• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

SoleFreak

Reaction score
Took a trip out to Pediwear in Halifax, UK to try out 3 different shoe trees for my Lonsdales. The 3 that I picked were;

1. Crocket & Jones Natural Wood Shoe Tree RRP £59.95
2. Pediwear Collection Split Toe Fully Lasted Cedar Shoe Tree RRP £24.95
3. La Cordonnerie Anglaise Shoe Tree RRP 64.95

Didn't bother with any of the Saphir trees as they are best suited to a wider lasted shoe. Now much to my surprise the C&J were the best fitting tree. Without getting all technical, it just filled out the shoe in all right places, getting as close as possible to that original last (363) that the Lonsdale is made on. It also helped my OCD in getting a matching trees to go with my shoes, with the added benefit of having the shiny C&J metal plaque. Not the cheapest but definitely the best suited to this particular last, just my subjective opinion of course.

Last edited:

Galix

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

These arrived today :satisfied:

Saturninus

Reaction score

Took a trip out to Pediwear in Halifax, UK to try out 3 different shoe trees for my Lonsdales. The 3 that I picked were;

1. Crocket & Jones [COLOR=003333]Natural Wood Shoe Tree RRP £59.95[/COLOR]
[COLOR=003333]2. Pediwear Collection Split Toe Fully Lasted Cedar Shoe Tree RRP £24.95[/COLOR]
[COLOR=003333]3. La Cordonnerie Anglaise Shoe Tree RRP 64.95[/COLOR]

I got a pair of those shoe trees when I bought a pair of Audleys, and it seems to work perfectly for that last too (337). I guess the 337 and the 363 last are close enough.

I'm thinking about getting another pair to put in a pair of BB Peal made by C&J shoes that I suspect are built on the 360 last. These trees are a lot more snug in that shoe, but that's fine because I wouldn't mind to stretch those shoes a tiny bit in the instep area.

I've got another pair of C&J on the way (I hope) built on the 335 last, and I was thinking about getting these trees for that too.

But now those are three very different lasts - 337, 360 and 336, and I think I might be pushing my luck hope that these trees would work for all three

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the shoe trees that came with my C&J HG shoes some years ago (dark ones). I do not know if C&J still offer the same ones.

Last edited:

SoleFreak

Reaction score
I really like the shoe trees that came with my C&J HG shoes some years ago (dark ones). I do not know if C&J still offer the same ones.

They do still offer these, spoke to C&J today, apparently they are for another last, can't remember which, but the sales assistant did say that they are a longer, narrower tree (which can be seen in your pic) and wouldn't be a good fit for my 363 last otherwise I would of purchased them.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do still offer these, spoke to C&J today, apparently they are for another last, can't remember which, but the sales assistant did say that they are a longer, narrower tree (which can be seen in your pic) and wouldn't be a good fit for my 363 last otherwise I would of purchased them.
They came from UK with a pair of shoes on the 358 last.

Technica

Reaction score
I think they're definitely tougher to wear than brown. If I were you I would hold out for brown ones.

Quote:

Thanks for your responses.

I agree, I think the navy one would be a bit too restrictive, and definitely not a great color for the first boot!

Now I actually have a different conundrum: I was at a C&J store today and tried on both the tan Conistons and the dark brown Northcotes. Really loving both and now I cant choose between them!

I think the Northcotes look a bit sleeker due to the pointier toe last? Could these be worn in the countryside for short hikes and casually as well or are these too formal? Are the Northcotes more "fragile" than the Conistons?

I ask this because I commute to work mainly on my bicycle, and need shoes that are good agains the rain and general abuse (pedals, dirt etc from the ground etc). Would the grained leather on the Conistons be better? Or the waxed on the Northcotes???

Last edited:

Technica

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Northcotes, but they are definitely a dressier boot due to last shape and leather. I also ride a bicycle and I think the scotch grain on the Conistons would be more forgiving. Which boot fit better?

The pointier last on the Northcotes definitely fit me better, and the waxed leather felt more supple and comfortable. In terms of comfort I would say Northcotes win, look also a lot sleeker. But I'm not sure how appropriate it will be for cycling and casual weekend wear? Scotch grain leather > waxed smooth leather for toughness?

Last edited:

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pointier last on the Northcotes definitely fit me better, and the waxed leather felt more supple and comfortable. In terms of comfort I would say Northcotes win, look also a lot sleeker. But I'm not sure how appropriate it will be for cycling and casual weekend wear? Scotch grain leather > waxed smooth leather for toughness?
I would think any scratches or scuffs would be hidden better with scotch grain. I've never handled waxed calf though.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grained leather will almost always win out over straight wax calf in terms of toughness and standing up to abuse.

Edit: having said that though, fit is king.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads