• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like i have previously stated, I believe it's the best to call Kyle if you have doubts in sizing. I was confused when I saw the size-down recommendation and I called, problem solved! hope that helps.:)

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

strange though that they say to go down half size from brannock. doesnt that mean its not TTS? or am i just confused?
cuz im a 9 brannock and take 8.5 barrie which means i should go 8.5 rancourt no?
plus since i plan on wearing these sockless, dont they stretch?
probably overthinking this but this is SF so you know :)

FWIW, Kyle at Rancourt told me I should stick with the same size as my Alden LHS on the Van last which are a 8.5D. Hope this helps.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Considering picking up the Ranger Moc in Khaki Suede:

Any thoughts on this shoe? And more specifically on the Lactae Hevea rubber soles? I would really like to have the plantation crepe soles that Alden uses, and this sole seems to somewhat approximate that aesthetically, if not materially. I would like a mildly firm sole, and nothing too flexy or flimsy.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Perhaps the Vibram cristy wedge sole would be the better option for a slightly stiffer sole:

RingTail

Reaction score
I want to get the pinch penny loafer but in a color similar to Allen Edmond Walnut/Chili , Kyle suggested sticking to Chromexcel as it's softer and more appropriate for that shoe. One other option he offered me was this wheat cavalier cxl color, any one have experience with something more of a red/orange tone to it like cognac/tan?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to get the pinch penny loafer but in a color similar to Allen Edmond Walnut/Chili , Kyle suggested sticking to Chromexcel as it's softer and more appropriate for that shoe. One other option he offered me was this wheat cavalier cxl color, any one have experience with something more of a red/orange tone to it like cognac/tan?

Interesting. This looks like the CXL that Alden sells as "natural". I've seen very red or very orange CXL in the past. They are very bright, but I'm sure there is alot of lot-to-lot variation.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Is that the Plainsman Brown CXL, as offered on a Beefroll penny loafer in their shop, as well as these ranger mocs at Standard Goods?

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
Is that the Plainsman Brown CXL, as offered on a Beefroll penny loafer in their shop, as well as these ranger mocs at Standard Goods?

Those ranger mocs look lighter to me, this sample is actually 'Wheat Cavalier CXL'

Interesting. This looks like the CXL that Alden sells as "natural". I've seen very red or very orange CXL in the past. They are very bright, but I'm sure there is alot of lot-to-lot variation.

I'm looking for more of a burned orange not quite bright, a lot of other companies call it 'cognac'

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wheat Cavalier Tricker's for color comparison.
tfb46.jpg

RingTail

Reaction score

This looks very nice, but the color looks different to the patch a little darker, does Trickers use Horween?

I found another link for it, color does look quite nice
www.fransboonestore.com/en/trickers-x-fransboone-wheat-cavalier-brogue-boots.html

Another color that I found and really like is whiskey cavalier, quoddy has it , waiting to hear from Kyle and see if they have any other options.

It would have been nice if Horween listed all it's colors on it's website. The blog entry doesn't mention them either.

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
This pic of the navy shell boots was posted on the Rancourt Facebook page, and I thought I would share it here. The photo is a bit tough to see, but these look great.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This looks very nice, but the color looks different to the patch a little darker, does Trickers use Horween?

I found another link for it, color does look quite nice
http://www.fransboonestore.com/en/trickers-x-fransboone-wheat-cavalier-brogue-boots.html

Another color that I found and really like is whiskey cavalier, quoddy has it , waiting to hear from Kyle and see if they have any other options.

It would have been nice if Horween listed all it's colors on it's website. The blog entry doesn't mention them either.

Yes, but not for everything they make. Their cordovan is from Comipel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads