• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who knew that you could request a (3) hole boat shoe as part of the build on a Rancourt?
I was searching on Reddit for some examples of shell boat shoes and discovered a post from 4 years ago.
rydor bought some shell ranger mocs and carmel shell boat shoes (3) hole.

Album

I adore the Carmel shell boat shoes with the mini vibram honey lug soles. My only issue with them is that I find the (2) hole boat shoes too loose on my narrow high instep feet. Last summer I bought a pair of Quoddy boat shoes, my first Quoddy's because they had (3) holes. They are ok, I got the rugged soles but I prefer the Rancourt fit and feel better.

Now that I know I can get (3) hole Reads from Rancourt, my next order will be carmel shell with honey vibram mini lugs.
You can do whatever you want though their custom department... Well beyond what they show on the site configurator.
Go get em!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Who knew that you could request a (3) hole boat shoe as part of the build on a Rancourt?
I was searching on Reddit for some examples of shell boat shoes and discovered a post from 4 years ago.

Album

I adore the Carmel shell boat shoes with the mini vibram honey lug soles. My only issue with them is that I find the (2) hole boat shoes too loose on my narrow high instep feet. Last summer I bought a pair of Quoddy boat shoes, my first Quoddy's because they had (3) holes. They are ok, I got the rugged soles but I prefer the Rancourt fit and feel better.

Now that I know I can get (3) hole Reads from Rancourt, my next order will be carmel shell with honey vibram mini lugs.

That is funny because I recently saw some of those and was thinking that I needed a 3-eye Boat Shoe as well! The limit of Rancourt is almost more on your creativity than their capabilities. Have fun!

-Mike

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Album

I must admit that the 3 hole reade is more appealing to me too. Thanks for posting those... had not seen that done before.

CMT1

Reaction score
Mike, you are absolutely killing it and I can't believe how insanely cool your recent specs/acquisitions have been.

A few pics from an upcoming 3-year caramel update:

bg18OuC.jpg

QIdTm2r.jpg

kDidKQC.jpg

Zvu8ntr.jpg

Like Her Royal Highness's matched luggage, I can't live without 'em!
edit
Or maybe it was the Industrial Strength Hair Dryer ®. Either way, same sentiment.

Last edited:

Luscombe

Reaction score
These are on my to order list as soon as I break in the Downeast and Acadia's that are supposed to ship this week. I have some AE boots and wingtips in Shell but nothing as casual as boat shoes. I like the concept though.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the gap on the collar of CXL loafers get any better over time for any lower volume folks? It's very noticeable on my beefrolls but practically nonexistent on my Eastports which aren't CXL. I'm assuming it won't be an issue on the two lined pairs of suede loafers on order.

Oh well. If it bothers me enough maybe I'll get some lined CXL beefrolls in the future or unlined in a leather that doesn't stretch as much like the 'bulldog' my stock Eastports use.

Today’s loafers

B332FBC1-6D50-41F7-9B2A-36F3AF435769.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does the gap on the collar of CXL loafers get any better over time for any lower volume folks? It's very noticeable on my beefrolls but practically nonexistent on my Eastports which aren't CXL. I'm assuming it won't be an issue on the two lined pairs of suede loafers on order.

Oh well. If it bothers me enough maybe I'll get some lined CXL beefrolls in the future or unlined in a leather that doesn't stretch as much like the 'bulldog' my stock Eastports use.

Today’s loafers

View attachment 1402164
Where do you have a gap? They look to be pretty fitting. (I have lower volume feet)

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you have a gap? They look to be pretty fitting. (I have lower volume feet)
These aren't my CXL beefrolls so the picture isn't going to show you a gap. Sorry maybe it's confusing because the picture isn't relevant to the post.

The gap on the CXL beefrolls is on the outer part of the collar. Basically on the part of the collar nearest to the outer beefroll of each shoe.

Here is a relevant picture from 2 days ago.

1829C902-782F-4565-BEAE-DF41EA24539E.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These aren't my CXL beefrolls so the picture isn't going to show you a gap. Sorry maybe it's confusing because the picture isn't relevant to the post.

The gap on the CXL beefrolls is on the outer part of the collar. Basically on the part of the collar nearest to the outer beefroll of each shoe.

Here is a relevant picture from 2 days ago.

View attachment 1402168
Ah, I see it. Interesting that you don't have it on the other pair. When you set the shoes on a flat surface, are the heels flat, or is on the very back touching and the front of the heel slightly raised?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see it. Interesting that you don't have it on the other pair. When you set the shoes on a flat surface, are the heels flat, or is on the very back touching and the front of the heel slightly raised?
I cannot confirm one way or the other on the beefrolls because I am at work. My guess is they are not totally flat. The Eastport heels are not totally flat. Wearing them right now.

I don't have the highest arches so that may be a factor. If I roll my feet outward slightly as if there were an insert with arch support the gap mostly disappears.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe I figured out the reason. On the beefrolls the beefroll itself prevents the collar from drooping and prevents it from better conforming to the shape of my feet. There is very little play possible under the beefroll, and the beefroll part itself is quite rigid. If that makes sense to you. With the regular Eastport penny loafer there is more play room available under the strap in addition to the strap not being as rigid.

I imagine that it will get better in time though perhaps it may never conform as well as a regular penny loafer or weltline variation.

Last edited:

Luscombe

Reaction score

My Downeast and Acadia's were shipped last week and went to my old address. I was able to get them today.
First impressions:

Downeast 105B
RLH soles
Full sock liner
Downeast leather is really thick and supple. Thickness reminds me of Saddleback leather but it is ooooh sooo soft, supple and cushiony. I got these to wear sockless and they feel sublime. The RLH soles are super comfortable. They feel a bit heavier than my other Rangers but that is because of the leather thickness.

I am really impressed with the fit & feel. Can hardly wait to break them in, shouldn't take much time at all.

Acadia 10.5B
Toast Rushmore Bison
Full sock liner
These fit well, maybe a little snug with medium socks but they are not tight. Seem to be comfortable to walk in and the leather is pretty supple. I understand that the Bison will not stretch much so after they are broken in, the fit should be perfect. I like the wedge sole but it is not a comfy as the RLH soles.

I emailed Scott and asked him to quote me a pair of tricked out Reads in shell.

Attachments

• Downeast & Acadia 10.5B.jpg
    Downeast & Acadia 10.5B.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 73

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke the seal on a new pair of Baxter Ranger Mocs in natty CXL.
2BD470E2-AF85-4BD1-8A5D-90675CA376A0.jpeg

These are flawless. I bought them to replace a pair in the same style that I had sized down a bit too aggressively. Looking forward to putting some miles on them now that the good weather is here.

On a related note, PM me if looking for a pair in 10D. Perhaps we can work something out.

Happy summer everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads