• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any good substitute for Schezuan peppercorns? I have a recipe that calls for them. I have black, white, and green, but no Schezuan peppercorns.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any good substitute for Schezuan peppercorns? I have a recipe that calls for them. I have black, white, and green, but no Schezuan peppercorns.

nope. szechuan peppercorns produce an unusual tingling sensation instead of pure heat (ma la). in fact, in hmong grocery stores in fresno, i've seen the semi-dried leaves of the tree sold as quasi-pharmaceuticals -- they rub them on aching muscles as a kind of homeopathic ben-gay (no ****). because the tree is a citrus, and because it is prone to a canker that can be devastating, periodically the importation is outlawed.

dacox

Reaction score
Yeah, Sichuan peppers are all about the numbing sensation. There really isn't too much heat/other flavor in them. I wouldn't try substituting them with any other peppers because no other peppers (that I know of at least) give the same sensation that they do. If I'm making something that calls for them and I don't really want to deal with the numbness, I just leave them out.

What are you making? Does your recipe call for fresh ones or dried? I always see the dried ones available every time I'm in Chinatown, but I've never seen fresh (at least in Chicago).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sichuan pepper has a pretty unique flavor too, its piquant and citrusy and to me some almost have a jasmine like flavor. i use it for the flavor moreso than the tingly feeling

dacox

Reaction score
I guess my mind has kind of fused the flavor and numb/tingly sensation together since they always go hand-in-hand. I see what you mean though. I do definitely notice some citrusy flavor in there, especially after biting down on one or something. My judgement has probably been kind of overpowered by the massive quantities I'm used to the Sichuan chefs using here and especially in Sichuan.

Either way, I don't know if I'd substitute another pepper if they weren't available. I'd probably just leave it out of the recipe. I'm surprised you can't find them though.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was able to find them at a local spice shop.
hwu1ql.jpg

I can certainly understand why you wouldn't be able to substitute these with any other peppercorns. They are very fruity and zesty in aroma. I also popped a few in my mouth to taste and the right side of my tongue stayed pretty numb for about 10 minutes. Pretty cool, these peppercorns are.

I'm using them with fish.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I actually already have those. I like them, too.

I figured this. I'd never use dried tarragon or basil or "herb for meat/fish/caviar", etc. And I did try the curry powder, but there is another brand that I prefer so I may dump the D&D stuff and refill the vial (because the vial looks pretty damn cool on one of my shelves) with the other brand. I recon there's a lot of stuff that I should just dump and refill with other things, but I'd have to find white stickers of the exact same diameter and the same font for printing new labels. Actually, I may do new labels all together, I don't like the mix of upper case and lower case.

one of the ones I am most interested in is lavender. What can I do with this? My initial thought is to steep a tad of it in creme for a pot de creme or a creme brulee, but are there any suggestions?

Lavender goes very well with stonefruits, particularly peaches. I sometimes integrate lavender into my pastry dough as well.

Using lavender with braised pork, lamb, or roasted chicken is delicious, but keep it simple.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That would be a good stone, but if you go down to Northwestern Cutlery on..... Lake? In the west loop, they have better stones and probably cheaper as well. And you'll want a correcting stone to make sure that your stones stay flat after use.

I think I'll run out there tonight...hopefully their instore prices are lower than their online shop :)
I've always wanted to stop in there though...and it looks like wednesday is the night they stay open later.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys ever utilize yuzu koshu in your cooking? It's a great way to use the flavor of yuzu while having a product that really doesn't perish. It can be quite hot due to the chili peppers and salty due to the pickling method, but the flavor is intensely yuzu and a little bit goes a long way.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love it on grilled shrimp. Otherwise it is too hot for my delicate sensitivities.

Do you put it on before or after cooking? Part of a marinade?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm really bored and tired of reading extremely dense 19th century philosophy so I'm making chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads