• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horween Cordovan is the same throughout. What I buy from them is exactly what CJ buys from them. A lesser grade isn't worse per se but smaller.

Horween Shell is graded based on its size &
the usable area of the shell.
Blemishes are accounted for when it is graded.

Thus shopping leather versus maker is a good practice is you are shopping for value.

As you touched upon, I'd pay up for the last and the components that make up the shoe. Consequently, I'd always select CJ's Harvard over the LHS. I like the look of the Harvard, and that sole is top notch.

That's personal preference though and nothing to do with the overall make of Alden, although I do find CJ has superior consistency on its final product versus what Alden puts out.

It wouldn't even be fair to compare CJ's calf to Alden's.

I have never paid attention to Alden's calf offerings. Is it much less nice compared to C&J?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. It's public, bur hidden enough to be disingenuous.

Sadly, imo, some signs of CJ heading down the AE path.

Odder makes, transition to ecom, getting rid of mail order and firing the dept, hiding their materials as we've seen.

Will probably do good business unfortunately.

Like most companies, they are attempting to increase profits. I get it. I don't like it. I guess I accept it. Will I continue to purchase from CJ? Probably not, but that's more to do with having fulfilled my wants from them.

TBH, there are so many options available where you can pay less or more and be perfectly happy.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, then. I mean, who knows? Will dress shoes even exist in 15 years?

Yes. Though there will be further entropy.

In the early 90s, Johnston Murphy and even Colehan was an OK shoe. AE was great. Crockett was traditional and steadfast.

Now JM and Colehan are trash, AE is willfully obscuring their processes, making weird shoes, and on an always on sale model.

CJ is a long way from that, bur the weirder makes and ecom push make me wonder where it will be in 15 years (let alone 30).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Though there will be further entropy.

In the early 90s, Johnston Murphy and even Colehan was an OK shoe. AE was great. Crockett was traditional and steadfast.

Now JM and Colehan are trash, AE is willfully obscuring their processes, making weird shoes, and on an always on sale model.

CJ is a long way from that, bur the weirder makes and ecom push make me wonder where it will be in 15 years (let alone 30).

Yeah. I have AE from the late 80s/early 90s and they are remarkably beautiful shoes. Like, sincerely great shoes. My Chesters from 1988 are brilliantly beautiful - on par with my Crockett and Jones. Nowadays, you can certainly tell the difference between AE and C&J.

Johnston and Murphy was also an American mainstay. Plus, you had Florsheim still making beautiful shoes back then, as well as Hanover, etc.

AE's new business model of everything BUT dress shoes makes me worry that they are going to exit the dress shoe business entirely. They simply don't make new dress shoes anymore. I'd be surprised if anything other than the Park Ave and Strand is offered in 10 years, with everything else being boots and sneakers.

What is telling about AE is that if you buy the sneaker, you get a made in the DR shoe - but it is the exact same upper as the dress shoe. So tell me, how is it Made in the US? That feels deceptive and I don't like it, though at last some of the actual production is in America, which is better than nothing.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't as supple. Doesn't looks as good after years of usage. Doesn't take a polish or develop a patina like CJ's leathers do. Yeah, it's not close.

Thank you. I have never really bothered with Alden calf offerings, as they are priced pretty steep for a pair of calf shoes that don't seem especially much nicer than what is offered by their competitors in the US and abroad.

That being said, their cordovan models are very nice.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those read
Thank you. I have never really bothered with Alden calf offerings, as they are priced pretty steep for a pair of calf shoes that don't seem especially much nicer than what is offered by their competitors in the US and abroad.

That being said, their cordovan models are very nice.

Outside of cordovan and the CXL Indys, I don't bother myself with their offerings. I'm sure I'll have my name dragged through the mud by the Alden folks.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those read

Outside of cordovan and the CXL Indys, I don't bother myself with their offerings. I'm sure I'll have my name dragged through the mud by the Alden folks.

Nah. Almost everyone buys Alden for cordovan. No one is going to really be angry over that. It's what they're known for + the indy boot.

When I was in Germany and went to some shoe stores, they basically used the name Alden for "cordovan". Apparently, they understood as an American, I like horses on my feets. lol.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of dragging names through the mud, I don't want folks thinking I dislike CJ. Far from it. I believe them to offer the best value amongst English makers. Furthermore, whilst I make no secret about professing my love for EG as my preferred English maker, I actually consider CJ the better value.

I'm just not a proponent of Calvary Calf 😊.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah. Almost everyone buys Alden for cordovan. No one is going to really be angry over that. It's what they're known for + the indy boot.

When I was in Germany and went to some shoe stores, they basically used the name Alden for "cordovan". Apparently, they understood as an American, I like horses on my feets. lol.

Color 8 from Alden has to be the best iteration of that color. No one, imo, produces a more beautiful version of that shell.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Color 8 from Alden has to be the best iteration of that color. No one, imo, produces a more beautiful version of that shell.

Agreed. It's the classic, it's the original, and it's one of a kind. Hell, Alden is the reason that that colour is even called cordovan by many people.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of dragging names through the mud, I don't want folks thinking I dislike CJ. Far from it. I believe them to offer the best value amongst English makers. Furthermore, whilst I make no secret about professing my love for EG as my preferred English maker, I actually consider CJ the better value.

I'm just not a proponent of Calvary Calf 😊.

Same.

I love C&J. I completely dig their rustic, English country style shoes and boots especially. I can't get that from any other maker, and I absolutely adore the footwear I have from this company.

Contrariwise, I think EG is a bit expensive for what they offer compared to C&J handgrade. If I am going to buy EG, I might as well go bespoke which can be had for not much more expensive.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I should point out that C&J has been using cavalry calf since at least 2012 so it’s not anything new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads