1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I'm not convinced there is any compelling copy that can be written about clothing unless it has some very interesting construction method or story. Otherwise, everything from styling to construction details is better communicated through photography. Too many online clothing stores subscribe to the J Peterman philosophy of copywriting, sadly.

2. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Did I miss the bitching and complaining about Yoox taxes or am I late?

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

This is a jacket, it looks fucking ace cause it's well designed and well made. Please pair with other cool clothes (like those we sell) or you'll look like a dork with a nice jacket and we wouldn't want that, would we?

13 people like this.
  4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

they only charge tax if you order something that's in my dreambox, at which point they also charge duties and a 10% convenience fee.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  5. Bam!ChairDance

i'm actually interested in seeing some of the copy your agency puts out. any links handy?

6. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

This is largely true: there is nothing you can say about a cotton t-shirt that will really help anyone want to buy it more*. But, good writing, even about things that are mostly straightforward, makes a difference--stats show that clothes with copy sell better than those w/out. And if there is interesting material or construction, as you say, there can be a very big difference in the way it's presented and made relevant or interesting. Pretty much any tech fabric or shoe material is meaningless unless a good story about it is presented.

*Unless you make the story not about the shirt itself anymore, eg. Everlane. They have found a way to turn saying "Our shirts are exactly like every other mall brand." into a point of differentiation...by adding "but we charge less because of our business model." to the phrase.

7. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Sorry for double post. Missed this.

We don't do much specifically w/ fashion right now--mostly sport and outdoor--though we do a lot of the adidas Y3 stuff/, which honestly is closer to Yoox than J. Peterman: simple and detail oriented w/out a lot of embellishment.

We do a lot with adidas: eg. This sort of thing. This is not very exciting, but I would submit that when this type of thing is done wrong, it's much, much worse.

I like all this stuff we wrote for the recent (this past spring) launch of the Giro New Road apparel collection.

Product copy is like production work: volume work that serves an important role for the business model, but isn't super exciting. And realistically, the target audience for brands like Nike and Adidas is mostly teenagers, so they aren't interested in more literate, playful, etc styled copy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

So, the stuff you do seems to be straightforward, and it by and large, okay, though I really dislike phrases like "attitude of exploration", though I've competed in enough adventure races to know that that stuff appeals to that audience. Also, both my helmets are Giro, so maybe your copy worked on my after all.

Y-3 is Yoox powered, so I suppose that it's not surprising that it is more Yoox like and spare. However, just to pull a random example, I would edit this:

and replace "for a cutting edge sporty jacket" with something more descriptive or educational - it's Yamamoto's interpretation of a classic warmup hooded jacket - so why not say that? I'd also take out perfect look and fit, since the words "optional" and "adjustable" already imply that you can adjust the fit, and "perfect look" is just fluff. It's those meaningless little throwaway phrases that I find annoying. It would be nice if copywriters gave us a little more about the actual design. No, it's not easy. I get people sending me writing samples regularly, and it's pretty obvious, once I talk to them, that the writing is crap because they don't know anything about menswear, and therefore, don't have anything to say about it. If I was forced to write about, cars, or racquetball, I'd be the same. No one is should hire me to write car reviews.

9. Bam!ChairDance

I'd like to see Mr. Porter write car descriptions

"The 2013 Pontiac Aztec is a classic garage essential that will take you from your home to the office and back again. Unless it's running out of gas. Then it will take you to the nearest Exxon. In style."

7 people like this.
  10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Why, thank you. I debated putting that in, but in the end, I decided that it would appeal to my target demographic.

11. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

A Hanes, Fruit of the loom, or Gildan t can be gotten for under $3. A plain Gap t is $20. Banana - $32. Polo Pima cotton is $65. Granted, the mall-brand tees are pushed as being soft-washed, or whatever, and the Polo is pima cotton (!) but the t itself is not really pushed hard. There's no story behind it, unlike Everlane or AA. I'd assume people are paying these prices, as not every custy in the world is willing to wait until November to buy a t.

Quite obviously, some form of marketing enables retailers to charge what they do. The job is already done by the time the copy is written.

12. jet

jet Senior member

if i ever wrote shit it would be somewhat similar to this

13. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

And a Rick double-layered tee is $425 retail this season. This is why a brand is such a worthwhile commodity.

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

(I'd never buy it) My GF gave me a copy of GQ that she found left on the plane for shits and giggles and I just started flipping. It's been a while since I looked at one of these, but holy shit, the first 68, that's 68! goddamn pages were all ads. I mean WTF, I literally can't find any content in this magazine. I'm halfway though and have seen one page of advertisements poorly disguised as an article about 'versatile items' / must have seasonal items. Did men turn into women at one point? did I miss something? (nobody make Brad jokes here). Where's the beef?

15. jet

jet Senior member

Their favorite word is punch, punch up your outfit your room your bed. I wanna punch myself after reading that garbage.

I blame gq for morons going out in public wearing ties everywhere. I now regularly see clowns wearing bow ties all the time.

16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

eat shit

28 people like this.
  17. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Dude, the ads are the content.

18. superego

superego Senior member

don't forget the tie bars. and pocket squares. gq loves the fucking pocket squares. punch.

19. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

Step up yo bracelet game

20. jet

jet Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.