1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I'm there. I'll hit Jermyn St during the week and see if I still feel the need to buy something by Friday. I really don't "need" another boot but a EG Galway would be a nice find too.

2. TomOwen

TomOwen Well-Known Member

Another thing you should note is that if you buy shoes in the UK (or pretty much anything you intend to take back to the U.S.) you can claim a tax refund, you'll get about 10% of the price paid back at the airport.

3. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Nice pickup :)

4. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Me too, the cigars and associated paraphernalia in there are enough to make me want to take up smoking again after 30 years [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Considering floating a BNIB pair of 8.5E Snuff Newquays on B&S later today, rather than paying return shipping to UK (I'm in US). Lovely shoe in perfect condition, the 341 just doesn't work for me.

PM if interested...

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Isn't it closer to 17%?

7. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

How much you get back depends on which service that the shop uses for the refund of VAT. If the service used is Travelex (I am unsure of the name) - whichever one has their processing center in Bratislava, Slovakia - the service takes a hefty chunk of the refund as "processing fee". Some of the smaller shops do their own directly - Ede & Ravenscroft and New & Lingwood do their own VAT refunds, and they take much lower fees for processing, with a credit back to the credit card on which the purchase was made.

I suspect that C & J uses the service located in Bratislava, which means you'll get only about 10% back on the purchase.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. othertravel

Do you know what service Harrods or Selfridges uses?

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

In Harrods' case, whichever one charges the most service fee - my last purchase from them, about half the VAT refund was taken up as "processing fee", I strongly suspect that Selfridges is the same deal.

10. othertravel

Thanks for this. Looking online, it looks like Harrods takes a chunk when they process it themselves. Does anybody know whether I can just obtain the VAT receipt and fill out the form myself?

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Bit of a hassle. I would just have them ship it directly home and consider the cost of shipping the convenience of not having to deal with all that. I think You'll avoid having to deal with keeping the shoes with you at the VAT reclamation, not worry about the box taking up too much space, and I think you avoid the processing fee too. Really up to everyone's own personal decision as to how that GBP30 is spent.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  12. TomOwen

Yeah, but the point was that @lagsun was going to be in the UK anyway, so I was just telling him that he could get his VAT back. And plus, he has the benefit of trying on the shoes at the store and having a plethora of models and lasts to pick from.

13. Churchill W

Right, my suggestion was to ship it instead of carry it back.

14. TomOwen

Ah understood, this is probably the best course of action honestly.

15. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

If you have anything shipped from the UK to the US, the store will deduct the entirety of the VAT from the price at that point, and then add on any shipping fees, which would allow one to try on goods, and avoid the hassle of doing VAT reclamation at the airport.

The only downside to this is if the shipper charges you customs on the goods being received into the US.

3 people like this.
  16. Churchill W

From what I have read lately, if it is under $800 they shouldn't, though there is a chance they may charge brokerage fees. I don't remember if my last pair of C&J came through Royal Mail or one of the more expensive couriers (UPS or Fedex), but I did not have to pay any duties or brokerage fees on it.

17. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thanks for all the advice. Shipping is a good option but I might want to wear right away :) I'm wearing my first pair of C&Js today, which I purchased a few years back at the Paris store. They electronically submitted the VAT info and I broke them in walking around the city. The only hassle was submitting paperwork at CDG on the way home and waiting for the refund to appear on my credit card. Otherwise it was a painless experience. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. mosy

mosy Senior member

[​IMG]

Peal & Co.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    2 people like this.
  19. LeatherFoot

LeatherFoot Senior member

Yes. You will likely find that there is more room in front of your toes in the 348 as it is elongated while the 341 will be slightly roomier in the instep. In terms of the heel I don't feel much of a difference. Keep in mind that our feet are likely different; however, most people will be the same size across most lasts from a given shoemaker, and most makers make their lasts with that in mind.

20. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Another sizing question here folks. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone sized down for their 341 lasted loafers (Sydney) compared to their 341 lasted shoes? Looking at a Sydney or Teign but leaning toward Sydney.