• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am exceptionally excited to share with you a truly special Made-to-Order that I recently did and now have on hands. I am usually super excited about the end-product that I received. But this pair is about both the destination as well as the journey to get there...

I really wanted to do something different and unique and having a good chat with @BAK I learned of Rancourt's extreme flexibility, that you aren't limited to what is on their site.

Although this model seems fairly straight forward, there was quite a bit of leg work into it, specifically on where to place the famous Horween Shell Cordovan Stamps... The other thing about the Reverse side Black Shell Cordovan, and the reason I picked it, is that it has a lot of character in it and it does develop a patina. It has its famous green-ish hue that varies on the Shell and at what time of the day that the Shell is dyed black at. The later in the day, the more dye is in the water that they dip it in immediately after dying it and the greener the back. So the first part of the puzzle was picking out the Shells themselves...

View attachment 1397235

Then the Shell Placement Dance began... You can see on the above picture the dyes that they cut the Shells with, there was a decent amount of back and forths on that, but we settled on the outside of the shoe and then a special heel logo as well.

View attachment 1397238

View attachment 1397237

View attachment 1397236

View attachment 1397239

It was really cool to see the whole thing unfold, and we had a quick call before they actually cut the Shells to confirm the placements, and it was really neat to see the final in-progress, final check.

View attachment 1397241

View attachment 1397240

The final product came out exquisitely and I am super happy with how they came out. I definitely have a special connection with these guys due to my involvement in their development.

View attachment 1397250

View attachment 1397251

View attachment 1397252

View attachment 1397255

View attachment 1397253

View attachment 1397254

View attachment 1397256

Note that the interior of these Shoes is the normal shiny side of the Shells...

View attachment 1397258

View attachment 1397257

View attachment 1397259

I cannot thank Rancourt enough for the patience and their amazing customer service. This was a pretty amazing project and they were just top notch on it the whole way through!!!

-Mike
Those are really nice, and totally unique. Well done!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am exceptionally excited to share with you a truly special Made-to-Order that I recently did and now have on hands. I am usually super excited about the end-product that I received. But this pair is about both the destination as well as the journey to get there...

I really wanted to do something different and unique and having a good chat with @BAK I learned of Rancourt's extreme flexibility, that you aren't limited to what is on their site.

Although this model seems fairly straight forward, there was quite a bit of leg work into it, specifically on where to place the famous Horween Shell Cordovan Stamps... The other thing about the Reverse side Black Shell Cordovan, and the reason I picked it, is that it has a lot of character in it and it does develop a patina. It has its famous green-ish hue that varies on the Shell and at what time of the day that the Shell is dyed black at. The later in the day, the more dye is in the water that they dip it in immediately after dying it and the greener the back. So the first part of the puzzle was picking out the Shells themselves...

View attachment 1397235

Then the Shell Placement Dance began... You can see on the above picture the dyes that they cut the Shells with, there was a decent amount of back and forths on that, but we settled on the outside of the shoe and then a special heel logo as well.

View attachment 1397238

View attachment 1397237

View attachment 1397236

View attachment 1397239

It was really cool to see the whole thing unfold, and we had a quick call before they actually cut the Shells to confirm the placements, and it was really neat to see the final in-progress, final check.

View attachment 1397241

View attachment 1397240

The final product came out exquisitely and I am super happy with how they came out. I definitely have a special connection with these guys due to my involvement in their development.

View attachment 1397250

View attachment 1397251

View attachment 1397252

View attachment 1397255

View attachment 1397253

View attachment 1397254

View attachment 1397256

View attachment 1397258

View attachment 1397257

View attachment 1397259

I cannot thank Rancourt enough for the patience and their amazing customer service. This was a pretty amazing project and they were just top notch on it the whole way through!!!

-Mike
Wow, super awesome and unique!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

View attachment 1397235

View attachment 1397238

View attachment 1397237

View attachment 1397236

View attachment 1397239

View attachment 1397241

View attachment 1397240

View attachment 1397250

View attachment 1397251

View attachment 1397252

View attachment 1397255

View attachment 1397253

View attachment 1397254

View attachment 1397256

View attachment 1397258

View attachment 1397257

View attachment 1397259

-Mike
Oh man! I've been wanting reverse shell for a while! I've got a watch strap, but a whole shoe is on my dream list. Awesome Rancourt was about to accommodate you so completely

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

BAK

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

View attachment 1397235

View attachment 1397238

View attachment 1397237

View attachment 1397236

View attachment 1397239

View attachment 1397241

View attachment 1397240

View attachment 1397250

View attachment 1397251

View attachment 1397252

View attachment 1397255

View attachment 1397253

View attachment 1397254

View attachment 1397256

View attachment 1397258

View attachment 1397257

View attachment 1397259

-Mike
Congrats on both your new shoes and boots, Mike. Really gorgeous and unique. Just curious, is the interior of the boat shoes (being the shiny side of the shell) slippery at all?

Blue_Bowtie

Reaction score
Snuff suede Byron boots for today. Enjoy your day gentlemen!
7BC70AE6-C93F-443D-829C-D78CDF0DBEA3.jpeg

Pedlar

Reaction score
Looks like u need to go down a width on those shoes.
Loafers are such an unusual fit, aren’t they? I’d never worn them until a couple years ago and the Rancourt cxl beefrolls, bought small and stretching to fit. have been the best sizing I’ve found so far. The problem, at least as I see it now, is that they may continue stretching just through routine wear.

This pair that you think is too wide feels great and locks in my foot. But I would say it is just a bit looser than it was after
break-in period last summer. Another cxl pair, now entering its third summer, is a bit looser still.

In another few years I’ll have a better idea about the fit lifecycle of this makeup for my feet and the sort of wear I give my shoes.

In the meantime, I think a Rancourt loafer in Essex may be the next one to try.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers are such an unusual fit, aren’t they? I’d never worn them until a couple years ago and the Rancourt cxl beefrolls, bought small and stretching to fit. have been the best sizing I’ve found so far. The problem, at least as I see it now, is that they may continue stretching just through routine wear.

This pair that you think is too wide feels great and locks in my foot. But I would say it is just a bit looser than it was after
break-in period last summer. Another cxl pair, now entering its third summer, is a bit looser still.

In another few years I’ll have a better idea about the fit lifecycle of this makeup for my feet and the sort of wear I give my shoes.

In the meantime, I think a Rancourt loafer in Essex may be the next one to try.
My CXL ones have that gap too. How big the gap is may depend on how I am standing. But they don't feel loose. No chance they'd slip off. My Eastports that I've worn probably 5x more may have a slight gap too but not as much. I imagine the two lined pairs I have on order may have less of a gap. If they are indeed better then I might consider getting a custom lined version of my beefrolls someday. Whether I'd go with CXL or another leather that might stretch less I'm not sure. Would have to talk with a Rancourt rep and see what they think.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Who knew that you could request a (3) hole boat shoe as part of the build on a Rancourt?
I was searching on Reddit for some examples of shell boat shoes and discovered a post from 4 years ago.
rydor bought some shell ranger mocs and carmel shell boat shoes (3) hole.

Album

I adore the Carmel shell boat shoes with the mini vibram honey lug soles. My only issue with them is that I find the (2) hole boat shoes too loose on my narrow high instep feet. Last summer I bought a pair of Quoddy boat shoes, my first Quoddy's because they had (3) holes. They are ok, I got the rugged soles but I prefer the Rancourt fit and feel better.

Now that I know I can get (3) hole Reads from Rancourt, my next order will be carmel shell with honey vibram mini lugs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads