• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
leave the experimenting for someone else. we dont want to find poor snakey frozen atop a mountain in stone island shadow project!!

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fyi tilak is da bomb.. acronym bought them after their first season or(im pretty sure) so and use them for their production. tilak was the czech government's before afaik.

http://www.tilak.cz/

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess Arc’teryx Veilance doesn't belong on that list since I've seen them sold at outdoor shops. I'm always a little skeptical when fashion labels tout their garments as somehow technically advanced. I really doubt there would be any significant difference, though I'm still intrigued...
I forget where it is, but look for the tech outerwear threads on here and sufu. the main guy from acronym has stated that veilance is the number one tech brand and has been the main influence on the more fashionable tech brands. I remember reading that the brand had gone through changes in ownership though so ymmv.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

leave the experimenting for someone else. we dont want to find poor snakey frozen atop a mountain in stone island shadow project!!

heh true true

find me in my heat reactive jacket

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I forget where it is, but look for the tech outerwear threads on here and sufu. the main guy from acronym has stated that veilance is the number one tech brand and has been the main influence on the more fashionable tech brands. I remember reading that the brand had gone through changes in ownership though so ymmv. 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/301652/technical-outerwear

yeah, errolson hughes is also canadian :D

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please don't.
When you go above Columbia level tech brand, its just the matter of brand name and the "little attention to details" bs. I found my friend's SI jacket poor in construction (not talking about seam tape Appreciation here) and durability compared to regular North Face stuffs.
As for Canada Goose, I am going to call them today because of their cheap zipper that snapped when I was boxing it. :uhoh:

To be fair, stone island mainline is a fashion brand. Shadow project is likely to be of higher construction level.

I've no first hand experience with shadow project, veilance or acronym but I believe that these 3 are made to the same standards as act'ryx (I never remember how to spell it) which should be good enough since it's an outdoor brand.

Most of the technical considerations, aside from the fabric, are about making the jacket lighter in weight.

I wouldn't hesitate using my Ma.strum jacket on the mountain. Then again, my belief is that none of these extremely high "quality" outdoor gear brands are more than marginally better than the mid-range stuff. As long as you're getting a waterproof-breathable fabric, have enough room for some warm layering underneath, and have plenty of pockets and easy movement, I'd say it'll be fine.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from the sisp stuff ive handled it felt really well made and can pass as veilance. same ykk aqua zips on some pices.
well thought out material. BONDED seems to be their favourite word lol.

anyone order from isaac reina directly? can you order from past seasons? asking because the website still lists prices for previous seasons, up to a certain point.
fuuma? hoping you might know the answer to this random question!!

Last edited:

afc345

Reaction score
Veilance took like seven years or something to develop their first gore-tex jackets, so yeah, I guess they perform for holding out rain. Although I would never go out hiking in for example their field jacket, as it's intended for "urban wear", which means biking around all year etc. Also, the drawstring that is supposed to regulate body heat is in normal outdoors jackets found near the sternum and at waist level, which is not the case for Veilance where it is located only at the sternum to allow movement when biking. Which in case makes the Field Jacket useless for winter use IMO, unless you are using their own insulator.

Suicmez

Reaction score
Most fashion brands just focus on the details... the whole point of Arc'teryx Veilance was to use superior construction and an absence of those frivolous details. The focus was just on muted technical perfection. It only caught on in the internet fashion world because of a) the name (seriously, veilance just fits in with the whole tech/goth ninja hybrid aesthetic), and b) the quality/price point of their jackets was the highest of anything not made by gaudy Moncler; it was simply a whole other level (rightfully so, Veilance stuff is unparalleled in the attention to detail and the quality of fabric).

This is also why most outdoor enthusiasts buy Arc'teryx stuff - compared to the Columbia/TNF/whatever else, Arc'teryx is just on a whole other level with fabric technology and construction. My family and I have always been avid outdoors people, and we've sworn by Arc'teryx stuff for decades (so perhaps I am a bit biased), but my dad's Sidewinder ski jacket from the 90's is still in pristine condition, and all the zippers/seams are basically new.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more like UC doesn't belong on that list than the other way around, Veilance and Acronym (and Shadow to an extent) aren't fahsion brands, Isaora feels like a fashion brand on the other hand. I don't know if Veilance would perform better than other top outdoor brands in the great wild (I wouldn't use Acronym which is clearly designed for other purposes), but that's not really the point of the brand, that's not really the appeal.

teenagelightning

Reaction score

didn't marginal release a pair of gets like that? or am i making this up?

IIRC primordial primadonna Socal2Nyc bought those and no one was particularly nice to him about them, but this was back when everyone's grail was a Wings + Horns hoodie to go with their brand new APCs they bought for $115 from some guy named Mario at the Denim Bar

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

anyone order from isaac reina directly? can you order from past seasons? asking because the website still lists prices for previous seasons, up to a certain point.
fuuma? hoping you might know the answer to this random question!!

Just email them already, I have never bought anything from them (cool stuff though).

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most fashion brands just focus on the details... the whole point of Arc'teryx Veilance was to use superior construction and an absence of those frivolous details. The focus was just on muted technical perfection. It only caught on in the internet fashion world because of a) the name (seriously, veilance just fits in with the whole tech/goth ninja hybrid aesthetic), and b) the quality/price point of their jackets was the highest of anything not made by gaudy Moncler; it was simply a whole other level (rightfully so, Veilance stuff is unparalleled in the attention to detail and the quality of fabric).
This is also why most outdoor enthusiasts buy Arc'teryx stuff - compared to the Columbia/TNF/whatever else, Arc'teryx is just on a whole other level with fabric technology and construction. My family and I have always been avid outdoors people, and we've sworn by Arc'teryx stuff for decades (so perhaps I am a bit biased), but my dad's Sidewinder ski jacket from the 90's is still in pristine condition, and all the zippers/seams are basically new.

Is using 2 layers of gore-tex developed fabrics really that much of a technological leap?

I've never handled veilance but I can't really see what's so great about their fabric. It seems to me like it's the same as any other gore jacket.

The construction and machining that goes into it might be excellent. Still I have to think that all these innovations (microseams etc) do is very slightly reduce the weight of the jacket. Might be useful at the top end perhaps.

e.g. waterproof zips are unnecessary if you just add a placket to the design.

Those details are nice to have though and I guess contribute to the nature of the garment from a stylistic sense.

I wish there was more actual fabric innovation as it seems that everyone is still stuck with gore-tex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads