally had problems with rat intrusions. When this has happened, I customarily have dealt with it with traps and poison. I kill a few rats and the problem abates.

Most recently, we had another rat problem. I trapped five or six. All of them were black (tree) rats in the brown and gray color phase. None of them was full-grown, and I am inclined to think they were all from the same litter. I have left traps out but have not killed any more rats in the past three weeks or so.

I would have been content to let matters rest there, but my wife had to get the pest control company we use into the act. The exterminator wanted to effectively seal of the vents leading to the crawl space under our house as well as making some kind of door for the entry to the crawl space. Cost is $425. The problem is greatly complicated by the fact that a skunk sometimes dens under the house, and we have to get rid of the skunk before he can do the job. Easier said than done: The only live traps available in our local hardware emporia are either too big to fit into the crawl space or too small to catch the skunk. Killing the skunk is not an option. The animal has been sort of a pet to me. I also don't like the idea of having to relocate the skunk for fear it will spray in my Jeep. If I had a pickup truck, this wouldn't be a problem.

I realize that my trap and poison method is sort of a "Band-Aid" solution. However, given how many ways rats can get into the house, I am inclined to think that re-screening the vents is also a Band-Aid solution and lot more pricey and bothersome than my traps.

Anyway, I'd like to get opinions from some fellows who've had rat problems before I go ahead and get an intermediate size trap to catch my little striped friend and proceed with "sealing" the crawl space.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The last time I had a rat problem we solved it with beer (for us) and baseball bats (for the rats). It was 100% effective and cheap, but your mileage may vary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads