• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have been checking this daily and had became an obsession to snag the last ‘Galway’ derivative in brown suede, duly snagged. That’s now three of the buggers under house arrest with me courtesy of Mr James. They come with Dainite as opposed to advertised Ridgeway if anyone was looking at the last few pairs.

stay safe gents.

lol_12345

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Richard James is having a 30% off sale their shoes. Some of them are made by C&J, including pebble grain monks. Use their U.K. site.

anyone know if the dark brown suede chelseas are made by C&J and if so what last?

Maio

Reaction score
I have been checking this daily and had became an obsession to snag the last ‘Galway’ derivative in brown suede, duly snagged. That’s now three of the buggers under house arrest with me courtesy of Mr James. They come with Dainite as opposed to advertised Ridgeway if anyone was looking at the last few pairs.

stay safe gents.

I managed to snag a pair of the "Islay" thanks to our master enabler Crafty :)

Has anyone compared the Richard James Islay to the C&J one?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I managed to snag a pair of the "Islay" thanks to our master enabler Crafty :)

Has anyone compared the Richard James Islay to the C&J one?

Does the brogueing look larger than the C&J version?

Absolute bargain either way.

I like the plain toe but not too keen on cavalry calf

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, out of curiosity do any of you know about these shoes? Are they actually made from shell? When did “polo” white label C&Js?

I always thought of polo as Ralph Lauren’s entry level, but these look quite nice.

Yes, those are shell. And this model runs large, probably a full size. I have a 12 gently used if you are interested.
The fit of the Marlow Tassel loafers is tough. In my experience they have a narrow toebox and a wide heel, which makes for a tough fit. Not sure if I would say they run a full size large.

Maio

Reaction score
Does the brogueing look larger than the C&J version?

Absolute bargain either way.

I like the plain toe but not too keen on cavalry calf

Yeah the brogueing is definitely different. Slightly larger. It does look very dark in the pics compared to the C&J version. Hoping that's just the lighting in the photos... We'll see, very happy with the purchase though :)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fit of the Marlow Tassel loafers is tough. In my experience they have a narrow toebox and a wide heel, which makes for a tough fit. Not sure if I would say they run a full size large.

yup, almost think the worst combination for a loafer...

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in the market for a Chukka and had decided on loake pimlico, but I have now been offered a good deal on C&J chiltern. Can anyone offer advice on the C&J 224 last compared to the loake capital?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in the market for a Chukka and had decided on loake pimlico, but I have now been offered a good deal on C&J chiltern. Can anyone offer advice on the C&J 224 last compared to the loake capital?

The Chiltern appeals to me but I have heard that it is difficult for many people to get a good fit.

Does a shop currently have it on sale?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can’t speak to the Loake, but C&J’s 224 last is pretty generous. Not Alden’s Barrie last generous (no need to size down) but it does have a nice, roomy toe box. In my opinion, an excellent chukka boot last. C&J states it’s true to fit, so you’ll have to feel it for yourself. Just make sure whomever you purchase it from, they have a solid return policy.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the Loake, but C&J’s 224 last is pretty generous. Not Alden’s Barrie last generous (no need to size down) but it does have a nice, roomy toe box. In my opinion, an excellent chukka boot last. C&J states it’s true to fit, so you’ll have to feel it for yourself. Just make sure whomever you purchase it from, they have a solid return policy.

Sounds promising. I think the negative comments I have heard related to a wide heel.

Good to hear they work for you and I hope to try them sometime.

To me personally it is one of the best looking chukka boots.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds promising. I think the negative comments I have heard related to a wide heel.

Good to hear they work for you and I hope to try them sometime.

To me personally it is one of the best looking chukka boots.

I have the Terbury as well, and it’s certainly more generous than that.

I don’t have a very fussy foot either. Most of C&J’s lasts seem to work for me.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cavour just launched a mid season quarantine sale. I live in Norway and returns will be easy. Decided to try a pair, if they dont work out i can fall back on the loake pimlicos. Will post some pics and compare when they arrive.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cavour just launched a mid season quarantine sale. I live in Norway and returns will be easy. Decided to try a pair, if they dont work out i can fall back on the loake pimlicos. Will post some pics and compare when they arrive.

I figured that was the deal you were talking about. Some nice shoes on sale. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads