• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I have 3 pair of Coniston in 325 (black, tan and brown all in Scotch Grain) and 2 pair of Islay. Both in 7.5E. The Islay has much more room all around and I have to wear thick socks. The Coniston for me is a snug fit and I can wear it with thinner socks as well, with the Islay I can not. For some reason the Coniston in tan do feel sturdier/narower on the foot as the other ones, the leather feels thicker. The black Coniston feel the most "loose". As a side note: I also have a pair of black Skye in 335 in 7.5E and they are more ore less in between size wise.

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I also have the black R/O Conistons in 7.5E. With time, they have conformed to my feet and the tightness in the forefoot has subsided, but took some work. It's a thinner sock boot for me and I'd do an an 8E next time. Just trying to decide whether the Islay should be a 7.5 or 8. I'm quite happy with my Moltons in an 8E, which is on the 336 and I believe considered roomier than the 325 in the forefoot.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 pair of Coniston in 325 (black, tan and brown all in Scotch Grain) and 2 pair of Islay. Both in 7.5E. The Islay has much more room all around and I have to wear thick socks. The Coniston for me is a snug fit and I can wear it with thinner socks as well, with the Islay I can not. For some reason the Coniston in tan do feel sturdier/narower on the foot as the other ones, the leather feels thicker. The black Coniston feel the most "loose". As a side note: I also have a pair of black Skye in 335 in 7.5E and they are more ore less in between size wise.
You are EXACTLY the person I look for when searching for the reason I should get more Conistons. ;-)

Jokes aside, how does the leather on the black grain pair behave? I love the marbling process on the tan and dark brown versions but wasn’t sure if the black grain showed as much character. Any photos would be great for comparison.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Any private member organising a GMTO surely must do this in coordination with a manufacturer?

I have been a member here since before I worked for C&J and gave you the heads up when I started working for C&J in 2013, which seemed the right thing to do. Since then I have continued to post in a private capacity, occasionally even posting shoes by competitors from my private collection in waywrn...I'm a shoe geek after all, thats what drew me to your forum.

What I consider the faux-pas here, is that eight years after I gave you the heads up that I started to work for C&J, you go straight to my employer to complain about me for a single post you deem too commercial. You could have just sent me a message.

In hindsight I fully understand that you need to protect your business by ensuring the exclusive benefits you offer the paying affiliate vendors and also see how my posts may have upset that balance.
In my defence, each of my few GMTO posts were a reaction or answer to questions asked regarding a GMTO that was already in the pipeline. I see that responding to someone in the thread "that the GMTO was still open but going to close that day" was a blunder on my behalf and an unfairness towards your affiliates. Don't worry, it won't happen again.
I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication.

In regards to the GMTOs, of course a member needs to be in touch with a maker. However, in the past, some members have been approached by reps to propose GMTOs. I would consider that an unacceptable, as would recompense in cash or in kind.

Thanks.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own boots in both the 325 and 365 (Islay) last in the same size? Mind commenting on the additional room afforded by the latter? ?
For me, I take the same UK8.5 size in both. The Islay is much more comfortable, to my widish at the ball foot.

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the helpful info. I also have the black R/O Conistons in 7.5E. With time, they have conformed to my feet and the tightness in the forefoot has subsided, but took some work. It's a thinner sock boot for me and I'd do an an 8E next time. Just trying to decide whether the Islay should be a 7.5 or 8. I'm quite happy with my Moltons in an 8E, which is on the 336 and I believe considered roomier than the 325 in the forefoot.
My guess is that an Islay in 7.5E will be just fine fore you. Just went for a 3 hour walk with my dark brown Coniston with really thin wool socks and they are roomy. The Islay would had cause me blisters because too much space with thin socks. On the other hand: when it's really bad weather, like snow etc. the Islay would be better. If I had just one shoe option it would be the Islay. Or the Snowdon....hmm. For looks the Islay, for durability the Snowdon. Best is to get as much boots as you can.

Last edited:

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
You are EXACTLY the person I look for when searching for the reason I should get more Conistons. ;-)

Jokes aside, how does the leather on the black grain pair behave? I love the marbling process on the tan and dark brown versions but wasn’t sure if the black grain showed as much character. Any photos would be great for comparison.

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Well, the dark brown pair of Coniston I have like 3 years and age just perfect, they get more beautiful day after day. One of my top 3 boots. Took me three weeks to break them in. The black ones took just three days to break in, but they are not (yet!) quite as nice and lack character comparing to the dark brown pair. I will use them the coming fall and winter in the mountains and give them a beating and then maybe they will show their real soul. Then we have the tan pair...stubborn leather, a little bit like my Snowdon's that took months to break in. They also will get the fall/winter test. Will put them in the sun to get a nice patina as well. I took some quick pictures but doesn't show the boots as they are but im a bad photographer.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2d40.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2d40.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 165

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
View attachment 1670635
The Molton spotted in the wilds of an open office in SF!

Hey we're Molton buddies today! Saw your post while sitting here a few miles north of you in San Rafael. Waiting in the dentist office ? so didn't want to look like a putz framing a better photo lol.
IMG_1431.JPG

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey we're Molton buddies today! Saw your post while sitting here a few miles north of you in San Rafael. Waiting in the dentist office ? so didn't want to look like a putz framing a better photo lol. View attachment 1670728
If it's acceptable to do gaudy photoshoots and take pompous selfies in public, then I shall take shoe pictures and occasionally outfit pictures. ?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do are you guys liking the Molton's? They're in the mix for next purchase.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Very solid, heavy-weight chukka ready for the elements. Just what I needed for sunny California :rolleyes:, right? The 336 last is really nice for my wider foot, so these were all day comfortable for me right out of the box.They look great with jeans as you saw in Cooly's photo. In short, I love 'em!

IMG_1432.jpeg

Cooly

Reaction score
Agree with Roger, very comfortable right out of the box, and where them at least twice a week. Will be seeing a ton of wear this fall/winter on me. Great with jean and chinos…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads