• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank, (and others) are your beef rolls shell? did you go true to size with them?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Frank, (and others) are your beef rolls shell? did you go true to size with them?

Mine are shell. I think they are pretty tts, but the last is not a high volume one. I'm an 11 in general and on the wide end of D (call it D/E). My beefrolls are 11E, which turned out to be a little wide. I put a tongue pad in and they work for me. I have a pair of the suede chukka mocs in 11D and they have broken in to fit nicely, but only with thinner socks. I'm actually going to give 11.5B a try to see how that fits. Just put in an order for CXL pinch pennies, so if they don't work and any of you are an 11.5B, then keep an eye on B&S.:).

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people who were wondering what options are available (other than what's on the site) I've had some back and forth with Kyle and wanted to pass along what he told me.

Shell Cordovan:
black, color 8, tan, can make navy or dark
green for you for an additional $25

Chromexcel:
brown, black, color 8, natural, dark olive, navy

Cavalier Chromexcel (described as having a "brighter finish so you get brighter colors"):
wheat (light brown) and forest green

Now the hard part is figuring out what to order.
today I'm feeling Navy Cxl beef roll on honey Reltex Lactae Hevea soles...

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Now the hard part is figuring out what to order.

That sounds like a combo I'd be interested in. So if it's not on the website, do you email Kyle to order it?

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sounds like a combo I'd be interested in. So if it's not on the website, do you email Kyle to order it?

You can open an email inquiry on the site (which Kyle will likely respond to) or just call them as others have suggested

I also learned that they carry suede in "just about every color imaginable"

I am simultaneously thrilled and horrified of what this means for me.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

that sounds like an interesting combo

Many thanks for the info on what Kyle has on hand!!

And that does sound like a great combination. The navy seems to go really well with the honey RLH soles (we definitely need an abbreviation, writing [more accurately, spelling], Reltex Lactae Hevea drives me crazy).

Last edited:

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're very welcome. I was stoked when I learned of all the options, figured I'd pass it along.

It's pretty amazing that there's company that does custom make-ups (without ridiculous wait times) here in the USA.

when I first saw the #8 cordo penny's with the RLH sole (there you go) I thought it was stunning, but the more I thought about it I feel like such a casual sole would lend itself better to a casual leather, like CXL and now, suede....

I just hope the RLH doesn't quickly discolor and look like dogsh!t the way some crepe soles do

Many thanks for the info on what Kyle has on hand!!
And that does sound like a great combination. The navy seems to go really well with the honey RLH soles (we definitely need an abbreviation, writing [more accurately, spelling], Reltex Lactae Hevea drives me crazy).

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This pic of the navy shell boots was posted on the Rancourt Facebook page, and I thought I would share it here. The photo is a bit tough to see, but these look great.

Flipping through the earlier pages of this thread and seeing the above, I went out to have a look at the Rancourt Twitter feed, specifically the photos. I wonder what it will take to bring these chukkas from prototype and into production.

And I too appreciate the MTO offerings from Rancourt. Many of the makeups on the site are great as is, but the idea of being able to pick your materials, sole, and details, and have it turned out in a couple of weeks is a really great way to end up with unique shoes.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Totally agree that the RLH (catching on like wildfire) sole will look much better on a more casual leather.

Are you thinking suede? Any idea what suede options are available?

There is a Ranger Moc in "Horween Khaki Calico Suede" on their site:

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/ranger-moc/4-eyelet-ranger-moc-khaki-suede.html

From what I can see from the description of this leather/suede over at Epaulet..... (for a pair of shoes perhaps made by Rancourt?):

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1125/Somerset-Ranger-Moc-Peanut/Detail

ROUGH-OUT LEATHER:
Simply put, “rough-out” is the reverse side of any full-grain leather. It has been neither sanded nor split, but merely been sewn “inside-out,” so maintains all the durability of smooth leather.This is the primary difference between it and suede, which is oftentimes a “split-hide.” Since one hide which has been split essentially produces double the yield, suede is more readily available and less expensive than its more robust counterpart. Rough-out doesn’t quite have the same soft texture, or velvet-like surface, but it is far stronger. The nappy finish is achieved by abrading the surface of the leather, but not compromising the integrity of the material. The wooly surface makes the leather remarkably stain and abrasion resistant, which is one of the reasons why it's a leather of choice for cowboy boots and leather saddles.

...the "calico suede" is essentially what many others call "rough-out leather", correct?

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Flipping through the earlier pages of this thread and seeing the above, I went out to have a look at the Rancourt Twitter feed, specifically the photos. I wonder what it will take to bring these chukkas from prototype and into production.

And I too appreciate the MTO offerings from Rancourt. Many of the makeups on the site are great as is, but the idea of being able to pick your materials, sole, and details, and have it turned out in a couple of weeks is a really great way to end up with unique shoes.

What are those? Plain toe boots in (snuff?) suede? Those look great.

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9efeceb0268411e19896123138142014_7.jpg

anyone have these? and have pics wearing them?

cant tell if i love or hate the stitching around the toe. loved the navy shell chukkas but not sure i like these

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads