• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting shoes stretched by a cobbler, actually works?

I've had this done about a dozen times (length). It worked I think 9 out of 12 times, giving me an extra half size in length. Once the leather cracked, another time it showed stretch marks. These were mostly cheap thrift store pickups, so the risk was low. I'd think twice about stretching something I had just purchased new.

Stretching the width, though, seems pretty straightforward and less risky.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anyone have experience getting shoes stretched by a cobbler, actually works?

yup the guys in the trickers shop in london did it for me. gives you maybe half a size in width. i dont think the length can change much.

I've had this done about a dozen times (length). It worked I think 9 out of 12 times, giving me an extra half size in length. Once the leather cracked, another time it showed stretch marks. These were mostly cheap thrift store pickups, so the risk was low. I'd think twice about stretching something I had just purchased new.

Stretching the width, though, seems pretty straightforward and less risky.

You can change the width, but not the length. Or at least not without a lot of risk. The reason is because the length is bound by sole. The width, on the other hand, is actually the total circumference of the foot, not just the left-to-right distance measured at the ball of the shoe. So when you're stretching the width of a shoe, you're just increasing the total circumference (or volume).

Most manufacturers use the same sole pattern for at least two widths, so it's not that unusual of a change.

Last edited:

washedout

Reaction score
I've had just about enough of wearing denim. What options are there in terms of slim fit trousers akin to zam barrett's offerings.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Seriously, it's been 35-40f in upstate NY the last few days and everybody has a t shirt on taking about how "warm" it is.

of course they are, they are used to living somewhere it is cold by any standard and when the weather warms up 30 degrees it is "warm" for them

come to LA, have your body get adjusted to the temps and then when it drops into the 30s and 40s you will be complaining like the rest of us, this is a commonly regurgitated fallacy i'm tired of hearing

my ex-gf lived in chicago her whole life and would complain when it was 70 here...i told her "but you're from chicago"

Reaction score
I just moved up to SF from LA and I'm wearing jackets and knits all day everyday

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@jet I wasn't trying to make a comparison, just stating the difference. I'm from Sydney, Aus. I've lived in the US for about 9 years. A "cold" winters day in Sydney is probably very similar to LA (like mid-lower 40's being really cold).

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

of course they are, they are used to living somewhere it is cold by any standard and when the weather warms up 30 degrees it is "warm" for them

come to LA, have your body get adjusted to the temps and then when it drops into the 30s and 40s you will be complaining like the rest of us, this is a commonly regurgitated fallacy i'm tired of hearing

my ex-gf lived in chicago her whole life and would complain when it was 70 here...i told her "but you're from chicago"

Yup, when I lived in Ann Arbor, I remember feeling like 30-40's were warm enough to wear a light tee and a hoodie. When, I went back to Cali and lived here for an extended period of time, 30's and 40's felt like hell. **** even 50's felt cold.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me it's more a matter of humidity than heat, as 25c with high humidity feels worse than 35 with low.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes and no. In general, yes, but I think that it's much easier to reacclimatize to the climate in which you were raised than to adjust to a new climate. Also, no matter how you perceive it, 5F is not 50F, and the minimum amount of clothing needed reflects this, no matter how acclimatized you are.

Moving from Canada, on the Great Lakes (so, cold and cloudy), to LA, was intense. I landed in September, and it felt like the brightest, hottest, day in my life. That's the othe thing that takes some getting used to - new light levels. I walked 15 minutes to get groceries, I thought that I would first be blinded, and then, probably melt. It took a few months to get the hang of LA weather and light levels (I wore a cap pulled down low all the time), and yes, in that winter, I was shivering, like everyone else, whilst wearing a sweater and jacket, in 50 degree weather. However, when I went back home for the holidays, my LA clothes just didn't cut it.

However, some people just seem to have greater or lesser tolerances for heat or cold, and also for higher or lower light levels, naturally. I have a very good friend who wears tee shirt and a shell in sub-zero temperatures, For me, no way. I'll have a few layers on. And we both grew up in the same place.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ew you have an xbawks instead of a ps3/4?

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH SYNTHESE?

PLAYSTATION MASTER RACE

I might grab Destiny for PS3.

Though I have bioshock 1&2 to beat as well as TVHM on Borderlands 2.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to believe this acclimatization business, but personal experience says no - living in cold weather has just made me more of a *****.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His stuff from 2015 is pretty different from this, but damn these two looks from Craig Green are awesome

s/s 14

f/w 14

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

eluther

Reaction score
I moved from Phoenix to Seattle and the climate took no time to adjust to, but like Fok said, adjusting to the light levels has been really difficult. It gets dark here at 5pm. The sun is never out. I never have any idea what time it is. That ***** with you.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love jetbroscience :)

but really i do remember learning about how your thyroid hormone levels adjust to your climate and that has a big role in temperature sensitivity (heat and cold tolerance). As LA guy astutely pointed out, the range varies from person to person

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fcweweww