• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s right, we here in the SF community do esteem shell, and rightly so. You can take that shell hate back over to Instagram....lol.

Seriously though, I do find it interesting that my experience has been, (generally speaking), that us Americans (Japanese too), really love our shell, whereas it seems Europeans not so much. Then again, I could just be stuck in an echo chamber.

I do feel like Americans seem to love shell more than Brits do in general, just the impression I get from forum posts.

Also the English shoemakers don't seem to use it as much as the likes of Alden etc.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I do feel like Americans seem to love shell more than Brits do in general, just the impression I get from forum posts.

Also the English shoemakers don't seem to use it as much as the likes of Alden etc.
Our weather is sh#t! It’s not anything anyone who I know is even vaguely aware of.

Houta

Reaction score
The Pembroke in tan scotch grain is still shown on C&J's website.
This is a much darker tan colour. The one on C&J website that is!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 61

Houta

Reaction score
I think that’s actually the same. Picture just makes it look a little darker.
That would be good news! I will be near Jermyn street shop in a few weeks and will check the colour and confirm. I might even buy them if they were really light tan!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be good news! I will be near Jermyn street shop in a few weeks and will check the colour and confirm. I might even buy them if they were really light tan!

I personally like the tan Pembroke when it is a bit darker. I would imagine this is achieved with application of darker polish and creams generally whereas the use of neutral cream or conditioner will allow it to stay light.

The same goes for the Coniston in tan grain, I have seen quite a bit of variation in colour, possibly down to the individual owners care regime/products.

My own Coniston’s have darkened slightly through light use of mahogany wax and dark brown cream.

So I think if you like the tan grain on the lighter side it can be achieved easily enough. I don’t think C&J’s website photo is too far from the true colour new but there seem to be variations in shade from new I think.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know why Crockett don’t make these boots on the 228 last and have a Ridgeway sole. They could have a Snowdon or Radnor in several different colours and leathers. I can just see the shoe nuts now, lining up their dozen pairs to get a hundred likes on Style forum. ?

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that Ben Silver had some models of C&J, I bought the Dark Brown Galways and they will be my first C&J boots.
Great choice! I got my Galway2s from the Jermyn St store almost 3 years ago as my first C&J boot and my first ever boot!. Didn't realize how special they were so I just wore them everywhere. Walked miles in Paris, London and Madrid plus my weekly wear in the US. They are still going strong and I'm wearing them today and they still look great.
Here is how they look today...
20200107_154306.jpg

And when I bought them 3 years ago..
IMG_0132.JPG

Mallaig

Reaction score
Great choice! I got my Galway2s from the Jermyn St store almost 3 years ago as my first C&J boot and my first ever boot!. Didn't realize how special they were so I just wore them everywhere. Walked miles in Paris, London and Madrid plus my weekly wear in the US. They are still going strong and I'm wearing them today and they still look great.
Here is how they look today...
View attachment 1312756
And when I bought them 3 years ago..
View attachment 1312757
Wow. I really like how they have aged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads