1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Yeah, I've looked at lots of pictures of Rancourts and other brands in #8 and I can't quite figure out what to expect. I think I just don't really care...

Went ahead and ordered a pair of ranger mocs today: #8 CXL, honey RLH soles, chestnut rawhide laces, baseball stitching. Kyle seemed confident that the right size for me would be 9D, so that's what I ordered. I'm excited.

2. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

on another thought, it might look pretty good if they can turn its beef roll loafer into full strap (like the Marlow) or half strap (like the LHS). thoughts? I know Kyle posted a penny loafer with half strap, or pinch penny as they called it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

sounds like another interesting combo, pics when you got them please!

4. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

I definitely will. I don't think I have seen any pictures of Rancourts with baseball stitching yet, but I like how it looks on Quoddy oxfords that people have posted on here so I figured I'd give it a shot.

5. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

ya I thought about baseball stitching on mine but wanted a little more business casual so went with the regular stitching. but if that turns out nice I might do a MTO boat shoes with baseball stitching when my sebage is worn out.

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I don't think they'd be insulted. For one, you're giving them your business. Also, the styles they make are tried and true styles that have been around forever. (Rancourt didn't invent the penny loafer, and neither did C&J, or Alden for that matter)

I'm in a similar boat as you in regards to sending them photos or a sketch of what i have in mind.
    at this point I know I want a shell loafer and I'm split between the unlined Alden LHS (provided i'm able to get it marked down during the Brooks sale this week which puts it in the same price range as rancourt) and a rancourt pinch or beef roll.
    As much as I like the rancourt beef roll, there's something about the aesthetic of the LHS that just does it for me. Then again, I really like the leather colors that Rancourt has as well as the natural edged sole.

7. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

These are smoking.

[​IMG]

(posted to Rancourt FB site).

Ok, trying to decide which loafer to get, and that picture, and the above discussion of the many and multiple options, are not helping!

What non-shell leather do you think would be closest to the tan shell?

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

this, plainsman brown cxl
    but tan shell is 10000000000x better imo....:embar:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

@TV2177

You can't do that to me!

How could I ever purchase the plainsman after seeing those photos side-by-side?

Maybe I'll have to go with color #8, then I can avoid "shell-ing out" and still be happy.

10. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  11. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

^ wow that's a lot of styles to choose from. good post!

the thing I don't like about their pinch penny is that the strap is halfway thru the side. I like it either full strap or just on the top of the shoe
    [​IMG]

what's a false stitching? I don't understand, do you mind explaining it to me? Thank you.

12. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I think that the side handstitch is a nice detail for an handsewn shoes, however I think that you could ask also for a standard machine stiched strap.
    This full strap is really nice http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/dress/weltline-penny-loafers-dark-brown-mimosa-calf.html
    In shell or suede would be amazing. (even I would prefer wheeling on the sole and a classic rounded cut out in the strap)

The soles are attached with a blake stitching so the thread that lock the sole is visible inside the shoe not outside.
    The outside visible stitch is only a decorative stitching.
    The Ron Rider Loafer as you can see have a different finish, no stitches but a wheeling like dress shoe.

Although reading the last part of this: http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/authentic-craftsmanship ,
    they made also some shoes with a blake rapid construction so in that case also the outside stitching is a real stitch.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

I had picked up a pair of burgundy/#8 beefroll. after ~5 days in new orleans, this happened to one of the shoes:

[​IMG]

Kyle was real helpful about it, sent me a return label and is getting the stitches fixed.

14. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I am thinking

1. a beef roll penny shaped shoe with a full strap
    2. in either #8 or brown cxl with matching color stitches
    3. leather sole (maybe double sole) with dark brown edges
    4. non-stitching heel
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    to achieve the dressier look. I actually emailed Kyle about this idea and he replied it's no problem.

alexSF:

I think they should be able to do a classic rounded cut out in the strap with no problem. now that you pointed out, I do like the rounded look better too. :embar:

15. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Yes,I know, their mto program is a pleasure, I've emailed Kyle some times ago, but I'm still deciding, my difficult is to choose the correct size and width.

16. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Planning to order a beefroll penny loafer in #8 CXL, but debating which sole to get.

Has anyone seen a pic of a beefroll or other loafer on the double leather sole?

[​IMG]

Any thoughts about pros and cons of this midsole /outsole on the beefroll?

17. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Not a Rancourt loafer (although a style they could likely replicate; Alden LHS) here is forum member Macarthur's whiskey LHS on double leather. Pretty F'n BA

[​IMG]

18. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

@zazaza

Thanks, those do look good. TV2177 also clued me into the fact that RL Marlow loafer are also (sometimes?) on double leather.

Was their a discussion on Mac's LHS. If so, can you give me the link?

19. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I pulled the image from this thread at AAAC
    doesn't seem to be much discussion about them, though.

Marlows are on double leather, but they're also lined. which may be something to consider...

20. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Thanks! Wonder if those were a special order? Is it common for the Alden LHS to be double soled?

I want this for a summer shoe to wear sockless every now and again so I think I will prefer unlined for this one.