1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LelandJ

LelandJ Senior member

I feel dirty just thinking back on it. Didn't know there was a video on it LOL.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

its on netflix. i forget what its called tho. it was a pretty shitty documentary about a restaurant rapidly becoming shitty

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

So the other kids - the 90% - someone forced them to drop out, go to jail, or get terrible jobs? I doubt anyone held a gun to any of their heads. They made a choice to "be cool", run with a bad crowd, do drugs, skip school. Their parents probably made choices you aren't ever aware of - not helping them with homework, not sending them to after school programs to keep them off the streets. I am speaking from my personal experience, and from the experiences of all of the Russian immigrants with whom I grew up. Are there fuck ups mixed in there? Of course. One of my good friends from elementary through middle school was in and out of jail, and is now an alcoholic. Another was a meth head and is now a successful ER nurse. Most others are - literally - doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, or successful business people.

I know there are disadvantages to being born in the ghetto, and it's a tough hole out of which to climb. But I'm going to stand pat and say that if someone really, REALLY wanted to make the choice to leave their shitty life behind, give up the easy dollar, and try to break free of their conditional underachievement, then they can - if they make a choice to do so. Food stamps, welfare, drug dealing, making ends meet are crutches simply too enticing for many to simply say "enough".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

You're absolutely right. WUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA. I assume the GOP has contacted you about becoming an idol in the upcoming election? Would be PERFECT replacement for Joe 6-Pack. Hardworking white first generation immigrants like you is what the new America should strive to be.

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Blaming children for ruining their entire lives via decisions made during adolescence is totally baffling, particularly coming from a father.

[citation needed]

5 people like this.
  6. 5354

5354 Senior member

everyone's going off the rail again

7. DividedWay

DividedWay Senior member

Moo, tell me what I should do. I work a dead-end job full time, while also applying for better stuff once every three days, but after doing this for a year the only offers I've received are for unpaid internships, of which I've taken three my GPA is very good, I graduated from a good university, I have internship experience and while interning I've worked 60+ Hours/ week. I don't think it qualifies as laziness. It does, however, qualify as a shit economy.

As for "everyone can move up" you go to a school in southeast DC and tell me that everyone can move up. Third graders who can't read, teachers who try to strangle students and can't be replaced because no one else is willing to teach the class, but I'm sure they can overcome years of absolutely failed education if they just try. Yes, I worked in the school I'm talking about and it was sad that I could even help. I should have been useless, and would have been at the school I attended. Because one was funded by middle class families, and one wasn't.

1 person likes this.
  8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

If I learned anything it's that you should do stupid/illegal stuff when you're young and just get the record sealed. Or turn it into a sob story for your college application essay.

1 person likes this.
  9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I hate how you can use smileys unless you know the code

:popcorn:

SF always entertaining

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Wait, what? I was simply stating that the kids g tran was talking about, who didn't make it, probably had as much to do with it as their parents. I'm not saying kids who make bad decisions never make it - where are you getting that? I even gave an example of someone I personally know who made terrible decisions and is now quite successful.

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Its like the kid that grew up on third base and thinks he hit a triple

7 people like this.
  12. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

I think it's around a three month wait right now. Possibly a bit longer. I ordered a pair in the summer last year, and one boot had an issue I hadn't noticed for the first few months. They fixed it for free - one person in the shop was cool about it, the other was a bit of a dick. Kinda weird.

Can't say I had the best experience, but I still ordered another pair lol. I'm not really sure if I notice their weight. Even if they are heavy, I don't think it's a big deal given the style of boot, but what do I know.

They are $500 right now FYI, but I paid $375 for both pairs. Really like the boots, but not so sure about the people who work there TBH.

I didn't tip them, BTW. To stay on topic.

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

What field are you in? Are you tied down to your area?

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

If you are referring to me... you are off base. I'm not going to defend my life and what I had/chose to do, but if you want to chat PM me. :)

15. habitant

habitant Senior member

I believe waiters actually earn a living wage there. Also, not interested in those nonnative pants I offered you!?!??

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Shiiiiit.... sorry, I saw the PM and forgot to reply. Got pics/link? :)

17. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

So how do you guys feel about tipping at places like hotpot and korean bbq? Especially buffet style hotpot and korean bbq. I mean, if I'm gonna get my own food and cook it, I think the restaurant should tip me at the end of my meal.

2 people like this.
  18. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

BTW, Moo et al, you do realize that you're all arguing about the noise in the dataset that KJ presented? Yes, we can all think of individual examples of the income of children deviating from that of their parents, but it doesn't change the fact that they represent a drop in the ocean of data that make up the data that drive the overall trend.

10 people like this.
  19. DividedWay

DividedWay Senior member

Moo, I am completely un-tied-down. I've applied to jobs in almost every major city in the U.S. I graduated with a degree in politic science, and while it's not cs, it's not art either. But my point is that there are people in dead end jobs who do not want to be there, who are putting in effort to leave, and the idea that they shouldn't be able to pay rent because their job isn't "valuable" or skilled is bullshit. Everyone should be making a living wage, and if everyone did we would literally all be better off.

1 person likes this.
  20. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

That is tough but why are you buying super expensive clothes then man? I dont doubt your story but that seems like imprudent decision making.

Also what was your undergrad major/school/gpa. A lot of time people say good they mean not even top 20 and a 3.5 when the average is an inflated 3.43. I don't believe grades necessarily mean you are smarter or more capable but other than actually showing skill in the field there isnt much else to go by (altho cool article recently about how google does hiring). For residencies they tend to use score cut offs because even among high scorers, there are more applicants than spots so they can set that cut off and still find enough capable people who will be successful. Like I have 0 shot at certain schools because they only take 2 residents and they can limit it to top 5-10% of test takers and still be choosy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.