1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

gotta be honest, it sure looks like they do to me. will snap a picture later.

disappointing because lower end brands use full leather insoles. It really is sort of the foundation of a GY shoe.

2. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

X-post from the Harlech whiskey mto thread:

Spent about two hours at the c&j store on Jermyn St (#92) today. Incredible experience! Not sure about the negative reviews I've read but the customer service was outstanding. Ended up buying a pair of Harlechs in dark brown shell. I love the 341 last; fits my foot really well. Was tempted by the Coniston but the 325 last wasn't as good a fit for me as the 341. For me, the 341 last was tts (size down one for the UK size). The 325 last was wider so I had to size down 1/2 (1 1/2 from US to UK size) but decided to pass. My wife actually spent more there than I did!

I am still on board for the whiskey Harlech mto. More so now than ever. I will provide more info later, need to get some sleep. But I gotta give a shout out to Will at the store. He made the experience the best. C&Jonline, if you're listening, your guy Will there is a star!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The 341 is a great last, although I really like the 325 too. The 240 I can do without.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I have to agree (for my feet anyway) - I have the perforated cap toe oxford from Peal and Co on this last and it's one of my least comfortable shoes.

5. Crat

Crat Senior member

341 is my fav. classic last too; not too pointy and not too round : )

Do you mean insoles or insocks?
    It is my understanding that handgrade shoes have full leather insoles and full leather insocks. The insock is just a thin leather 'padding'. The classic collection have full leather insoles and half leather insocks (the heel part). You can see the leather insole where the insock ends.
    Fwiw, most of my shoes (Alden, EG, Corthay) have half leather insocks.

HG
    [​IMG]

Classic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Just to clear up any confusion. The material right below where you foot goes isn't always necessarily the insole right? It could just be the sock liner and the insole could still be below that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Is Will the young sales guy who wears a nice Rolex datejust?

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

for reference, here is a shot of my hallams. If this isn't a leatherboard insole, I don't know what is:

[​IMG]

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

On a goodyear welted shoe the insole is stitched through isn't it? I don't see any stitching through this. My Drummonds are the same as your Hallams.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

no, from my experience only bologna or blake shoes have visible stitches on the insole.

1 person likes this.
  11. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

+1

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Final details for the whiskey cordovan Harlech MTO are up on the MTO thread... It'll be a 1st come, 1st served deal with a maximum of 12 orders available. PM me with any details or contact Lauren directly to place the order.

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

One if the classics: [​IMG]

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Sorry, I don't wear watches so didn't notice his watch. He was maybe late twenties, trim-looking guy with brown hair --- just so personable, helpful with advice and suggestions but with just the right amount of deference to customers even though he was so knowledgeable.

15. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Would you wear Northcote boots under a suit?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Many would. Personally, I typically wear bals with suits so I would opt for a different boot. Careful with the speed hooks because they can get caught in the stitching and pull on it.

17. S K M

S K M Senior member

NOOOOOOOOOO....

18. S K M

S K M Senior member

Actually I wouldn't wear any kind of boot with suits. Only possible exception could be EG's Shannons, which I don't own, but still then I consider it weird looking...

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

It's fine to wear a chelsea boot with suits.

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I regularly wear my bal boots with suits... actually, outside of suits, bal boots tend to look a little off (except my shell AS Millers which I can look a little more casual).

1 person likes this.