• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s he deal with the Sandhurst? Just the Coniston in shoe form with a more compact heel cup? Anyone have any experience with it?

aussiejake

Reaction score
For replacement laces have you tried C&J direct? I had a good experience recently, they'll mail out for something like GBP 4 per pair + shipping.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t worn these in a while.
85EB77AC-5D9D-4A41-96B7-9D355DAAB0AF.jpeg
901017AB-51D2-4117-91F7-29275E2E6D04.jpeg

TJS

Reaction score
What’s he deal with the Sandhurst? Just the Coniston in shoe form with a more compact heel cup? Anyone have any experience with it?
I've tried them on. Really liked how they looked and felt on, so considering picking them up.

They are superficially similar in a few ways to the Coniston, but the sole is different (Vibram cleated rather than Dainite), which also has an aesthetic impact, being visibly chunkier, which along with the bold eyelets make them less elegant than the Coniston. I don't think that's a bad thing, for instance the Sandhurst work really with selvedge denim (which I happened to be wearing), whereas even the most casual non-suede leather shoes (as opposed to boots) almost always look too smart for jeans. On me at least.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried them on. Really liked how they looked and felt on, so considering picking them up.

They are superficially similar in a few ways to the Coniston, but the sole is different (Vibram cleated rather than Dainite), which also has an aesthetic impact, being visibly chunkier, which along with the bold eyelets make them less elegant than the Coniston. I don't think that's a bad thing, for instance the Sandhurst work really with selvedge denim (which I happened to be wearing), whereas even the most casual non-suede leather shoes (as opposed to boots) almost always look too smart for jeans. On me at least.
Sounds good. My only issue is I don't really like shoes,even though i'm going to be living in warmer temps for the next few years, so this poses a bit of a dilemma. I'm waiting to see what C&J has in store for the newer seasons. Their insta account has on occasion teased some newer styles around AW this year so maybe a full boot version of the Sandhurst aka Chunky Coniston? ;-) I'd go for that.

aquatherm

Reaction score
For replacement laces have you tried C&J direct? I had a good experience recently, they'll mail out for something like GBP 4 per pair + shipping.

I am after slightly shorter laces (100cm/39") than the ones supplied and CJ only offer them in short length for shoes and really long boot laces, nothing in between

TJS

Reaction score
Sounds good. My only issue is I don't really like shoes,even though i'm going to be living in warmer temps for the next few years, so this poses a bit of a dilemma. I'm waiting to see what C&J has in store for the newer seasons. Their insta account has on occasion teased some newer styles around AW this year so maybe a full boot version of the Sandhurst aka Chunky Coniston? ;-) I'd go for that.
Waiting to see what the new AW collection holds is probably a good idea. Like you I'm much more of a boot guy so I understand the dilemma. It's why I've been on the lookout for a shoe that is both rugged and attractive enough to be worn with the same sort of clothes I wear with my various English 'country' boots, that look as good without appearing too dressy. Evidently it's a much more difficult balance to strike with shoes.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting to see what the new AW collection holds is probably a good idea. Like you I'm much more of a boot guy so I understand the dilemma. It's why I've been on the lookout for a shoe that is both rugged and attractive enough to be worn with the same sort of clothes I wear with my various English 'country' boots, that look as good without appearing too dressy. Evidently it's a much more difficult balance to strike with shoes.
Visible ankles, bro, visible ankles. Kills the look when I show up with my dainty joints. :p

Braid

Reaction score
What about the Pembroke? Or the Trickers Bourton? Iconic British Country shoes in my opinion and casual enough alternative to boots

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the Pembroke? Or the Trickers Bourton? Iconic British Country shoes in my opinion and casual enough alternative to boots
Oh absolutely. Have considered both, especially the Pembroke in brown grain and the Bourton in Sign Kudu when it was on sale. Still, I'm basically not a shoe person at all, and chukkas are as close to shoes as I will go. Might be time to force myself out of this habit and see where it gets me, but on the other hand this does limit my wanton purchasing just a TINY little bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads