• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Friends, any of you own the Ross? I’m VVVVERY interested in acquiring a pair. Looks like the ultimate winter boot, but I have no experience with the 378 last and the vibram cleated sole. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I don’t own the boot. I’d asked about a mto Galway in a different leather and C and J said that their leather buyer said the hurricane was one of the best leathers he’d handled in his career. I have a pull up Galway already.

andiandi

Reaction score
Grasmere today :)
AB9513A7-4ACB-45F7-8DCB-A813186225C6.jpeg
53D0455D-4ADE-4666-8FF7-D1008FCE17EF.jpeg

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Edgeware 348E from a few years back that I found a bit narrow.

Recently, I got a pair of Highbury of the same last and width but found it a bit roomier.

Does anyone know if C&J changed their last? Maybe it is just the different between a derby and oxford.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends, any of you own the Ross? I’m VVVVERY interested in acquiring a pair. Looks like the ultimate winter boot, but I have no experience with the 378 last and the vibram cleated sole. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I honestly don’t know why Crockett don’t make these boots on the 228 last and have a Ridgeway sole. They could have a Snowdon or Radnor in several different colours and leathers. I can just see the shoe nuts now, lining up their dozen pairs to get a hundred likes on Style forum. ?

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pembrokes after a bit of New Year’s touchup with some Saphir cream
View attachment 1311761
Despite my love of Shell Cordovan, what I’m about to say may be sacrilegious but oh well. Is it just me or does the Pembroke look infinitely better in tan grain calf than whiskey shell? Something about that shoe in whiskey shell just looks weird or odd. Someone please tell me I’m crazy!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite my love of Shell Cordovan, what I’m about to say may be sacrilegious but oh well. Is it just me or does the Pembroke look infinitely better in tan grain calf than whiskey shell? Something about that shoe in whiskey shell just looks weird or odd. Someone please tell me I’m crazy!
You’re crazy...lol, they’re both amazing looking....and I hardly ever buy shoes. I need both of those.

Houta

Reaction score
Well, they both look great however I have to admit that the tan grain is my favourite as well! Pity C&J don’t have it anymore.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
No you are not crazy. The Pembroke is a country derby style. For my taste I cannot imagine to buy such a style in shell cordovan. However I would accept a Swansea in shell as last 341 is sleeker and it does not feature a storm welt. But that is only my personal preference.

I also think that people over here over esteem shell cordovan in general. I really like my three pairs of shell but there are so many other great leathers for shoes.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No you are not crazy. The Pembroke is a country derby style. For my taste I cannot imagine to buy such a style in shell cordovan. However I would accept a Swansea in shell as last 341 is sleeker and it does not feature a storm welt. But that is only my personal preference.

I also think that people over here over esteem shell cordovan in general. I really like my three pairs of shell but there are so many other great leathers for shoes.

That’s right, we here in the SF community do esteem shell, and rightly so. You can take that shell hate back over to Instagram....lol.

Seriously though, I do find it interesting that my experience has been, (generally speaking), that us Americans (Japanese too), really love our shell, whereas it seems Europeans not so much. Then again, I could just be stuck in an echo chamber.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
C&J no longer sell tan grain make-ups? Say it ain’t so... tan grain Pembrokes have been on my wish list for a while ☹
Some Chelsea boots were on Budapester (those are mine) in black too. Not sure of sizes etc... look better on.

Attachments

• 217CC588-034C-4B04-9E7C-1A2020352087.jpeg
    217CC588-034C-4B04-9E7C-1A2020352087.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 95

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads