• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
There is no pm etiquette, I delete most of them these days anyway.

Large influx of noob marsupials lately, latest is unironed look guy.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
I don't get why it's so hard for people to just PM back saying "Sorry, I'm no longer interested in X" I can see that you've been active since the last PM
facepalm.gif

I'll sometimes forget to respond with regards to an item I requested measurements on. It's never intentional, though.

What bothers me are the situations where the person has said they WILL buy an item, but they need a few days/week. You agree and then you never hear from the person again.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my new Julius boots yesterday over to my younger brother's house for dinner. He said the high leather tops with pants tucked into them makes them look like girl's boots, since he only sees women wearing boots this way. Multiple insults then ensued claiming I dress like a "fashion ***", etc.

Naturally, he's a work of art himself....

50 lbs overweight with obvious belly and rolls
Levi light blue dad jeans hiked up high
XL polo shirt tucked in with his company's logo on it
Baggy LL Bean black polyester fleece jacket
Some kind ugly hiking boot / tennis shoe hybrid

After listening to his continual abuse, I finally told him he he dresses like an aging Baby Boomer. And he acted like "What's wrong with that? That's how normal guys dress!"

I have always found it interesting what a strong influence the more economically dominate Baby Boomer generation has had a Generation X.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
There is no pm etiquette, I delete most of them these days anyway.

You sir would obviously not fit in at Ask Andy About Clothes, the most gentlemanly forum on the planet.
laugh.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^haha do i detect some sarcasm there?

I love how caring about one's appearance is apparently a predominantly gay trend? Can someone forward me that memo that you cannot be a man's man and be like this?

c00kz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Wore my new Julius boots yesterday over to my younger brother's house for dinner. He said the high leather tops with pants tucked into them makes them look like girl's boots, since he only sees women wearing boots this way. Multiple insults then ensued claiming I dress like a "fashion ***", etc. Naturally, he's a work of art himself.... 50 lbs overweight with obvious belly and rolls Levi light blue dad jeans hiked up high XL polo shirt tucked in with his company's logo on it Baggy LL Bean black polyester fleece jacket Some kind ugly hiking boot / tennis shoe hybrid After listening to his continual abuse, I finally told him he he dresses like an aging Baby Boomer. And he acted like "What's wrong with that? That's how normal guys dress!" I have always found it interesting what a strong influence the more economically dominate Baby Boomer generation has had a Generation X.
I've noticed this usually comes from the stylistically absent, where it's pretty easy to kind of settle things- "you dress in the dark and don't care, I do, etc." It's a little frustrating when it comes from people who have their own vague ideas of style (fitted hats, nikes, H&M pea) because they feel like you're in competition.. Your little brother sounds like a ball of sunshine, though. At dinner too? Unrelated, this forum is confusing sometimes- people discredit clothing by saying it's boxy but they rarely like anything with shape. And forum favorite dior, I'm going to say is pretty damn boxy..

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Wore my new Julius boots yesterday over to my younger brother's house for dinner. He said the high leather tops with pants tucked into them makes them look like girl's boots, since he only sees women wearing boots this way. Multiple insults then ensued claiming I dress like a "fashion ***", etc.

After listening to his continual abuse, I finally told him he he dresses like an aging Baby Boomer. And he acted like "What's wrong with that? That's how normal guys dress!"

I have always found it interesting what a strong influence the more economically dominate Baby Boomer generation has had a Generation X.

I probably would have just said "yep I'm gay" and left it at that. This is one of those arguments you aren't ever going to win. People that dress like **** don't like being told that. Also fat people are always just "big boned" or "a little chubby", never a fatass.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1

You probably could've de-fused the situation much earlier. You sound like a dick telling him he dresses like an aging baby boomer.

grouper

Reaction score
i mean in his defense julius is probably not the easiest thing for an ll bean / dad jeans bro to "get"

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You should wear a face shirt next time, that'll help him understand

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Wore my new Julius boots yesterday over to my younger brother's house for dinner. He said the high leather tops with pants tucked into them makes them look like girl's boots, since he only sees women wearing boots this way. Multiple insults then ensued claiming I dress like a "fashion ***", etc. Naturally, he's a work of art himself.... 50 lbs overweight with obvious belly and rolls Levi light blue dad jeans hiked up high XL polo shirt tucked in with his company's logo on it Baggy LL Bean black polyester fleece jacket Some kind ugly hiking boot / tennis shoe hybrid After listening to his continual abuse, I finally told him he he dresses like an aging Baby Boomer. And he acted like "What's wrong with that? That's how normal guys dress!" I have always found it interesting what a strong influence the more economically dominate Baby Boomer generation has had a Generation X.
I think the easiest question to ask back to him would be something along the lines of: Why do you even care about how I dress since you don't even care about the way you dress? This is most confusing to me because even as someone whose super anal retentive about clothing details I really hate the idea of deriding someone else's clothing because it's just so personal and non-consequential to others.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear anything too outlandish, but I've still had friends and family poke fun at some of the things I wear. One of my favorites was a friend who joked that some piece of furniture/home appliance/whatever had the same toggles that were on my duffel coat. He consistently wears light carpenter jeans and v-neck polo shirts. He wasn't being malicious about it, though, so I just took a jab at his fear of wearing non v-neck shirting, to which he responded, "Touche."

When it comes to disparaging remarks about your clothing from people in day-to-day situations, it's important to consider their own sense of style. It sounds elitist, but really, taking such remarks from someone who wears dad jeans and sports team sweatshirts seriously isn't much different than taking what FOX News has to say about liberals at face value. Context really is everything.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
This is most confusing to me because even as someone whose super anal retentive about clothing details I really hate the idea of deriding someone else's clothing because it's just so personal and non-consequential to others.

I've honestly never faced any real hostility re. anything I wear, and I hang around with a lot of "bro" types, including a fair number of MMA and BJJ fighters who consider Affliction and Tapout to be "pretty cool." I think that the most criticism I received was for wearing non-loose jeans, and that was more in the vein of "I'd never wear those because I'd find it hard to high kick someone in them" (which is a valid complaint, btw.) I've received some wierd compliments. "That jacket looks totally Mad Max" re. my Krane jacket, comes to mind. Most of my friends are typically either 1) a little mystified by my interest in fashion, and don't really mention it at all, or 2) try to engage me about it, in a genuine but misinformed way.

Maybe you guys should think about hanging out with guys who have better things to do than to criticize other people's hobbies.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how combs just fall back into place after a good soak.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I don't wear anything too outlandish, but I've still had friends and family poke fun at some of the things I wear. One of my favorites was a friend who joked that some piece of furniture/home appliance/whatever had the same toggles that were on my duffel coat. He consistently wears light carpenter jeans and v-neck polo shirts. He wasn't being malicious about it, though, so I just took a jab at his fear of wearing non v-neck shirting, to which he responded, "Touche."

When it comes to disparaging remarks about your clothing from people in day-to-day situations, it's important to consider their own sense of style. It sounds elitist, but really, taking such remarks from someone who wears dad jeans and sports team sweatshirts seriously isn't much different than taking what FOX News has to say about liberals at face value. Context really is everything.

Do polo shirts that aren't v neck exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads