Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

when i saw you were gunna see them i wondered if they were gunna suck - last time i saw them they, too, irritated me

2. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Is anyone else wondering why this broad fainted? I'd like to know if you know the answer.

Yesterday I bought a Club Monaco White OCBD (FW 2011), and I'm surprised at how slim the shirt fits. It's almost like BoO slim, and can be worn tucked and untucked.

3. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

new modeselektor with thom yorke is fucking dope

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Yo, regarding Tim Coppens.

Dude worked at RLX (which had looked better and better in recent years), Adidas, and Bogner (top drawer ski-wear), so he has a functional-but-not-like-archivally-waxed-cotton-functional bent to his designs. He's a skate/snowboard guy himself. He's from Belgium, and is a Royal Academy grad, so maybe he'll run into Dries and Van Beirendock at a reunion sometime. The stuff Fok and I saw in NY this summer was mostly muted in color, with tech-y fabric treatments and athletic cuts. Plenty of room to move in his stuff. Pieces that stood out to me were a long, gauzy, but not quite kaftan shirt, architecturally designed outerwear--lots of important-looking seams, colorblocked shirts, and a head-turner of a varsity-ish jacket with a body cut from Persian rug, leather sleeves, and neoprene trim. One false note for me was a jersey shirt with a print that mimicked the rug. The collection is currently available only at Barneys.

Hope to have more on Coppens sometime soon, but for now you'll have to settle for what I had in my rushed notes and pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Yeah, they only played a couple of songs, and for most of them they had the Sun Ra Orchestra with them. I don't have anything against the Sun Ra Orchestra, but they weren't really adding anything to the songs, and none of the songs they played had actual horn parts; the guys were just messing around and adding in bits here and there. They didn't even play any of their songs that actually have horn parts (e.g., "Mr. Tough", which is a great song). It was more like a novelty act than anything else, like they've all put in enough work over the years and they can just rest on their laurels and fuck around onstage instead of trying to put on good shows. On top of that, they ended two of the songs they played (one of which was "Little Honda", which is a Beach Boys cover) with one of those stupid noise/feedback meltdowns that involved way too many obnoxious trumpet noises for my taste.

/disappointed fan rant

6. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Holy shit that varsity. Do you remember if it was a one-off? Either way I'm heading to Barney's after work today.

7. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

lmao why did I make a tumbledr? maybe in a few years I'll have some things actually worth posting

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Hah. Totally agree. I bought Boxer when it first came out and actually listened to it a handful of times. With each listen I liked it less. Now I can't stand it. I was listening to Yuck and The XX a bunch not long ago and then had some kind of reaction that makes me want to listen to nothing but old rock, specifically Led Zeppelin. Definitely not a phase I've been through before, but now I'm getting off on Bonham's drumming and Robert Plant's pseudo-Lord of the Rings crazy talk. I guess I'm officially old.

9. pickpackpockpuck

double post

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  10. pickpackpockpuck

triple post...f-in' SF is all screwy for me right now

11. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I agree with Yuck but the XX is infallible

12. pickpackpockpuck

XX is probably my favorite band working today. But I definitely overdid it. Waiting for some new stuff.

13. notwithit

Maybe I missed something when I listened to their album, but it didn't seem all that great to me; just a bunch of electronic-tinged pop songs with a bunch of boy/girl back-and-forth (which I usually dislike). I like "VCR", but only as sugar-pop candy.

edit: In all fairness, it's been a long-ass time since I last gave it a listen.

14. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

mmm...what kind of tie would be appropiate to wear with jeans, and an OCBD?

15. notwithit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.