• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Moo, tell me what I should do. I work a dead-end job full time, while also applying for better stuff once every three days, but after doing this for a year the only offers I've received are for unpaid internships, of which I've taken three my GPA is very good, I graduated from a good university, I have internship experience and while interning I've worked 60+ Hours/ week. I don't think it qualifies as laziness. It does, however, qualify as a **** economy.

As for "everyone can move up" you go to a school in southeast DC and tell me that everyone can move up. Third graders who can't read, teachers who try to strangle students and can't be replaced because no one else is willing to teach the class, but I'm sure they can overcome years of absolutely failed education if they just try. Yes, I worked in the school I'm talking about and it was sad that I could even help. I should have been useless, and would have been at the school I attended. Because one was funded by middle class families, and one wasn't.

After sleeping on this, my suggestion would be to go back to school. I may have missed what your profession is, but it doesn't sound like it's a field you are enjoying or in which you will be progressing.

Ok let me weigh in on this because i was going through it, am going through it.

Firstly i never had a dead end job! Every job i had has always been something where i made opportunity. You can view a job as dead end but usually there is growth and you can find it. If there isn't growth, there are other ways such as night school and doing the absolute minimum hours at your current job, (by minimum i mean minimum to be able to sustain yourself), and working on something you love or something that makes your career on the side. There are meet ups, teachers, internships and side jobs that can be found.

Its about having the mental state of not wanting to fail and wanting more. Look at other sf dude, nice clothes, i want that, go get it... My favorite word in the dictionary is perseverance. The drive is what kept and keeps me going. Also support from fam, friends, etc is good.

Moo and I did not come from wealthy families, not by a long shot, our families came from USSR where **** was real **** (we grew up together and know each other 20+ years btw). Our parents worked their asses off to make things work, not much career choice either. We both had diff career paths and made things work. I finished my degree much later than he did and have been playing a bit of catch up lately but at every point in my career i was trying to do better.

Point is, its not you or your education, those things help, but some of the richest and most successful people in the world came from **** and made things work because they wanted more either for themselves or their family.

PM me and moo if you like, i'm sure we can give you some advice...
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Side note: my dad once ended up in the marin ghetto north of san francisco and told me it reminded him of russia. Thats so you guys get an idea how it was in the USSR and what our parents went through.

Last edited:

Biggen

Reaction score

wait so we're gonna totally not talk about the frank leder nazi postcard thing? because i feel like that warrants at least an explanation.

Don't get why one would get nazi associations by the post card. Just looks like some old industrial buildings.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what if you didn't have parents that worked their asses off.  telling me all those kids are stupid and lazy?

if you didn't you either do better than parents and work your ass off or fall into the same ****** life. same thing as being complacent or not...

gtg for now

fireflygrave

Reaction score

Outliers exist :)

Yes. And they are called outliers because they are outside of the norm.

The reason this discussion isn't going anywhere is because half of the people think the norm is just lazy and the outliers are achievers, and the other half that the outliers are anomalies that don't at all prove that the system isn't fucked.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

wait so we're gonna totally not talk about the frank leder nazi postcard thing? because i feel like that warrants at least an explanation.

I don't care if he's a fascist because he makes nice clothes. Moo is trolling, but anyway assuming any 20th century German picture is automatically some nazi garbage is absurd

franks9.jpg

AK-Schmoelln-Jul-Donath-Knopf-Fabrik-fuer-Steinnuss-Hornknoepfe.jpg

back-side-AK-Schmoelln-Jul-Donath-Knopf-Fabrik-fuer-Steinnuss-Hornknoepfe.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

what if you didn't have parents that worked their asses off.  telling me all those kids are stupid and lazy?

Reading comprehension, bro.

Lazy parents who don't participate in their kids' education obviously contribute negatively to their kids' lives. But that doesn't mean all hope is lost.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, i didn't realize it was a fabric factory.

hence the request for an explanation ^_^.

einfallsloserName123

Reaction score
Still, at least here in Germany something like his postcard, with this whole "made in Germany" thing in Fraktur (which afaik was something popular at the begining of the third reich time, though it was already old at that time and not popular at all after 1945) in black/white/red would immediately be associated with nazi era Germany. I mean, reinterpreting old German clothing seems to be his kind of thing (for example according to his site his new collection is called "Walz", the journeyman years of craftsmen in Germany were they wear very distinctive, traditional clothes and which becomes more and more uncommon, which I think is an interessting idea), but the way he makes it, almost everyone here would think he just wants to provoke, I think. And I myself am annoyed by people trying to provoke with something like this, as I find it to be impious and simply not original. Or maybe I just overact and nobody exept me would associate it with that, don't know. I'm just always really annoyed when poeple do stuff like that and I could hardly wear it without feeling weird and trying others not find informations about the brand.

edit: Though interesstingly I just read that the nazis forbid the Walz in the third reich. ^^

edit2: Or maybe I remember that all wrong, don't rely on what I said. xD

Last edited:

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. And they are called outliers because they are outside of the norm.

The reason this discussion isn't going anywhere is because half of the people think the norm is just lazy and the outliers are achievers, and the other half that the outliers are anomalies that don't at all prove that the system isn't fucked.
Sure but why not discuss actual findings on the subject then? People are free to believe whatever the f they want, but when the OECD finds that the US has one of the worst intergenerational social mobility in all of the industrialized countries that should count for something. To me it's much more relevant than a bunch of rah-rah stories about someone making it despite long odds. But this is how public discourse is more and more, talking points and cheap analysis rule all... Which I guess is a kind of talking point in itself. Time is a flat circle of PR bullshit.

http://www.oecd.org/eco/growth/49849281.pdf

rft: are steamers actually worth it? I don't mind ironing too much, but the rave reviews on Amazon are making me consider one

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People, please, don´t digress. This is Random Tipping Thoughts, keep it on topic. Thx.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't care if he's a fascist because he makes nice clothes. Moo is trolling, but anyway assuming any 20th century German picture is automatically some nazi garbage is absurd
franks9.jpg

AK-Schmoelln-Jul-Donath-Knopf-Fabrik-fuer-Steinnuss-Hornknoepfe.jpg

back-side-AK-Schmoelln-Jul-Donath-Knopf-Fabrik-fuer-Steinnuss-Hornknoepfe.jpg

buddy open history book its not absurd, its truth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads