• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

GooseG

Reaction score

Cognac bison in the wild! Sorry, not a cuffer :)

I took some pics earlier with a good camera. Soon as I process in Lightroom I'll share them. Long story short, there is very little red in this shade and it's about a shade between natural and brown CXL.

GooseG

Reaction score
So about what you were looking for then, right? Looks sharp there. Will enjoy seeing the detailed photos.

Yes, pretty much right on the money. Just a few observations for everyone's info:

• The Raptor sole is a little softer than your standard Christy wedge (a la Red Wings). I found it to be pretty comfortable right out of the box.
  • The fit on the Clymer boot is pretty similar to the Ranger Moc..maybe slightly more generous. My boot is lined vs. my unlined Ranger Mocs, so that's my basis. Also a boot pattern is usually more generous in the instep. Fit is perfect with medium weight socks.
  • The Cognac bison looks to have a finer "grain" than some of the Tucson bison product photos I've seen. It's a lot more understated but still unique. As for pull up, my boot is lined but I do see some pull-up. The lining makes it hard to judge stretching but the unlined pull loop on my boots is nice and stretchy.

In all, like my other Rancourts it excelled in the comfort department. Only a little bit more breaking in is needed.

Sandwich

Reaction score
My first pair of shells was a pair of Blake boots that I got last January during a really awful winter in NYC. I wore them into some pretty bad weather and over some gnarly sidewalk snow banks that had turned to ice and slush. I've scuffed them scratched them and with some care and product they still look great. They've aged nicely so far and I still wear them with my nicest trousers as well as jeans.
Would love to see a pic. I have a few pairs of shell but generally avoid taking them out in the rain because of the welting. I know I can brush them off with some elbow grease but why bother when I can reach for a pair of scotch grain.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kudu suede wingtip boot. It's like someone grabbed four words from a bag of most commonly used shoe words on Styleforum. Next will be a blue shell handsewn-apron chukka and a antique cxl storm-welt double monk. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a pretty awesome boot.

loxo

Reaction score
Would love to see a pic. I have a few pairs of shell but generally avoid taking them out in the rain because of the welting. I know I can brush them off with some elbow grease but why bother when I can reach for a pair of scotch grain.

Took a few photos this morning. I cleaned them a couple of weeks ago and brushed them off this morning.

In the first 2 months of wearing I stumbled down one of the ice/snow/slushy frozen pungy traps that happen in NYC when its been snowing then melting then snowing again for a couple of weeks. I got 2 fairly large cuts into the toe of the left boot. This is what they look like today after about 9 months of wear and care. They have added a bit of character and started to blend in to the overall wear/patina of the boot.

I wouldn't wear these boots with a suit per se, but I do wear them with flannel trousers or jeans. The color developing on them is great and has gotten better over time.

Edit: FWIW, I've never seen the welting people talk about on either of my 2 pairs of shell cordovan. I don't know if that is luck of the draw or the finish on the shell, or maybe even the type of rain... I've just not seen it.

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think the Blake boot has so much more potential without the pull loop? I find myself constantly cursing the ones on my pair.

I don't know how old your boots are, but Katie told me the newer ones have a redesigned pull loop. For my part, mine don't bother me.

Could a cobbler take your loops off?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Those are amazeballs. Do I really need a fifth pair of Blake boots? Maybe . . .

Maybe you'd be interested in a pair in Espresso Shell Cordovan, if you don't already have one?

Edit: NVM, I see that you already do.

Yep. I'm assuming based on the photos that loxo's are Color 8. I've been thinking about getting some more Blake wingtips. I don't yet have any Rancourt king shell, so that makeup is now at the top of my list.

GooseG

Reaction score
I don't know how old your boots are, but Katie told me the newer ones have a redesigned pull loop. For my part, mine don't bother me.

Could a cobbler take your loops off?

Mine look like loxo's. It does look like you could remove them without compromising the backstay..that area is already reinforced. I just think a whole strap/loop like that is unneccesary on a boot with that shaft height. I'm fine with my Clymers' pull tab though, which seems to fit the aesthetic.

The only boots I have genuine trouble getting on all the time are my Vibergs. Those things are just a ***** sometimes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads