• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

pwc123

Reaction score

Looks like the Dawson is all chromepak, and the other two are combinations of chromepak sole and chromexcel upper.

Right, other than that, can't really tell - especially between Grizzly and Lodge. Descriptions don't have much information.

Itsuo

Reaction score
Any of you Grizzly Boot owners know how resistant to water the boots are?

I know they have a bellowed tongue but I'm looking for something I can wear in the winter particularly when it snows. My Bluchers take on water and transfer it inside the shoe whenever they get wet so I'm a little skeptical. This would be a disaster for an outdoor boot.

I've been told using one of Quoddy's more oily leathers AND using their Organic Waterproofer can create a moisture resistant shoe but I wanted to make sure someone's actually done it.

Thanks!

broken_oracle

Reaction score
Yeah I'd also love to hear reviews from any Grizzly owners - looking to get a black CXL pair lined in sheepskin to get through this upcoming Chicago winter

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you Grizzly Boot owners know how resistant to water the boots are?

I know they have a bellowed tongue but I'm looking for something I can wear in the winter particularly when it snows. My Bluchers take on water and transfer it inside the shoe whenever they get wet so I'm a little skeptical. This would be a disaster for an outdoor boot.

I've been told using one of Quoddy's more oily leathers AND using their Organic Waterproofer can create a moisture resistant shoe but I wanted to make sure someone's actually done it.

Thanks!
If you waterproof it like that, (i think) you can handle powdery snow or light drizzle. However, if you will step in puddles and such, you'll get seepage in the seams, no matter what. Anytime the water level is above the seams. If you want a totally waterproof boot, get some bean duck boots.

Itsuo

Reaction score
Yeah I'd also love to hear reviews from any Grizzly owners - looking to get a black CXL pair lined in sheepskin to get through this upcoming Chicago winter
My thoughts exactly!

If you waterproof it like that, (i think) you can handle powdery snow or light drizzle. However, if you will step in puddles and such, you'll get seepage in the seams, no matter what. Anytime the water level is above the seams. If you want a totally waterproof boot, get some bean duck boots.
@coolarrow Do you have a pair? Either way, I suspect you're right.

I was at a trunk show and the Quoddy rep said the boots would hold against snow/puddles but I've also just heard from their customer service they probably wouldn't. I take your point on the bean-boot. I'm just desperately trying not to buy a "disposable" boot. I suppose I'll hold out for now, but Quoddy really needs to get something with at least a little bit of water protection!

A gore-tex layer maybe?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Itsuo I sold mine a while ago. I never used them as foul weather boots, though. I think it's just the nature of moc construction. There is a single stitch that holds the upper and sold together, as i understand it. You have a variety of welt construction methods that will be more robust to handling snow and water. Even then, they're not water proof. You have a lot of testimonials here about guys baking in snow seal to their goodyear welted boots esp. at the welt with a heat gun. That supposedly makes it water proof.

However, the grizzly boots are damn cool looking.

lascaux

Reaction score
Anyone have worn pictures of Navy blue boat mocs?
I recently got a pair of navy boat mocs but debating if I should exchange for brown.
I don't have any navy shoes so I am out of my comfort zone. I primarily have brown shoes (wolverine 1k miles in brown, iron rangers in amber, quoddy bluchers in burnt toast suede)

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maliseet question:

I had a pair of 11D that ripped in the heel in 2012. I sent them back to quoddy in late 2012, and they offered to replace them. I asked for an 11E (wider) in the new pair. The new 11E pair arrived almost 1 size shorter in length than the older 11D pair. I then exchanged those for a 12E an they fit like the old size 11s from before 2012.

Is the current Maliseet sizing the "old" size that was a little larger, or the "new" sizing that seems to be small?

Since I had 2 pairs that were 11 and 12 and were the same length, I have no idea what to order now.

southbound35

Reaction score

Anyone have worn pictures of Navy blue boat mocs?
I recently got a pair of navy boat mocs but debating if I should exchange for brown.
I don't have any navy shoes so I am out of my comfort zone. I primarily have brown shoes (wolverine 1k miles in brown, iron rangers in amber, quoddy bluchers in burnt toast suede)

Probably too late for my response to be of use. I recently bought a pair of the navy ranger mocs and really like them as a change of pace shoe from all the brown shoes I normally wear. I really haven't worn them enough for there to be much visible wear.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maliseet question:

I had a pair of 11D that ripped in the heel in 2012. I sent them back to quoddy in late 2012, and they offered to replace them. I asked for an 11E (wider) in the new pair. The new 11E pair arrived almost 1 size shorter in length than the older 11D pair. I then exchanged those for a 12E an they fit like the old size 11s from before 2012.

Is the current Maliseet sizing the "old" size that was a little larger, or the "new" sizing that seems to be small?

Since I had 2 pairs that were 11 and 12 and were the same length, I have no idea what to order now.

can anyone help?

(please? :))

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Thinking about the boat shoe in Horween
00ae.png
Chamois / Off White with the Vibrams.

I was thinking about Rancourt, but Quoddy offers a C width and Rancourt does not.

Any thoughts on that leather color?

I think I'll get a lining as well unless I am dissuaded here.

That just leaves sizing, since I'm a true 12. Should I just get 12?

Thanks

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I want to order a pair of from Quoddy for the summer and I have a couple of questions:

1.) Any experience in caring for the Horween - chamois leathers? I cant seem to find any direct advice on this leather.
2.) Maliseet Oxford vs. Classic Boat shoe for summer with shorts and chinos?

I was looking at some other companies but settled on Quoddy because they offer C widths and the Vibram Rugged sole which I really like.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are some good boat shoes. I bought a pair at O'Connell's in the Spring of last year, attracted to the fact that they offered a C width and O'Connell's had them right there to try on. Anyway, sailed in salt water with them on my feet all last Summer. Then got in a hurry putting the boat away and although intending to explore what was best for my new, expensive boat shoes, I didn't do anything special or even rinse them in fresh water, I just threw them in the cloth bag they came in and left that in lockup with other boat gear.
Got back to the boat last week, and dug out the bagged shoes. I was worried that they might have become mummified or damaged in some other way, but no, they went right on my feet and the leather is quite supple, the best "last season's" boat shoes I've ever had. They'll certainly go this season and maybe next Summer as well. I'm highly satisfied with them. I've stretched Sperry's into multi-season use before, but they're pretty crusty by season 2. I also like the fact that Quoddys are made in the USA.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these tukabuks from the Mr. Porter sale a few weeks ago. Got them for around $100. These are nubuck uppers and a crepe sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads