• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on sizing for Kris van Assche shirts? The model on SSense has measurements very close to mine, and he's wearing a size 46/small, which is a size that would never really work for me with most brands. Are KVA shirts fairly generously sized?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a 10" drop, so I have to buy pants and jacket as separates.
Yeah, separates land is no fun :confused:. I'll never get to enjoy the feeling of finding a whole suit online, pressing "buy," and having my search end there.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any backpack recommendations? I'm looking for a black, preferably leather (though I'd consider other materials), simple one. I need it for class and stuff so it should be of decent size. Definitely not looking for anything 'tech'-like. I only have a little over a semester left, but I like backpacks so depending on what I'm doing after graduation it might get a lot of use. The cheaper the better of course but I could go to $300+ if I felt it was worth it.

I like these (but they're too expensive or unavailable):

Ann D...~$900, which is much more than I'd like to spend.

TOJ. Shame I didn't get one when I could.

Eastpak. Not available in the U.S. AFAIK. I would get a proxy but I'm also concerned that it would be too small.

Henson. Sold out on the one webstore that sells it.

Most of these are pricier examples but it doesn't really need to be all that nice. Something like the Eastpak one would work (but bigger).

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way about haerfast? Retail is 5-600 but can be found on discount..

Can anyone give me some advice on sizing for Kris van Assche shirts? The model on SSense has measurements very close to mine, and he's wearing a size 46/small, which is a size that would never really work for me with most brands. Are KVA shirts fairly generously sized?

I always size up since they seem to have tiny/high armholes. Other than that I think they fit like most designer shirts; shoulder is around17" and chest is around 19" on a small

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Scabal fabrics are overpriced, fragile and really only good for something you wear 3x a year - at least that's my experience.
You're better off with H&S, Minnis, Lesser, etc...

I think that "overpriced" is too strong a word, but yes, it's not hard wearing. On the other hand, how hard wearing does a pant of formal trousers have to be, unless you are James Bond?

Black is tricky. I looked through lots of books, and invariably, it's hard to find a truly rich black. Of course, cheap black fabrics are hideous. But, we're not talking cheap now, are we. For some formal wear I commissioned I chose a mini-herringbone black that gave more depth than did the worsteds I looked at. For a climate like LA, you might want to look at a lightweight fabric. Huddersfield carries a really nice silk wool lightweight blend from Hunts&Winterbotham that would probably work great for LA:

http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=haw&c=3&p=1

Not cheap, and a good tailor, while not necessarily a great stylist, should be a great designer, and be able to tell you whether the cloth is suitable. I would never choose a cloth for CMT without consulting with the tailor with whom I am working.

This your first foray into bespoke? It can be pretty fun, but also, a huge headache. I personally prefer RTW, but I also happen to really like novelty.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair points, Fok. I couldn't really care much about the EG- it's the Mister Freedom that has me conflicted. If that's the case, I should probably keep them. They'll likely never be made again, in any iteration. It sounds like you have some great pieces stored away. My closet is definitely full, but I need to do a little remodel since I bought the house a year ago, and it should be just fine...

Your son(s) are going to love going through your collection when they are big enough to wear stuff (provided you let them).

Wonderful point there. My daughter will be tall, and she would probably enjoy wearing some MF when she's older. That thought really makes me smile :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't mind if you occasionally dropped the internet persona for posts like this more often, either.

I've been wearing my VB coat every single day since it got cold.  It's not flashy or weird like a lot of **** that gets repped here, it's just really, really perfect.  MMM has a lot of things with that characteristic, too.  Every time I've owned something that was avant garde or really blatantly designer-y, it's been sold or gone back eventually, and I can't think of a lot of designers that are catering to people who just want to wear normal-ish, nice (casual) clothes right now.  If you're the funky bizcaz/ trouser-wearing type, you can do a lot better, but really I just want to wear jeans + boots + knit/tshirt and jacket 90% of the time.  Name me a designer that had jeans as a core part of their collection this season that isn't in the goth ninja camp.

Balmain if you want to be a rock star.
Junya Watanabe for the gentleman farmer mashup
Dolce&Gabbana if you want to be an Italian farmer/fisherman manslut.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KJ, dsquared jeans are pretty good. I know the brand is not everyone´s cup of tea, but their jeans have a really nice feel. I own a bunch of them and they´ve got some great fits. They also have many models and you can get them on sale for a decent price. If not, scout for some balmains, like LA Guy said. I got mine for 200 bucks on farfetch (on discount from over 500) while browsing every corner of the internet one night.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
To invent a new opera. He gave me the assignment to break with all rules and I made my best effort to do so. Today it seems to me as though we had been little children and we screamed against a high and strong wall: tradition.

And so tonight I went to a performance of Don Giovanni in a light blule/grey wool-cotton blend yohji suit, top button of 3 done only, white tee and chucks in off white, dirtied from constant wear. a white pocket square garnishing. I wish pickpackpockpuck was around for this one :D

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** yeah Styleforum?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Olivine76

Reaction score

Anyone have any backpack recommendations? I'm looking for a black, preferably leather (though I'd consider other materials), simple one. I need it for class and stuff so it should be of decent size. Definitely not looking for anything 'tech'-like. I only have a little over a semester left, but I like backpacks so depending on what I'm doing after graduation it might get a lot of use. The cheaper the better of course but I could go to $300+ if I felt it was worth it.
I like these (but they're too expensive or unavailable):

Ann D...~$900, which is much more than I'd like to spend.

TOJ. Shame I didn't get one when I could.

Eastpak. Not available in the U.S. AFAIK. I would get a proxy but I'm also concerned that it would be too small.

Henson. Sold out on the one webstore that sells it.
Most of these are pricier examples but it doesn't really need to be all that nice. Something like the Eastpak one would work (but bigger).

How about a messenger bag...a Belstaff 554 large colonial bag. If that is too much Ralph Lauren Rugby has a very very similar bag for under 200. The Belstaff is iconic and almost impossible to find, especially under 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads