• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Gustaf

Reaction score
I wonder how many Conistons are too many. My primary issue is that nearly everything in my collection is either a brogue or cap toe. I probably should diversify but will mostly end up getting more of the same.

Double digits, I guess!

I would love to diversify more, but the older I get the more appealing the familiar gets.

On a more serious note, how does the ride quality of the Coniston on Ridgeway compare to the ones on Dainite soles?

I only have a few miles on them but they are noticeably more comfortable! Not that I was unhappy with the Conistons on studded Dainites; they have been my most comfortable welted shoes so far. But the Ridgeway soles bring it up a notch.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double digits, I guess!

I would love to diversify more, but the older I get the more appealing the familiar gets.

I only have a few miles on them but they are noticeably more comfortable! Not that I was unhappy with the Conistons on studded Dainites; they have been my most comfortable welted shoes so far. But the Ridgeway soles bring it up a notch.
Yes I imagined so as well. It’s safe to say that I pretty much hate Dainite. That being said, I find that having that sole on my Trickers is far more uncomfortable than on the C&J models so who knows what’s what.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Splash of 🥃 as it’s Sunday…
16A924AC-0B34-41A8-9AF6-E78809B4BA37.jpeg

JPJ109

Reaction score
New boots arrived :cheers:
I'm second guessing myself on sizing though as they seem quite roomy in comparison to my RM's which are 1/2 size smaller and as a Chelsea boot are designed to be snug.
Bit of heel slippage but that is to be expected with a new stiff boot and Danite sole.
Worse case is that I put a thin inner in, or wear thicker socks as I typically use dress socks.
The lacing is done tight and looks OK but I wonder how much stretch there will be..
It's not easy for me to swap to 1/2 size smaller either which may be better as the 325 last is quite roomy , arrrggghhh...

IMG_7316.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7316.jpg
    IMG_7316.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 51

hysteria

Reaction score
Very nice, this is my best fitting and most worn loafer

Is the main diff b/w Harvard II and Boston (besides shell), the heel cup fitting?
I've been seeing comments that apparently the Boston heel isn't a great fitting for a lot of people, but Harvard II only seems to come in Cordovan Shell.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the main diff b/w Harvard II and Boston (besides shell), the heel cup fitting?
I've been seeing comments that apparently the Boston heel isn't a great fitting for a lot of people, but Harvard II only seems to come in Cordovan Shell.
Yes, that's a fair comparison. Harvard 2 is on the 376 last and Harvard/Boston is on the 314. They updated the heel on the 376 last and it's a game changer. I sold my Harvard's due to last and fit. Harvard 2 comes in dark brown suede I believe as well.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New boots arrived :cheers:
I'm second guessing myself on sizing though as they seem quite roomy in comparison to my RM's which are 1/2 size smaller and as a Chelsea boot are designed to be snug.
Bit of heel slippage but that is to be expected with a new stiff boot and Danite sole.
Worse case is that I put a thin inner in, or wear thicker socks as I typically use dress socks.
The lacing is done tight and looks OK but I wonder how much stretch there will be..
It's not easy for me to swap to 1/2 size smaller either which may be better as the 325 last is quite roomy , arrrggghhh...

View attachment 1794972
A slim leather insole would take care of your worries.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, this is my best fitting and most worn loafer

May not come as a surprise for those familiar with my postings that EG is (by some measure) my favorite English maker, BUT CJ (by some measure) makes the best fitting loafers.

I believe this because and I'm not sure how they do it, it always seems people are able to find a CJ loafer that fits well.

Besides the fit, the Harvard always looks 👌🏻.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads