1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcwalter07

tcwalter07 Senior member

The store doesn't have the entire selection that the website does. For anything not in the store, they have a warehouse from which they bring in requested pieces once a day(if I recall correctly). The time I visited was at around 10:00 in the morning, and when I asked if they had a pair of pants I wanted to try on, the SA told me they didn't have it in at the store, but they could request them for that days shipment and have it in within a couple hours. I said no because I was on vacation and didn't have too much of a flexible schedule, but the service was impressive.

1 person likes this.
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

moar. i want more knowledge.

3 people like this.
  3. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Trust me I've gotten into many conversations over this. Here is my simple opinion on it

From quotes that I have read from Margiela, he references "we" a lot, never me. In my opinion Margiela did not want Maison Margiela to be about him, this to me makes the "I'm a ghost" thing he did understandable, I think there has always been a "design team". I am sure he cringes at a cologne being made and the commercialization of his name, but I am just glad MMM is still very much alive and making great collections like SS14. In my opinion the products have been just as creative and are just as good (you just have to find them)

As far as I know, this is the team

[​IMG]

4. Synthese

Whenever I go on youtube it just immediately suggests japanese videos of people eating live squid or butchering tuna juxtaposed with weird early-00's music videos, like Sum 41 or Evanescence.

3 people like this.
  5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Youtube remembers what you like and recommend you something they know you will like ;)

I work in design, so I just say design, which is pretty much correct as I like architecture, furniture, clothing etc. etc.

6. Synthese

i can't recall that I ever loved Sum 41, Evanescence, or vivisection.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Of course you do, you just wont admit it, you know google is never wrong. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. bows1

bows1 Senior member

We were all 12 once.

3 people like this.
  9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

me too

+1.. this is very interesting

10. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

my immortal playing during the friends series finale made me tear up ya'll

Great post, wish you remembered more,

Re: dweebs

I dunno if anyone else fell into the horrible goth/bad punk/metal stuff in middle school and high school, but to me it's almost an exact reflection of what you said. The clothing wasn't "fashunz" back then of course, but it was still all about trying to portray a certain image. I know at least for me and a lot of the kids I knew, we weren't exactly popular and being picked on/insulted wasn't out of the norm. But when you wore those dorky big ass black pants with black straps and studded wristbands and eyeliner or whatever, kids didn't really bother you as much and pretty much avoided you. And like you said, it was very much a mixture of being frightening and frail, mixing "hardcore badass" stuff with things that were more feminine like nail polish, make up, skin tight jeans. Less frail in the medical sense, but frail imagery nonetheless for males.

I was never way too into dressing like that, but I hung out with a lot of people who did. I guess that's why I like Undercover so much... to me it's really kind of an earnest look, you know? Like the stuff he does looks goofy but really cool at the same time, easy to wear and lends lends itself to not be taken so seriously. It's like streetwear at its finest— lookin both like a dweeb and a cool bro at the same time. It's fun.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  11. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Have you seen pics of Sum 41's lead singer lately? Google it. Seriously.

Edit- re: blackbird. Not surprised.

13. robin

robin Senior member

Eh, the store's been going through a slow death over the past couple of years but at least they've found new focus and success in making their own goods.

14. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

this is completely absurd. "isn't as creative" means the product isn't as good? Sounds like someone has probably not even seen any Margiela, old or new in person...

why is Margiela still relevant? It is a very successful brand. one specific reason i'd point to is that the stuff looks and feels luxurious, but on the whole is pretty basic with nice subtle design elements. for instance a lot of the ss13 stuff is different plays on stripes, online it looks like nothing, when you see it in person you realize the stripes are distorted or partly faded and there is a lovely interplay between the fabric and the pattern, the textures and the colors... in general, but particularly with margiela, if your experience with a brand is limited to browsing lookbooks and yoox i'd suggest trying to find it in person, and I don't just mean a few sweaters, find a store with a good solid buy that has some depth and try some of the stuff on. you have to touch it, you have to feel it move and you'll really know when you feel it on your body. Rappers name dropping it sounds silly but that's actually a pretty solid indicator that a lot of people continue to be interested.

2 people like this.
  15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Good riddance.

1 person likes this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

You're reading out of context. The quality not as good part was referring to brad t's argument. I just lumped creativity and quality together to make a point. I don't mean things like construction and materials have declined (although drew seems to think so). I've seen lots of margiela in person old and new worn and unworn

17. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Not surprised by BB's closing either, may be for the better since they did make a few great things...Their prices/stocklists were just sort of out of touch

18. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Pretty sure neither your nor most people on the forum who bring up this ridiculous "Margiela-is-gone-now-the-label-should-die" argument can actually differentiate between old Margiela and new Margiela.

also whatever drew says about the quality of his jacket versus the current models may or may not be true I don't know, but in general the stuff is very well made from very good fabrics, so I don't know what people are complaining about none of you fuckers are going to wear the belt jacket.

1 person likes this.
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Because you can right?

I've never said the label should die. I was wondering why people care about margiela when creativity, IMO, has declined. It's good stuff but it seems so repetitive and derivative.

Why are you so riled up over an argument I've never made?

20. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.