• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl smooth

Reaction score
can anyone ID this piece?

Photo-132.png

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you guys seen Barney's newly resurected BASCO in house line.

JunyaYamamoto

Reaction score
Well the great thing is that Uniqlo has finally opened up in the Bay Area and I have heard good things about their socks and briefs. Will save me some money on shipping + fees via Suddenlee, RIP
uniqlos socks are pretty affordable and come in a dizzying array of colors. their no-show socks are quite good, too, and they have no slip material in the heel section.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random Food Thoughts: http://cooksuck.com/

Literally was rolling around on my bed laughing, this guy is the angriest person who ever lived. Someone direct me towards more blogs/tumblrs this irate

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Waters, 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards speech

John Waters said:
REI KAWAKUBO is the Saint Teresa of fashion. I always imagined her locked in a self-imposed, deconstructed cell, like, massacring hemlines for her next season’s “no-dimensional” outfits that will be mocked, brilliantly reviewed, and worn by the brave.

I wear Comme des Garçons the same way Andy Warhol once wore $100,000 women’s necklaces underneath his Brooks Brothers turtlenecks — to be fashionable in secret. Only you know you spent money when you wear Rei’s creations. In fact, some of the more fashion-impaired public actually feels sorry for us! “That’s a shame about that coat,” an uninformed friend said to me once in a bar in Baltimore when I was wearing, well high fashion. “John Waters in his thrift-shop finest,” the press has written when, in fact, I was featuring a brand-new Comme des Garçons suit! Rei Kawakubo gives us undercover glamour. We know how great her clothes look, but others just think we’re poor.

Her look? Disaster at the dry cleaner. “I didn’t do it!” is the usual cry. Mine has learned to read the complicated and sometimes hilarious instruction labels with courage: “Do not dry clean; do not wash; garment may fray, fade, change shape.” These pants? One hundred percent polyester, wrinkled unable to be pressed. So comfortable, so unnatural, and so expensive. “Friction may cause the flocks to rub off or a slight fuzz may develop,” one label reads. Friction? What’s that mean? Walking?

Rei Kawakubo’s work is never funny, but her wit is so ferocious, so elegant, so scary, and sometimes even so ridiculous that her customers never have buyer’s remorse. How could they feel they had overspent when they look so courageous, so cult-like, superior, and even slightly insane every time they get dressed in one of her outfits? Rei’s look can never go out of style because she is either starting a new one or ruining a trend that’s not even popular yet but is about to be so. In her own words, Rei commented: “I think the world and its values are often lukewarm. I’d like to keep on trying to make it hotter.” Well, she certainly has. Beyond “hotter,” if you ask me, into spontaneous combustion! She makes pretty ugly, ugly handsome, and handsome disorienting. Rei Kawakubo is my leader. She is for many of us too.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

John Waters, 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards speech

John Waters said:
I wear Comme des Garçons the same way Andy Warhol once wore $100,000 women’s necklaces underneath his Brooks Brothers turtlenecks — to be fashionable in secret. Only you know you spent money when you wear Rei’s creations. In fact, some of the more fashion-impaired public actually feels sorry for us! “That’s a shame about that coat,” an uninformed friend said to me once in a bar in Baltimore when I was wearing, well high fashion. “John Waters in his thrift-shop finest,” the press has written when, in fact, I was featuring a brand-new Comme des Garçons suit! Rei Kawakubo gives us undercover glamour. We know how great her clothes look, but others just think we’re poor.

Her look? Disaster at the dry cleaner. “I didn’t do it!” is the usual cry. Mine has learned to read the complicated and sometimes hilarious instruction labels with courage: “Do not dry clean; do not wash; garment may fray, fade, change shape.” These pants? One hundred percent polyester, wrinkled unable to be pressed. So comfortable, so unnatural, and so expensive. “Friction may cause the flocks to rub off or a slight fuzz may develop,” one label reads. Friction? What’s that mean? Walking?

I'm not a specific fan of Rei or CdG at all, but regardless of who he is talking about these are the words of a total up-his-own-ass fashion hag. Essentially he says "I like something that's not at all popular, nobody else understands me, you all think it's awful but I know the truth because I'm part of an elite club with money to waste on frivolous crap! Tee hee hee!" I bet he looks terrible in the clothes he is writing about.

NELO7.jpg

Cue asinine parade of "but that is the sickest jacket, yo"

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a specific fan of Rei or CdG at all, but regardless of who he is talking about these are the words of a total up-his-own-ass fashion hag. Essentially he says "I like something that's not at all popular, nobody else understands me, you all think it's awful but I know the truth because I'm part of an elite club with money to waste on frivolous crap! Tee hee hee!" I bet he looks terrible in the clothes he is writing about.

Random and true fact, I met John Waters a while back and we had a conversation about the CdG outfit he was wearing- a double breasted (iirc) navy blue suit and orange sneakers (certain about that part). It was a great look. He was excited to talk about it and liked that someone had shown interest. (0)

He is a nice guy and in that quote he is just having a bit of fun. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we need a styleforum affiliate that specializes in laces (0)
laces for:
boots (work, fashunz)
sneakers(margiela,cp,rick)
shoes (alden to j.lobb or whatever the mc crowd is wearing these days :p)

edit: sorry ASAP, i rock my margielas with laces :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads