• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Luscombe

Reaction score
Luscombe

Re lining

Did you get any ranger mocs lined?
Does the lining add structure to the style shoe?
Does the lining affect what size to order?
I have a couple of pairs with and without lining. The lining adds structure and IMO is more comfortable. I live in the Upper Midwest so I don't get concerned about how they breathe in the heat.

My feet are narrow and the lining helps keep the leather from stretching, especially the CXL leathers. If I get an 11B in Cxl w/o lining, it fits great out of the box but in a short time it becomes almost too sloppy to wear. that was my experience with my very first pair of Rangers. The second pair had lining.

To me, the lining adds structure and comfort. When ever I do a custom order, regardless of style, I get it lined.

I have two rangers in shell, one, my Custom with lining and another a GMTO without lining. I think the lined one fits more snuggly and that is good for my narrow feet.

I'm thinking about a pair of Read Boat shoes in Carmel shell with lining, a (3) hole upper on a LH sole. The shell will patina and the LH sole is the most comfortable sole Rancourt offers. This would be a grail shoe for me.

I have a pair of the rangers on the vibram mini-lug which look nice but the sole is very hard and they are not really comfortable on concrete and pavement.

Just go for it. The journey is worth it. You will learn form each shoe you purchase.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Newbie question here: I’m going to pre-order a pair to wear in the summer with shorts. I’m very much new to wearing slip-ons and shorts.

Is it better to get a lightweight camp sole for flexibility and balance or something a little chunkier like the Vibram sole for grip and arch support?

Garrister

Reaction score
Newbie question here: I’m going to pre-order a pair to wear in the summer with shorts. I’m very much new to wearing slip-ons and shorts.

Is it better to get a lightweight camp sole for flexibility and balance or something a little chunkier like the Vibram sole for grip and arch support?
I wear camp soles on my summer shoes. They are much lighter -- great in hot weather -- and still comfortable. They are great to wear sockless because they have a lower profile. I wear soles that come with a midsole -- like the Vibram wedges, Reltex (Lactae Hevea) etc. -- in fall and winter. They make for a much heavier, more water/weather resistant shoe in their construction. If you want to use the shoe primarily as a walking shoe, I would say the vibram or Reltex (Lactae Hevea) soles are better then the camp sole for that purpose. It's not that the are supportive, they are just more stable and impact absorbing.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear camp soles on my summer shoes. They are much lighter -- great in hot weather -- and still comfortable. They are great to wear sockless because they have a lower profile. I wear soles that come with a midsole -- like the Vibram wedges, Reltex (Lactae Hevea) etc. -- in fall and winter. They make for a much heavier, more water/weather resistant shoe in their construction. If you want to use the shoe primarily as a walking shoe, I would say the vibram or Reltex (Lactae Hevea) soles are better then the camp sole for that purpose. It's not that the are supportive, they are just more stable and impact absorbing.

Thanks. This is helpful. I’ve been wearing chunky boots for so long, I’m new to the whole slipper thing. I guess I will go all-in though, and order the camp moc sole.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did Rancourt change the design of the Gilman camp moc? The back is different now compared to what I remember
Are you talking about the lack of hand sewn kicker on the natural CXL model? It’s been like that for a while, but it’s puzzling. I’ve only ever seen the natural CXL version made that way.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the lack of hand sewn kicker on the natural CXL model? It’s been like that for a while, but it’s puzzling. I’ve only ever seen the natural CXL version made that way.

Ah, yes. Didn't realize it was only the natural that was different. The ranger mocs also do not have it

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to jump on the preorder for some loafers but don't know my sizing. I intend on wearing them without socks.

My brannock is 9.5E heel to toe and 10D/E heel to ball. I have a wide foot that is low volume (wide at the toes, skinny ankles).

What size should I get for CXL beefrolls vs Eastports? Should I size down based on my HTT measurement (so size 9) or my HTB measurement (so size 9.5)? Should I go with width E to compensate for my wide toes or will that cause fit problems for my heels due to my low volume feet?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to jump on the preorder for some loafers but don't know my sizing. I intend on wearing them without socks.

My brannock is 9.5E heel to toe and 10D/E heel to ball. I have a wide foot that is low volume (wide at the toes, skinny ankles).

What size should I get for CXL beefrolls vs Eastports? Should I size down based on my HTT measurement (so size 9) or my HTB measurement (so size 9.5)? Should I go with width E to compensate for my wide toes or will that cause fit problems for my heels due to my low volume feet?

I would probably go with a 9.5E. Bear in mind that the CXL is going to stretch. Given the width of your feet and intention to wear socks, I think sizing down isn't a great idea. You can always add a tongue pad if the instep or heel is a little loose but the shoe will look sloppy if your width stretches out the vamp/ball area.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
I would probably go with a 9.5E. Bear in mind that the CXL is going to stretch. Given the width of your feet and intention to wear socks, I think sizing down isn't a great idea. You can always add a tongue pad if the instep or heel is a little loose but the shoe will look sloppy if your width stretches out the vamp/ball area.
I'm going to go sockless actually, would you still recommend 9.5E or size down to 9.5D or 9E?

Garrister

Reaction score

I would try a 9.5 E first and see if the shoe is long enough for you. The reason is that you want a snug fit (especially for no sock wear) and both shoes will stretch (the CXL Beefrolls more so than the Eastports). Also, the Beefrolls run a little larger -- so sizing down is recommended on those. I think you want to start with a 9.5E first because it will most likely give you a better fit around your heel -- which is paramount for a loafer.

If the shoe is too short (which it might be because the 114 last is a short last) than you should proceed to the 10 D/E depending on the fit of the 9.5Es. If the 9E width was good, you would probably go to a 10D. Just my 2 cents.

DG123

Reaction score

If you have some Allen Edmonds, Alden, Whites, or Nicks brand footwear please post the model's name and size/width you wear for those brand (s).

theofficialhung

Reaction score
If you have some Allen Edmonds, Alden, Whites, or Nicks brand footwear please post the model's name and size/width you wear for those brand (s).

Alden barrie 9D is a bit narrow for me, 9.5D or 9E would be better

Whites 55 - 9E
Whites 4811 - 8.5E with some slight toe rub, 9E would probably be better

Nick's 55 - 8.5E with toe rub, 9E would be better

Standard sizing advice for all Whites/Nick's for me is 0.5 down so I would be 9.5D but I haven't tried that yet.

DG123

Reaction score
Alden barrie 9D is a bit narrow for me, 9.5D or 9E would be better

Whites 55 - 9E
Whites 4811 - 8.5E with some slight toe rub, 9E would probably be better

Nick's 55 - 8.5E with toe rub, 9E would be better

Standard sizing advice for all Whites/Nick's for me is 0.5 down so I would be 9.5D but I haven't tried that yet.

From the information you've provided my best guess is that your best fit will be a 9.5D for the Rancourt Beef Roll and a 10D for the Eastport (or any other Rancourt style).
Without trying on pair (s) you will not know for sure which model/size you like best. So, I suggest
going here https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/...&pf_opt_width=D&pf_opt_size=9&pf_opt_size=9.5

and ordering a pair or two of in-stock-now Rancourts. The company will likely ship the pair(s) to you tomorrow and from there you will learn which size is best. If you don't like what you receive Rancourt will accept a return and issue you a credit.
In other words, you have the opportunity to receive a pair or two of Rancourt within the next 5 days, learn your size, and from that point you still have time to order from the pre sale. For example, today you could order for immediate shipment a pair of Beef Roll size 9.5 and Eastport size 10.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads